copy/paste not working

rikona
Running Ubuntu 16.04. Also use other pgms from KDE - kate, falkon,
konq, etc, which I use a lot, and other misc non-Ubuntu pgms. Have had a
few copy/paste problems in the past - usually in/out of KDE pgms. But
after the last couple of updates I can't do any copy/paste involving
any KDE pgm. Also copy paste from one KDE pgm to another doesn't work,
and even trying to copy text from one place to another within the SAME
kate document doesn't work! It is MUCH worse after updates.

Is there a way to get this to work? It seems as though KDE stores
copy/paste info into some place that no longer responds to any commands.
Is that what is going on? All suggestions for fixing this, or even
explaining it, would be much appreciated. [fixing would be better :-)) ]

Rik

Re: copy/paste not working

Keith-6
Check out the KDE clipper program. It usually runs in a tray and you can
select the paste to use.

On 7/20/2019 9:52 PM, rikona wrote:

> Running Ubuntu 16.04. Also use other pgms from KDE - kate, falkon,
> konq, etc, which I use a lot, and other misc non-Ubuntu pgms. Have had a
> few copy/paste problems in the past - usually in/out of KDE pgms. But
> after the last couple of updates I can't do any copy/paste involving
> any KDE pgm. Also copy paste from one KDE pgm to another doesn't work,
> and even trying to copy text from one place to another within the SAME
> kate document doesn't work! It is MUCH worse after updates.
>
> Is there a way to get this to work? It seems as though KDE stores
> copy/paste info into some place that no longer responds to any commands.
> Is that what is going on? All suggestions for fixing this, or even
> explaining it, would be much appreciated. [fixing would be better :-)) ]
>
> Rik

Re: copy/paste not working

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 22:00:12 -0700, Keith wrote:
>Check out the KDE clipper program. It usually runs in a tray and you
>can select the paste to use.

Hi,

I'm in favour of parcellite. I'm running 1.1.9 on Ubuntu 16.04,
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/parcellite and on Arch Linux I was
running 1.1.9 since 2015, and I'm still running 1.2.1 since 2017.

When starting a user session I autostart it with the no-icon option.
Ctrl+Alt+P is for it's menu and Ctrl+Alt+H for the history. Ctrl+C and
Ctrl+V etc. are working as expected, the user isn't forced to use the
history at all.

Very, very seldom in the rarest occasion it could be required to
"killall parcellite" and to launch "parcellite -n" e.g. via
"xfce4-appfinder -c", if the history shouldn't appear after pushing the
shortcut. Also very, very seldom in the rarest occasion it could happen
that after a copy, the copied item isn't automatically selected in the
history, than it's needed to either select it manually or to copy it
again. However, this doesn't happen often. In the past I used
klipper, the KDE clipboard a lot, too. You might want to compare the
dependency chain of parcellite and klipper,
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/plasma-workspace ;).

Regards,
Ralf

Re: copy/paste not working

ubuntu-users mailing list
I forgot to provide this link:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Clipboard

If you should be interested in a different clipboard mentioned by this
list, you could use https://packages.ubuntu.com/ to see if it's
available by official Ubuntu repositories.

Re: copy/paste not working

rikona
Keith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Check out the KDE clipper program. It usually runs in a tray and you
> can select the paste to use.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't see "clipper" in the software listing, nor do I see anything
on the KDE website. Do you mean "klipper"? That is listed in Ubuntu
S/W. If so, installing that apparently removes parts of KDE. Would that
impact the several older[not current] KDE pgms I run?

There is also a chrome-gnome-shell extension for a chrome browser. Is
this what you mean? It apparently also works, with big issues, in
Firefox. But, I use 5 different browsers and need something that works
with everything.

Not sure what you were suggesting...

Re: copy/paste not working

rikona
On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 11:11:35 +0200
Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm in favour of parcellite. I'm running 1.1.9 on Ubuntu 16.04,
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/parcellite and on Arch Linux I was
> running 1.1.9 since 2015, and I'm still running 1.2.1 since 2017.

OK, thanks. Looks like parcellite has been replaced by clipit, which
gets better reviews - both are in the Ub S/W listing. Also doesn't seem
to impact KDE as does klipper, but since it is Gnome oriented, will it
**actually work** with KDE pgms - THAT is the current problem. Seems
like KDE stores clipboard info differently. Does running a pgm like
that set up a DIFFERENT place to store clipboard info so it can be
used by any pgm?

> In the past I used klipper, the KDE clipboard a lot, too.

Did this always work between ANY Gnome/KDE/MATE/etc pgms you run?

> You might want to compare the dependency chain of parcellite and klipper,
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/plasma-workspace ;).

Lots listed there, didn't see mention of klipper though. I'm not
running Plasma, but installing KDE apps does bring in lots of KDE stuff.

Thanks for the info.

Rik

Re: copy/paste not working

On Sun, 2019-07-21 at 11:01 -0700, rikona wrote:
> Do you mean "klipper"? That is listed in Ubuntu S/W. If so, installing
> that apparently removes parts of KDE. Would that impact the several
> older[not current] KDE pgms I run?

Hi,

you probably have got an inconsistent install with third party packages,
since kubuntu-full https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/kubuntu-full as
well as kubuntu-desktop
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/kubuntu-desktop depend on
plasma-desktop https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/plasma-desktop, which
depends on plasma-workspace
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/plasma-workspace, the package
that contains klipper. I doubt that installing klipper from the official
repositories does require to remove KDE packages from official Ubuntu
repositories. However, the reason that copy and paste is broken for you,
might be related to this inconsistency.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: copy/paste not working

On Sun, 2019-07-21 at 11:26 -0700, rikona wrote:
> Did this always work between ANY Gnome/KDE/MATE/etc pgms you run?

Yes, parcellite works with Qt apps such as Qupzilla or Falkon and it
works with Gnome apps such as Gedit or Mate apps such as Pluma or
Engrampa, too. But as already pointed out by my previous mail, I suspect
that your install is broken, due to package inconsistencies.

Re: copy/paste not working

> I suspect that your install is broken, due to package inconsistencies.

Not necessarily caused by third party packages, maybe by hold packages.

Re: copy/paste not working

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 20:37:02 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
>On Sun, 2019-07-21 at 11:26 -0700, rikona wrote:
>> Did this always work between ANY Gnome/KDE/MATE/etc pgms you run?
>
>Yes, parcellite works with Qt apps such as Qupzilla or Falkon and it
>works with Gnome apps such as Gedit or Mate apps such as Pluma or
>Engrampa, too.

Did you ask regarding klipper? I used klipper a long, long time ago, it
worked with all apps,GNOME and KDE too, but Mate and Cinnamon unlikely
existed that time.

Re: copy/paste not working

Mike Marchywka
On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 08:46:52PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 20:37:02 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> >On Sun, 2019-07-21 at 11:26 -0700, rikona wrote:
> >> Did this always work between ANY Gnome/KDE/MATE/etc pgms you run?
> >
> >Yes, parcellite works with Qt apps such as Qupzilla or Falkon and it
> >works with Gnome apps such as Gedit or Mate apps such as Pluma or
> >Engrampa, too.
>
> Did you ask regarding klipper? I used klipper a long, long time ago, it
> worked with all apps,GNOME and KDE too, but Mate and Cinnamon unlikely
> existed that time.

I did not follow the thread- just saw the burst of messages and thought
it went off topic :) However, what is the source of the incompatibility?

You could try using xclip and find out if your stuff is on the right clipboard
if that is a problem. I've had odd problems sometimes but most of the time that
works. You can put stuff from the command line onto a clipboard and
see who can read it and also see what others put there.

I use xclip  for getting links from browser into scripts.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox

Re: copy/paste not working

rikona
On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 19:02:46 +0000
Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 08:46:52PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via
> ubuntu-users wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 20:37:02 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
> > wrote:
> > >
> > >Yes, parcellite works with Qt apps such as Qupzilla or Falkon and
> > >it works with Gnome apps such as Gedit or Mate apps such as Pluma
> > >or Engrampa, too.
> >
> > Did you ask regarding klipper? I used klipper a long, long time
> > ago, it worked with all apps,GNOME and KDE too, but Mate and
> > Cinnamon unlikely existed that time.
> >

> I did not follow the thread- just saw the burst of messages and
> thought it went off topic :) However, what is the source of the
> incompatibility?
>
> You could try using xclip and find out if your stuff is on the right
> clipboard if that is a problem. I've had odd problems sometimes but
> most of the time that works. You can put stuff from the command line
> onto a clipboard and see who can read it and also see what others put
> there.
>
> I use xclip  for getting links from browser into scripts.

I installed xclip, and it verified what I seem to see. Stuff copied in
falkon does not show up on the clipboard. But, it added to the mystery
a bit. I have three instances of kate running. Copying from #1 instance
of kate DOES show up, but copying from kate #2 or #3 DO NOT show up. If
something is broken, as Ralf suggests, it is broken in a weird way...

You mentioned the "right clipboard" - is there more than one? If so,
what/where is it, and how can I access it?

Re: copy/paste not working

rikona
On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 20:37:02 +0200
Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2019-07-21 at 11:26 -0700, rikona wrote:
> > Did this always work between ANY Gnome/KDE/MATE/etc pgms you run?
>
> Yes, parcellite works with Qt apps such as Qupzilla or Falkon and it
> works with Gnome apps such as Gedit or Mate apps such as Pluma or
> Engrampa, too. But as already pointed out by my previous mail, I
> suspect that your install is broken, due to package inconsistencies.

I installed clipit - the continuation of parcellite. I'd guess it keeps
its own file of copied material, with a history. Nice. But it can't
seem to copy from falkon, or the other non-copy pgms either. Perhaps
it is the actual copy operation in these pgms that is broken - ctl C,
right click/copy, or menu/copy - all don't work. May be that's the part
of KDE that is missing...

Most everything in these KDE pgms works as expected, but missing
copy/paste is a serious flaw. Is there a part of KDE that could be
installed to enable this?

Thanks - I appreciate your thoughts on this...

Re: copy/paste not working

Mike Marchywka
On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 03:44:30PM -0700, rikona wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 19:02:46 +0000
> Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 08:46:52PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via
> > ubuntu-users wrote:

> > > Did you ask regarding klipper? I used klipper a long, long time
> > > ago, it worked with all apps,GNOME and KDE too, but Mate and
> > > Cinnamon unlikely existed that time.
> > >

> > I did not follow the thread- just saw the burst of messages and
> > thought it went off topic :) However, what is the source of the
> > incompatibility?
> >
> > You could try using xclip and find out if your stuff is on the right
> > clipboard if that is a problem. I've had odd problems sometimes but
> > most of the time that works. You can put stuff from the command line
> > onto a clipboard and see who can read it and also see what others put
> > there.
> >
> > I use xclip  for getting links from browser into scripts.
>
> I installed xclip, and it verified what I seem to see. Stuff copied in
> falkon does not show up on the clipboard. But, it added to the mystery
> a bit. I have three instances of kate running. Copying from #1 instance
> of kate DOES show up, but copying from kate #2 or #3 DO NOT show up. If
> something is broken, as Ralf suggests, it is broken in a weird way...
>
> You mentioned the "right clipboard" - is there more than one? If so,
> what/where is it, and how can I access it?

I never entirely figured out what they are but if you try "man xclip"
I guess I was thinking of selection,
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Clipboard#Selections

The majority of programs for Xorg, including Qt and GTK applications, follow this behavior. While ICCCM also defines a SECONDARY selection, it does not have a consensually agreed upon purpose. Despite the naming, all three selections are basically "clipboards". Rather than the old "cut buffers" system where arbitrary applications could modify data stored in the cut buffers, only one application may control or "own" a selection at one time. This prevents inconsistencies in the operation of the selections.

       -selection
              specify which X selection to use, options are "primary"  to  use
              XA_PRIMARY  (default),  "secondary"  for  XA_SECONDARY or "clip‐
              board" for XA_CLIPBOARD

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth
[hidden email]
404-788-1216
ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X

Re: copy/paste not working

rikona
On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 23:06:15 +0000
Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 03:44:30PM -0700, rikona wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 19:02:46 +0000
> > Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > I did not follow the thread- just saw the burst of messages and
> > > thought it went off topic :) However, what is the source of the
> > > incompatibility?
> > >
> > > You could try using xclip and find out if your stuff is on the
> > > right clipboard if that is a problem. I've had odd problems
> > > sometimes but most of the time that works. You can put stuff from
> > > the command line onto a clipboard and see who can read it and
> > > also see what others put there.
> > >
> > > I use xclip  for getting links from browser into scripts.
> >
> > I installed xclip, and it verified what I seem to see. Stuff copied
> > in falkon does not show up on the clipboard. But, it added to the
> > mystery a bit. I have three instances of kate running. Copying from
> > #1 instance of kate DOES show up, but copying from kate #2 or #3 DO
> > NOT show up. If something is broken, as Ralf suggests, it is broken
> > in a weird way...
> >
> > You mentioned the "right clipboard" - is there more than one? If so,
> > what/where is it, and how can I access it?
>
> I never entirely figured out what they are but if you try "man xclip"
> I guess I was thinking of selection,

I saw that but could not figure it out either.

> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Clipboard#Selections

This gives some insight into the confusion but no clue which pgms use
what, and how/where they do it. Still can't tell if the KDE copy
actually does something...

Thanks for the clarification.

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 05:31:20PM -0700, rikona wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 23:06:15 +0000
> Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 03:44:30PM -0700, rikona wrote:

> > > I installed xclip, and it verified what I seem to see. Stuff copied
> > > in falkon does not show up on the clipboard. But, it added to the
> > > mystery a bit. I have three instances of kate running. Copying from
> > > #1 instance of kate DOES show up, but copying from kate #2 or #3 DO
> > > NOT show up. If something is broken, as Ralf suggests, it is broken
> > > in a weird way...
> > >
> > > You mentioned the "right clipboard" - is there more than one? If so,
> > > what/where is it, and how can I access it?
> >
> > I never entirely figured out what they are but if you try "man xclip"
> > I guess I was thinking of selection,
>
> I saw that but could not figure it out either.
>
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Clipboard#Selections
>
> This gives some insight into the confusion but no clue which pgms use
> what, and how/where they do it. Still can't tell if the KDE copy
> actually does something...

I guess the idea is to copy something and then see if xclip can
find it in any of the "selections." I seem to recall having
copy to wrong one  a few times although I can't remember a specific
example. Right now I get this,

 xclip -o -selection p | strings
The majority of programs for Xorg, including Qt and GTK applications, follow this behavior. While ICCCM also defines a SECONDARY selection, it does not have a consensually agreed upon purpose. Despite the naming, all three selections are basically "clipboards". Rather than the old "cut buffers" system where arbitrary applications could modify data stored in the cut buffers, only one application may control or "own" a selection at one time. This prevents inconsistencies in the operation of the selections.

marchywka@happy:/home/ubuntu/dev/tl/auctex/auctex-11.88$ xclip -o -selection s | strings
Error: target STRING not available

marchywka@happy:/home/ubuntu/dev/tl/auctex/auctex-11.88$ xclip -o -selection clip | strings

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 00:46:53 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> xclip -o -selection p | strings
> xclip -o -selection s | strings
> xclip -o -selection clip | strings

Or if xsel should be installed:

  xsel -p -o | strings
  xsel -s -o | strings
  xsel -b -o | strings

You not necessarily need to add '| strings', but I would do so, just
'xsel -p -o' etc. works, too.

IOW

1. Select text from one of your Qt apps.
   Copy by the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+C (for terminals it's another
   shortcut) or by a menu, e.g. a right click menu.

   Don't close the app! Some apps workaround the oddity that copying
   the selected text is done when pasting, but other apps don't, see
   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClipboardPersistence#Why_does_this_happen.3F

2. Either run xclip or xsel.

I seriously doubt that the secondary selection is used, it's more
likely that something is broken. However, even if for what reason
ever the secondary selection should be used, I doubt that somebody
knows how to fix this. I might be mistaken, perhaps it's a KDE
"feature".

If installing klipper from the official package
(https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/plasma-workspace) requires
to remove KDE apps, than the culprit might be related to the KDE
packages inconsistency.

While I'm still in favour of using parcellite, if I were you, I would
install klipper. I wouldn't use klipper, but getting rid of the
packages the plasma-workspace package dislikes and their config files
outside of HOME, might fix the issue.

I would write down or more likely use a GTK terminal (the best terminal
anyway is https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/roxterm) and parcellite to
remember the packages and then run

  sudo apt purge package_1 package_2 package_n

'purge' just in case a replacement package should use an identical
global configuration.

Re: copy/paste not working

Mike Marchywka
On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 12:40:31PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 00:46:53 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> > xclip -o -selection p | strings
> > xclip -o -selection s | strings
> > xclip -o -selection clip | strings
>
> Or if xsel should be installed:
>
>   xsel -p -o | strings
>   xsel -s -o | strings
>   xsel -b -o | strings
>
> You not necessarily need to add '| strings', but I would do so, just
> 'xsel -p -o' etc. works, too.

I've been playing with a lot of things and may be confused
but seem to recall now
an issue with special or non-ASCII chars that prevented
pasting. I think it might have been my c++ code generating
clipboard contents but in any case "od" may be informative.

If you can get the code to copy into clipboard and then not paste,
pipe it into od and look for special cahrs,

od -ax

or maybe

od -A x -t x1z -v

And if you omit strings and terminal gets messed up I did
discover that "reset" does work :)

> IOW
>
> 1. Select text from one of your Qt apps.
>    Copy by the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+C (for terminals it's another
>    shortcut) or by a menu, e.g. a right click menu.
>
>    Don't close the app! Some apps workaround the oddity that copying
>    the selected text is done when pasting, but other apps don't, see
>    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClipboardPersistence#Why_does_this_happen.3F
>
> 2. Either run xclip or xsel.
>
> I seriously doubt that the secondary selection is used, it's more
> likely that something is broken. However, even if for what reason
> ever the secondary selection should be used, I doubt that somebody
> knows how to fix this. I might be mistaken, perhaps it's a KDE
> "feature".
>
> If installing klipper from the official package
> (https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/plasma-workspace) requires
> to remove KDE apps, than the culprit might be related to the KDE
> packages inconsistency.
>
> While I'm still in favour of using parcellite, if I were you, I would
> install klipper. I wouldn't use klipper, but getting rid of the
> packages the plasma-workspace package dislikes and their config files
> outside of HOME, might fix the issue.
>
> I would write down or more likely use a GTK terminal (the best terminal
> anyway is https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/roxterm) and parcellite to
> remember the packages and then run
>
>   sudo apt purge package_1 package_2 package_n
>
> 'purge' just in case a replacement package should use an identical
> global configuration.

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth
[hidden email]
404-788-1216
ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X

Re: copy/paste not working

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:55:13 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
>I've been playing with a lot of things and may be confused but seem to
>recall now an issue with special or non-ASCII chars that prevented
>pasting.

That's quite a stretch.

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 21:52:49 -0700, rikona wrote:
>Running Ubuntu 16.04. Also use other pgms from KDE - kate, falkon

Let's assume that rikona tries to copy an URL, so no special chars are
involved.

Btw. official Ubuntu repositories do not provide falkon. I'm an Ubuntu
16.04 user, too and I'm a qupzilla/falkon user, too.

On Ubuntu 16.04 I'm using qupzilla
(https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/qupzilla) and on Arch Linux I'm
using falkon.

Since Ubuntu doesn't provide falkon by official 16.04 repositories, the
repos still stick with it's predecessor qupzilla and since installing
plasma-workspace
(https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/plasma-workspace) from
official repositories doesn't work without removing several KDE related
packages on rikona's install, the install most likely is broken, due to
KDE related package inconsistencies.

Re: copy/paste not working

ubuntu-users mailing list
PS:

1. I finished my Arch Linux session and booted Ubuntu 16.04.
2. Ctrl+Alt+H shows that the history of parcellite is empty.
3. From qupzilla's address bar I copied the following URL into this
claws-mail message: https://www.startpage.com/
4. qupzilla and parcellite are from official Ubuntu repos and I could
install plasma-workspace without issues:

[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version: core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ apt -qq list parcellite qupzilla
parcellite/xenial,now 1.1.9-1 amd64 [installed]
qupzilla/xenial,now 1.8.9~dfsg1-3 amd64 [installed]
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo apt install plasma-workspace
[snip]
0 upgraded, 191 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 51.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 259 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$

My environment:

[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ wmctrl -m
Name: Openbox
Class:
PID: N/A
Window manager's "showing the desktop" mode: OFF

Marginalia:

qupzilla is that old, that it fails to work when using startpage,
google still works. However, copy and paste is no issue at all.

Note! I build some packages myself, e.g. claws, so I can share all
settings and POP account mails with my Arch Linux install or e.g.
lxpanel, when the weather plugin service was discontinued, the official
Ubuntu repositories never received an upgrade providing the
plugin, using another weather service. IOW I fixed the borked lxpanel.

$ dpkg -l claws-mail-git lxpanel | grep ii
ii  claws-mail-git 3.17.3-1     amd64        A GTK+ based e-mail client - git checkout
ii  lxpanel        0.10.0-1     amd64        LXDE panel

Those are applications with minimal dependencies and I know what I'm
doing. I don't break my install, I enhance or sometimes even fix the
install, if Ubuntu maintainers do not fix issues.

However, doing this with something bloated, such as KDE is more or less
impossible.