copy/paste not working

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: copy/paste not working

rikona
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:55:13 +0000
Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 12:40:31PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via
> ubuntu-users wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 00:46:53 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:  

These have been helpful-

> > > xclip -o -selection p | strings

When I copy from falkon, whatever was in there before is cleared, but
the copied text is NOT there. So it seems KDE/falkon is doing
something, but not putting the copy there.

> > > xclip -o -selection s | strings
> > > xclip -o -selection clip | strings  

When I copy from falkon, these do not seem to change. The copied text
is not in any of these.

> >
> > Or if xsel should be installed:
> >
> >   xsel -p -o | strings
> >   xsel -s -o | strings
> >   xsel -b -o | strings
> >
> > You not necessarily need to add '| strings', but I would do so, just
> > 'xsel -p -o' etc. works, too.  
>
> I've been playing with a lot of things and may be confused
> but seem to recall now
> an issue with special or non-ASCII chars that prevented
> pasting.

I've noticed that when I copy text from a web page into kate, if I don't
highlight the text *EXACTLY* at the beginning and end of the text, it
seems to also copy chrs that prevent kate from printing all or part of
what was copied. I can see the full text on the screen in kate, so it
seems to paste OK, and it looks OK, but it won't print correctly.
This is also something that would be nice to fix.

Re the fixes - it looks like trying to use older KDE pgms, some of which
are no longer part of current KDE distros, may be at "end of life" :-)
and I will have to use less desirable [to me] current pgms instead.
Sometimes progress seems to go backward...

Thanks again.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: copy/paste not working

rikona
In reply to this post by ubuntu-users mailing list
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 14:25:06 +0200
Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

(snip)

> qupzilla is that old, that it fails to work when using startpage,
> google still works. However, copy and paste is no issue at all.

I use startpage all the time - that's why I installed falkon, the
replacement. Works well browsing, but not having copy/paste on a browser
makes it essentially useless for me. I think I agree with your "broken"
assessment.

I ran KDE back in ancient Mandrake days - maybe I should reconsider
that again...

> Note! I build some packages myself, e.g. claws, so I can share all
> settings and POP account mails with my Arch Linux install or e.g.
> lxpanel, when the weather plugin service was discontinued, the
> official Ubuntu repositories never received an upgrade providing the
> plugin, using another weather service. IOW I fixed the borked lxpanel.
>
> $ dpkg -l claws-mail-git lxpanel | grep ii
> ii  claws-mail-git 3.17.3-1     amd64        A GTK+ based e-mail
> client - git checkout ii  lxpanel        0.10.0-1     amd64
> LXDE panel
>
> Those are applications with minimal dependencies and I know what I'm
> doing. I don't break my install, I enhance or sometimes even fix the
> install, if Ubuntu maintainers do not fix issues.

I'd like to thank you for your many insights into problems. It has been
very helpful and informative for many issues besides the current
problem.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: copy/paste not working

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by rikona
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 11:15:39 -0700, rikona wrote:
>Re the fixes - it looks like trying to use older KDE pgms, some of
>which are no longer part of current KDE distros, may be at "end of
>life" :-) and I will have to use less desirable [to me] current pgms
>instead. Sometimes progress seems to go backward...

Yesno, that's a little bit, too generalized.

You could use qt3, qt4 and qt5 by one install, loosely speaking you
"just" need to ensure that all qt3 apps are compiled against the same
version of qt3, all qt4 apps are compiled against the same version of
qt4 and all qt5 apps are compiled against the same version of qt5.

I suspect you have got a wild mixture of qt apps from different sources.
As already pointed out. For 16.04 falkon is not an old app, it's newer
than qupzilla from official Ubuntu repositories.

From where did you get the Qt apps that are not provided by official
Ubuntu 16.04 repos?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: copy/paste not working

Mike Marchywka
In reply to this post by rikona
On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 11:15:39AM -0700, rikona wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:55:13 +0000
> Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 12:40:31PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via
> > ubuntu-users wrote:
> > > On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 00:46:53 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:  
>
> These have been helpful-
>
> > > > xclip -o -selection p | strings
>
> When I copy from falkon, whatever was in there before is cleared, but
> the copied text is NOT there. So it seems KDE/falkon is doing
> something, but not putting the copy there.
>
> > > > xclip -o -selection s | strings
> > > > xclip -o -selection clip | strings  
>
> When I copy from falkon, these do not seem to change. The copied text
> is not in any of these.
Did you try to pipe it into "od" rather than "strings"? That could be a
special char in there somewhere hiding text.

>
> > >
> > > Or if xsel should be installed:
> > >
> > >   xsel -p -o | strings
> > >   xsel -s -o | strings
> > >   xsel -b -o | strings
> > >
> > > You not necessarily need to add '| strings', but I would do so, just
> > > 'xsel -p -o' etc. works, too.  
> >
> > I've been playing with a lot of things and may be confused
> > but seem to recall now
> > an issue with special or non-ASCII chars that prevented
> > pasting.
>
> I've noticed that when I copy text from a web page into kate, if I don't
> highlight the text *EXACTLY* at the beginning and end of the text, it
> seems to also copy chrs that prevent kate from printing all or part of
> what was copied. I can see the full text on the screen in kate, so it
> seems to paste OK, and it looks OK, but it won't print correctly.
> This is also something that would be nice to fix.
>
Well again pipe it into 'od" with the options I suggested or
whatever you like and see what is really there. This sounds promising.

 
> Re the fixes - it looks like trying to use older KDE pgms, some of which
> are no longer part of current KDE distros, may be at "end of life" :-)
> and I will have to use less desirable [to me] current pgms instead.
> Sometimes progress seems to go backward...
>
It is always hard to tell- when I got 'Beaver to run on old emachines
it was probably better than old Debian ( 10 years old probably lol)
in some ways ( and of course it supported more recent browsers etc).
Although the machine was still too slow to browse a lot of modern
web pages- and by modern I mean littered with video ads.
 
> Thanks again.
>
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth
[hidden email]
404-788-1216
ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: copy/paste not working

Mike Marchywka


Top posting for motivation :) If you try the suggesstions
below, and if in fact the copy adds control
chars you can probably fix it with a script- it is a little
extra effort but you can at least determine everything works
with it. I do this from time to time- the script reads from
clipboard, does something with contents, and writes it back out.
If you run od as suggested below you can either file a report
with relevant dev's or just modify contents with a script.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 08:07:08PM +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 11:15:39AM -0700, rikona wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:55:13 +0000
> > Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 12:40:31PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via
> > > ubuntu-users wrote:
> > > > On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 00:46:53 +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:  
> >
> > These have been helpful-
> >
> > > > > xclip -o -selection p | strings
> >
> > When I copy from falkon, whatever was in there before is cleared, but
> > the copied text is NOT there. So it seems KDE/falkon is doing
> > something, but not putting the copy there.
> >
> > > > > xclip -o -selection s | strings
> > > > > xclip -o -selection clip | strings  
> >
> > When I copy from falkon, these do not seem to change. The copied text
> > is not in any of these.
> Did you try to pipe it into "od" rather than "strings"? That could be a
> special char in there somewhere hiding text.
> >
> > > >
> > > > Or if xsel should be installed:
> > > >
> > > >   xsel -p -o | strings
> > > >   xsel -s -o | strings
> > > >   xsel -b -o | strings
> > > >
> > > > You not necessarily need to add '| strings', but I would do so, just
> > > > 'xsel -p -o' etc. works, too.  
> > >
> > > I've been playing with a lot of things and may be confused
> > > but seem to recall now
> > > an issue with special or non-ASCII chars that prevented
> > > pasting.
> >
> > I've noticed that when I copy text from a web page into kate, if I don't
> > highlight the text *EXACTLY* at the beginning and end of the text, it
> > seems to also copy chrs that prevent kate from printing all or part of
> > what was copied. I can see the full text on the screen in kate, so it
> > seems to paste OK, and it looks OK, but it won't print correctly.
> > This is also something that would be nice to fix.
> >
> Well again pipe it into 'od" with the options I suggested or
> whatever you like and see what is really there. This sounds promising.
>
>  
> > Re the fixes - it looks like trying to use older KDE pgms, some of which
> > are no longer part of current KDE distros, may be at "end of life" :-)
> > and I will have to use less desirable [to me] current pgms instead.
> > Sometimes progress seems to go backward...
> >
> It is always hard to tell- when I got 'Beaver to run on old emachines
> it was probably better than old Debian ( 10 years old probably lol)
> in some ways ( and of course it supported more recent browsers etc).
> Although the machine was still too slow to browse a lot of modern
> web pages- and by modern I mean littered with video ads.
>  
> > Thanks again.
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-users mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
> --
>
> mike marchywka
> 306 charles cox
> canton GA 30115
> USA, Earth
> [hidden email]
> 404-788-1216
> ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth
[hidden email]
404-788-1216
ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: copy/paste not working

rikona
In reply to this post by ubuntu-users mailing list
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 20:48:34 +0200
Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 11:15:39 -0700, rikona wrote:
> >Re the fixes - it looks like trying to use older KDE pgms, some of
> >which are no longer part of current KDE distros, may be at "end of
> >life" :-) and I will have to use less desirable [to me] current pgms
> >instead. Sometimes progress seems to go backward...  
>
> Yesno, that's a little bit, too generalized.
>
> You could use qt3, qt4 and qt5 by one install, loosely speaking you
> "just" need to ensure that all qt3 apps are compiled against the same
> version of qt3, all qt4 apps are compiled against the same version of
> qt4 and all qt5 apps are compiled against the same version of qt5.
>
> I suspect you have got a wild mixture of qt apps from different
> sources. As already pointed out. For 16.04 falkon is not an old app,
> it's newer than qupzilla from official Ubuntu repositories.
>
> From where did you get the Qt apps that are not provided by official
> Ubuntu 16.04 repos?

I don't remember - that was in 2016. :-) If it was in the "software"
GUI repos, I used that to install. I presume if it is there it should
work - is that true? A few, like brave browser, need a separate install,
but those were quite a while ago too. BUT - this ran quite well for a
long time [a few glitches, but ok]. It was the *recent updates* that
broke the pgms quite badly. Would these updates cause the dependency
problems you mentioned? When I do an update are ALL my installed KDE
pgms also updated in a consistent way? If not, maybe that's how this
happened.

I've decided to abandon the broken pgms - falkon is gone and I'm trying
other browsers to replace it [I usually run 4 different browsers at a
time].

I note that kate IS currently listed in the SW GUI. Does that mean that
it is likely to work in my current 16.04? I also note that even though
it *IS* installed it is NOT listed there as being installed. Could the
old installed version be different enough that it is not even being
recognized as already installed? If so would a remove & reinstall of
kate perhaps fix it? If so, how can I remove the installed kate - an
"uninstall" option is not shown? Would I actually need to remove
**ALL** KDE stuff before reinstalling a few KDE pgms?




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: copy/paste not working

rikona
On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 15:02:27 -0700
rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:

(snip)

> > From where did you get the Qt apps that are not provided by official
> > Ubuntu 16.04 repos?  
>
> I don't remember - that was in 2016. :-) If it was in the "software"
> GUI repos, I used that to install. I presume if it is there it should
> work - is that true? A few, like brave browser, need a separate
> install, but those were quite a while ago too. BUT - this ran quite
> well for a long time [a few glitches, but ok]. It was the *recent
> updates* that broke the pgms quite badly. Would these updates cause
> the dependency problems you mentioned? When I do an update are ALL my
> installed KDE pgms also updated in a consistent way? If not, maybe
> that's how this happened.
>
> I've decided to abandon the broken pgms - falkon is gone and I'm
> trying other browsers to replace it [I usually run 4 different
> browsers at a time].
>
> I note that kate IS currently listed in the SW GUI. Does that mean
> that it is likely to work in my current 16.04? I also note that even
> though it *IS* installed it is NOT listed there as being installed.
> Could the old installed version be different enough that it is not
> even being recognized as already installed? If so would a remove &
> reinstall of kate perhaps fix it? If so, how can I remove the
> installed kate - an "uninstall" option is not shown? Would I actually
> need to remove **ALL** KDE stuff before reinstalling a few KDE pgms?

While I was removing/replacing things the GUI update window popped up
with a number of updates to do. I thought it might be good to update
and be consistent before more changes, so I did.

Then, as I was looking at editors in the GUI SW tool for replacing
kate, I noticed that kate was now listed as installed, unlike before
the new update. So, I thought I'd look at it one more time before
replacing it. While there I did a quick copy check, and it worked -
katr could again copy inside one document. Tried other copies and they
worked as well. I even brought galkon back, and that can now copy too.
Haven't redone everything, but I may be back to where I was before the
previous updates that broke many things. I have no clue why this is,
but I hope the problem has been fixed. So many things had problems I
was about to give up on trying to mix pgms from other desktops, but
maybe that's not as bad as it seemed.

Maybe we'll never know why it happened, but I'd again like to thank all
of you for your help to try to fix this.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
12