copy/paste problem

rikona
Recent problem which seems to be getting worse. Running Ubuntu 16.04
updated. I have 2 'files' windows open, highlight some files in #1,
release all mouse buttons, click on the highlighted files, hold down
shift key, drag to #2 window - and nothing happens. Repeat, repeat some
more and finally works on perhaps try #6-10 - finally moved the files.
Getting to be a pain. What might be going on and how can I restore the
original move/copy behavior? I have 15-20 'files' windows running and
usually select 2-4 of them on the screen to work with. I also have many
other pgms running as well. Is this perhaps an overload problem? If so,
how can I check that to keep below 'overload' and/or identify the pgms
most responsible?

Rik

Re: copy/paste problem

Liam Proven
On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 05:57, rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have 15-20 'files' windows running

/What?!/

What on earth are you doing with them all?

If you need more than about 3 at any time, I'd say you're using it wrong.

In which case, I would compare this to the people who use hundreds of
browser tabs as a bookmarks system and then complain when a browser
update loses them all. My advice then is always "you are using the
tool incorrectly. Stop doing it and learn to use it properly." E.g.,
for a browser, don't leave a tab open if you are not using it right
now or regularly -- bookmark it, structure your bookmarks for easy
access/reference, and learn to make effective use of bookmarks
toolbars/sidebars/etc. If you use >1 computer for the same job, choose
a bookmarks sync tool and learn to use it effectively. If you use a
dozen or more tabs all day every day, I advise using a browser whose
process model is tuned towards efficiency rather than performance.
This is a fancy way of saying "don't use Chrome, use Firefox", which
is a fancy way of saying "don't use a Chrome-family browser (e.g.
Chromium, Opera, Vivaldi, Safari), use a Mozilla-family browser (e.g.
Waterfox, SeaMonkey, PaleMoon, etc.)"

If you need that many open folders then you probably need a more
efficient/power-user file manager than Nautilus AKA Files.

I use Cinnamon's Nemo file manager on Ubuntu, myself. I also use tabs
in it if I find I need >2 windows.

You may find a pane-oriented or dual-pane type file manager is more
suitable for you; there are many and I don't have any particular
recommendations. This is very dated but for example read this:

https://168hours.wordpress.com/2008/08/18/10-total-commander-alternatives-for-linux/

Re: copy/paste problem

Little Girl
Hey there,

rikona wrote:

>Recent problem which seems to be getting worse. Running Ubuntu 16.04
>updated. I have 2 'files' windows open, highlight some files in #1,
>release all mouse buttons, click on the highlighted files, hold down
>shift key, drag to #2 window - and nothing happens. Repeat, repeat
>some more and finally works on perhaps try #6-10 - finally moved the
>files. Getting to be a pain. What might be going on and how can I
>restore the original move/copy behavior?

Have you tried this with another mouse and gotten the same result? I
tend to keep a supply of new mice handy because the model I prefer
tends to misbehave in two different ways when it's no good any more.
It either clicks more than I told it to or refuses to click when I
tell it to. The misbehavior is random and sporadic at first and
becomes more and more frequent as time goes by. It sounds like you
may be seeing some of that kind of misbehavior with your mouse.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: copy/paste problem

Peter Flynn
Best advice I've seen for years.

I would add 'try Dolphin' but since it lost all its icons, and its
ability to show JPG previews, it is now unusable, which is a pity
because in its day it was the best.

Peter, top-posting for once to leave Liam's text intact.

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 16:53, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Best advice I've seen for years.

Why thank you! :beams:

Re: copy/paste problem

Thomas Tanghus
On Wednesday, 13 November 2019 16.49.51 CET Peter Flynn wrote:
> I would add 'try Dolphin' but since it lost all its icons, and its
> ability to show JPG previews, it is now unusable, which is a pity
> because in its day it was the best.

You mean the KDE/Plasma application? It works flawlessly here; better than
ever. On Kubuntu 19.10.

--
/Thomas

Re: copy/paste problem

Peter Flynn
Hmm. Odd. I installed it under Mint 19 (and under previous Mints and
Xubuntus) it fails as described. The icons haven't worked since they
stopped working about 5 years ago when some developer moved a folder of
icons; and if you open ~/Pictures, none of the .jpg files show thumbnails.
The documentation doesn't cover these bugs, and as usual, when I reported
it, I was told these weren't bugs. I don't have time to deal with broken
software so I just dropped it from all our systems and used something else.

On 13 November 2019 16:42:12 Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 13 November 2019 16.49.51 CET Peter Flynn wrote:
>> I would add 'try Dolphin' but since it lost all its icons, and its
>> ability to show JPG previews, it is now unusable, which is a pity
>> because in its day it was the best.
>
> You mean the KDE/Plasma application? It works flawlessly here; better than
> ever. On Kubuntu 19.10.
>
> --
> /Thomas

Re: copy/paste problem

Thomas Tanghus
On Wednesday, 13 November 2019 20.30.53 CET Peter Flynn wrote:
> Hmm. Odd. I installed it under Mint 19 (and under previous Mints and
> Xubuntus) it fails as described. The icons haven't worked since they
> stopped working about 5 years ago when some developer moved a folder of
> icons; and if you open ~/Pictures, none of the .jpg files show thumbnails.
> The documentation doesn't cover these bugs, and as usual, when I reported
> it, I was told these weren't bugs. I don't have time to deal with broken
> software so I just dropped it from all our systems and used something else.

That is weird. You could try the kubuntu PPA, but that might break other stuff.

--
/Thomas

Re: copy/paste problem

rikona
On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 12:25:41 +0100
Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >I have 15-20 'files' windows running
>
> /What?!/
>
> What on earth are you doing with them all?

I'm usually doing a number of things more or less in parallel, and each
usually involves saving something for later reference. Some topics,
such as medical/biochemical research get very complex very quickly.
Some Medical Journal article may mention yet another interaction that
needs investigation. To keep everything organized, I like to have each
one in a separate folder in my directory tree. I may have 10 windows
open as I'm tracking just these biochemical interactions. Currently I
may also be checking out detailed legal topics, possible snowmobile
trails for the forthcoming winter, neurological effects of anesthesia,
several restaurant menus to present to a group of friends getting
together this weekend, some notes on potential computer and electronic
upgrades, some high-intensity exercise activities that I can do within
my current limitations, and several other topics. Overall, it is easier
to just leave these open than try to redo rummaging through a very
complex directory tree each time.

> In which case, I would compare this to the people who use hundreds of
> browser tabs as a bookmarks system and then complain when a browser
> update loses them all.

I have and use hundreds of bookmarks. I don't use tabs as bookmarks.
However, I usually end up with many open tabs, used regularly, that
correspond to the topics I mentioned above.

> This is a fancy way of saying "don't use Chrome, use Firefox", which
> is a fancy way of saying "don't use a Chrome-family browser (e.g.
> Chromium, Opera, Vivaldi, Safari), use a Mozilla-family browser (e.g.
> Waterfox, SeaMonkey, PaleMoon, etc.)"

I'm currently running Firefox, PaleMoon, Brave, Vivaldi, and I use them
in that order. I'm also experimenting with Falcon, but copy/paste does
not work at all, in any way, so that makes it very non-useful.

> I use Cinnamon's Nemo file manager on Ubuntu, myself. I also use tabs
> in it if I find I need >2 windows.

I tried Nemo some time ago, had problems, and dropped it. Might be good
to try it again. I also use Konqueror and like it. I do use tabs in
both Konqueror and Nautilus for closely related topics - does help to
reduce the number of open windows. Side question - are multiple tabs in
one file manager more efficient than using multiple file managers?

> You may find a pane-oriented or dual-pane type file manager is more
> suitable for you; there are many and I don't have any particular
> recommendations. This is very dated but for example read this:
>
> https://168hours.wordpress.com/2008/08/18/10-total-commander-alternatives-for-linux/

I've used these in the past but not currently. I actually still have
Midnight Commander installed on the current system, but don't use it.

When I tried to check out the CPU usage with HTOP, I got a strange
sounding result. When sorted by CPU, the top line listed CPU usage at
500-550%. Not sure how to interpret that, but it doesn't sound like an
ordinary percentage. Below that are about 15 entries, each with 30-50%.
All of these are for WebKitwebprocess. The top entry shows about 15,000
hours and sounds like it corresponds to uptime. This enormous total CPU
percent usage sounds a bit strange. What does it really mean?

Anyway, thank you very much for your (always useful) suggestions and
info.

Re: copy/paste problem

rikona
On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 09:25:39 -0500
Little Girl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> rikona wrote:
>
> >Recent problem which seems to be getting worse. Running Ubuntu 16.04
> >updated. I have 2 'files' windows open, highlight some files in #1,
> >release all mouse buttons, click on the highlighted files, hold down
> >shift key, drag to #2 window - and nothing happens. Repeat, repeat
> >some more and finally works on perhaps try #6-10 - finally moved the
> >files. Getting to be a pain. What might be going on and how can I
> >restore the original move/copy behavior?
>
> Have you tried this with another mouse and gotten the same result? I
> tend to keep a supply of new mice handy because the model I prefer
> tends to misbehave in two different ways when it's no good any more.
> It either clicks more than I told it to or refuses to click when I
> tell it to. The misbehavior is random and sporadic at first and
> becomes more and more frequent as time goes by. It sounds like you
> may be seeing some of that kind of misbehavior with your mouse.

Excellent suggestion - thanks! The current mouse has seen a LOT of
use. I don't have a handy spare but will try it, and maybe keep some
spares. That sounds like a good idea.

Re: copy/paste problem

Bret Busby-2
On 13/11/2019, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm. Odd. I installed it under Mint 19 (and under previous Mints and
> Xubuntus) it fails as described. The icons haven't worked since they
> stopped working about 5 years ago when some developer moved a folder of
> icons; and if you open ~/Pictures, none of the .jpg files show thumbnails.
> The documentation doesn't cover these bugs, and as usual, when I reported
> it, I was told these weren't bugs. I don't have time to deal with broken
> software so I just dropped it from all our systems and used something else.

> On 13 November 2019 16:42:12 Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, 13 November 2019 16.49.51 CET Peter Flynn wrote:
>>> I would add 'try Dolphin' but since it lost all its icons, and its
>>> ability to show JPG previews, it is now unusable, which is a pity
>>> because in its day it was the best.
>>
>> You mean the KDE/Plasma application? It works flawlessly here; better than
>> ever. On Kubuntu 19.10.
>>
>> --
>> /Thomas

I use caja in UbuntuMATE 16.04.x and 19.10, and it mostly works well,
and shows thumbnails for image files and for video files. I also have
pcmanfm installed, as a reserve, for when caja does not function, or,
does not function as I want.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: copy/paste problem

Peter Flynn
On 13/11/2019 14:25, Little Girl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> rikona wrote:
>
>> Recent problem which seems to be getting worse. Running Ubuntu
>> 16.04 updated. I have 2 'files' windows open, highlight some files
>> in #1, release all mouse buttons, click on the highlighted files,
>> hold down shift key, drag to #2 window - and nothing happens.
>> Repeat, repeat some more and finally works on perhaps try #6-10 -
>> finally moved the files. Getting to be a pain.

I haven't seen this on a system where I use a mouse, but I have seen
something very similar on several laptops running assorted flavours and
derivatives of Ubuntu, all operated via touchpad, not mouse. The action
is similar: highlight some text, move to another window, and middle-tap
(or two-finger tap) to paste a copy. I believe this is standard X
behaviour, where highlighting performs a copy without the need to
explicitly click Copy. The behaviour is unpredictable: sometimes it
pastes, sometimes it doesn't. Repeated clicks after a failure sometimes
work; and sometimes suddenly produce multiple copies (the repeated
clicks all suddenly having an effect). This is across multiple machines,
so I am excluding hardware failure.

>> What might be going on and how can I restore the original move/copy
>> behavior?
>
> Have you tried this with another mouse and gotten the same result?

I shall plug a mouse into the laptops and try, thanks.

> I tend to keep a supply of new mice handy because the model I prefer
> tends to misbehave in two different ways when it's no good any more.

Very interesting. How long does a mouse last you?

> It either clicks more than I told it to or refuses to click when I
> tell it to. The misbehavior is random and sporadic at first and
> becomes more and more frequent as time goes by. It sounds like you
> may be seeing some of that kind of misbehavior with your mouse.

This certainly describes my touchpads' behaviour, but it's constant: it
neither improves nor deteriorates with time.

Re: copy/paste problem

Little Girl
Hey there,

rikona wrote:
>Little Girl wrote:

>> Have you tried this with another mouse and gotten the same result?
>> I tend to keep a supply of new mice handy because the model I
>> prefer tends to misbehave in two different ways when it's no good
>> any more.

>Excellent suggestion - thanks! The current mouse has seen a LOT of
>use. I don't have a handy spare but will try it, and maybe keep some
>spares. That sounds like a good idea.

I hope it solves the issue for you. It has always solved mine so far
(knock on wood).

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: copy/paste problem

Little Girl
Hey there,

Peter Flynn wrote:
>Little Girl wrote:
>> rikona wrote:

>>> Recent problem which seems to be getting worse. Running Ubuntu
>>> 16.04 updated. I have 2 'files' windows open, highlight some files
>>> in #1, release all mouse buttons, click on the highlighted files,
>>> hold down shift key, drag to #2 window - and nothing happens.
>>> Repeat, repeat some more and finally works on perhaps try #6-10 -
>>> finally moved the files. Getting to be a pain.
>
>I haven't seen this on a system where I use a mouse, but I have seen
>something very similar on several laptops running assorted flavours
>and derivatives of Ubuntu, all operated via touchpad, not mouse. The
>action is similar: highlight some text, move to another window, and
>middle-tap (or two-finger tap) to paste a copy. I believe this is
>standard X behaviour, where highlighting performs a copy without the
>need to explicitly click Copy. The behaviour is unpredictable:
>sometimes it pastes, sometimes it doesn't. Repeated clicks after a
>failure sometimes work; and sometimes suddenly produce multiple
>copies (the repeated clicks all suddenly having an effect). This is
>across multiple machines, so I am excluding hardware failure.

Interesting. I still might question whether it's hardware-related
since they all use touchpads. Maybe it's something in the touchpad
code that's causing it.

>> Have you tried this with another mouse and gotten the same
>> result?
>
>I shall plug a mouse into the laptops and try, thanks.

I'd love to hear how that turns out. If the mouse works consistently
and the touchpads don't, then it will at least send you in a specific
direction and you can go in armed with that information when filling
out bug reports.

>> I tend to keep a supply of new mice handy because the model I
>> prefer tends to misbehave in two different ways when it's no good
>> any more.
>
>Very interesting. How long does a mouse last you?

Several months. Some of them last over a year. Only two mice have
ever broken the two-year mark, though, and those were both brands
other than my usual go-to mouse. One of them (my work computer
mouse) has recently broken the five-year mark, which is simply
astonishing. I'm hard on my peripherals.

>> It either clicks more than I told it to or refuses to click when I
>> tell it to. The misbehavior is random and sporadic at first and
>> becomes more and more frequent as time goes by. It sounds like you
>> may be seeing some of that kind of misbehavior with your mouse.
>
>This certainly describes my touchpads' behaviour, but it's constant:
>it neither improves nor deteriorates with time.

Then you have my sympathies. That behavior is maddening. The moment I
see it, I'm already tearing open the next mouse package. Also, I
thought I'd add that putting a new mouse into place always instantly
and completely solves the issue.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: copy/paste problem

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 22:29, rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > This is a fancy way of saying "don't use Chrome, use Firefox", which
> > is a fancy way of saying "don't use a Chrome-family browser (e.g.
> > Chromium, Opera, Vivaldi, Safari), use a Mozilla-family browser (e.g.
> > Waterfox, SeaMonkey, PaleMoon, etc.)"
>
> I'm currently running Firefox, PaleMoon, Brave, Vivaldi, and I use them
> in that order. I'm also experimenting with Falcon, but copy/paste does
> not work at all, in any way, so that makes it very non-useful.

OK. My point here was that this comes up fairly often with browser
tabs/windows. Not with file managers, in my experience.

So for your particular instance, you can really just ignore the
comments about browsers.

> I tried Nemo some time ago, had problems, and dropped it. Might be good
> to try it again.

I find it makes like easier _not_ to set it to manage the desktop. I
just pin an icon to the dock and use that when I need a file manager.
Nautilus/Files remains the default.

It works fine as the desktop manager, but distro upgrades break, every time.

> Side question - are multiple tabs in
> one file manager more efficient than using multiple file managers?

Depends on the tool but probably not. I'd expect a tab to run in the
same process or thread, but a window quite possibly to be a new
process.

> I've used these in the past but not currently. I actually still have
> Midnight Commander installed on the current system, but don't use it.

I suggest trying a few out.

Also, don't neglect virtual desktops. Pair a vdesktop with the
browser/ file manager for that subject.

Mental / conceptual segregation can sometimes save computer resources,
or make them more useful.

> When I tried to check out the CPU usage with HTOP, I got a strange
> sounding result. When sorted by CPU, the top line listed CPU usage at
> 500-550%. Not sure how to interpret that, but it doesn't sound like an
> ordinary percentage.

I'd interpret that as you having 6-8 CPU cores and the process is
maxing out 5 cores and ½ of another.

> Below that are about 15 entries, each with 30-50%.
> All of these are for WebKitwebprocess.

Webkit means a Chrome-based browser. As I said, if you routinely work
with lots of tabs, Chrome is not your friend. 1 tab = 1 process. So
many means lots of RAM, lots of CPU, lots of disk activity.

Firefox maxes out at 4 processes.

> Anyway, thank you very much for your (always useful) suggestions and
> info.

It's kind of you to say so and thanks! I will be very pleased if they
are of any help.

Re: copy/paste problem

rikona
On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 16:46:07 +0100
Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

[multiple snips]

> > I tried Nemo some time ago, had problems, and dropped it. Might be
> > good to try it again.
>
> I find it makes like easier _not_ to set it to manage the desktop. I
> just pin an icon to the dock and use that when I need a file manager.
> Nautilus/Files remains the default.
>
> It works fine as the desktop manager, but distro upgrades break,
> every time.

Aha - I didn't realize that Nemo tried to manage the desktop, if it
does so on a default install. Maybe that's why I had problems. Also,
around the time, I was having trouble with upgrades. Maybe that was
part of the problem.

Might this also be a problem with my installed KDE and/or other stuff?
How can I determine if Nemo is managing my desktop?

I> > When I tried to check out the CPU usage with HTOP, I got a strange
> > sounding result. When sorted by CPU, the top line listed CPU usage
> > at 500-550%. Not sure how to interpret that, but it doesn't sound
> > like an ordinary percentage.
>
> I'd interpret that as you having 6-8 CPU cores and the process is
> maxing out 5 cores and ½ of another.

Okay. Makes sense, but didn't realize it was a cumulative percentage.

> > Below that are about 15 entries, each with 30-50%.
> > All of these are for WebKitwebprocess.
>
> Webkit means a Chrome-based browser. As I said, if you routinely work
> with lots of tabs, Chrome is not your friend. 1 tab = 1 process. So
> many means lots of RAM, lots of CPU, lots of disk activity.

If I add up all the %s, Webkit seems to be using almost all of ALL the
CPUs. Yech!!

Looks like Vivaldi and Brave are both chrome-based. As a test, I closed
all the tabs and windows in both of these, but the number of WebKit
entries or the CPU usage in HTOP did not change at all! Would WebKit
keep these processes running even if I closed these? [I can believe
that Google would like to keep some invasive software running no matter
what.] How can I check to see what other things might be using WebKit?

> Firefox maxes out at 4 processes.

Interesting. In the past I tried to run lots of Firefox instances, but
when there were more than about four or so windows open I ran into LOTS
of problems - wouldn't keep working.

Again, thanks...

Rik

Does not recognize scanner

Gabriel Rosa Paz
Hi.

We are using Ubuntu 18.04 here in the company and we have a multifunction printer Lexmark model X204n, the printing operation is working perfectly, but I can't make the scanner functionality work, I installed the existing driver on the Lexmark website (the latest version was for ubuntu 12.10) and also the xsane program, but does not recognize the scanner device. The printer / scanner is directly connected to the computer via USB cable.

If anyone has any tips I appreciate it.

Thank you.

Gabriel Rosa Paz

Re: Does not recognize scanner

Peter Flynn
On 15/11/2019 23:56, Gabriel Rosa Paz wrote:
> We are using Ubuntu 18.04 here in the company and we have a
> multifunction printer Lexmark model X204n, the printing operation is
> working perfectly, but I can't make the scanner functionality work, I
> installed the existing driver on the Lexmark website (the latest version
> was for ubuntu 12.10) and also the xsane program, but does not recognize
> the scanner device. The printer / scanner is directly connected to the
> computer via USB cable.
>
> If anyone has any tips I appreciate it.

I had a similar problem with a Brother wifi multi-function scanner last
week. In that case, I had to find out the IP address of the device, and
use Brother's downloadable config tool (brsaneconfig4) to add it to the
file at /opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/brsanenetdevice4.cfg which Xsane
somehow automagically finds.

Lexmark seem to have a Linux config tool for Xsane at
http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=content&id=HO3617&userlocale=EN_UK&segment=SUPPORT&productCode=LEXMARK_INTERPRET_S405
Is that the one you downloaded? I haven't used a USB-connected scanner
for a long time — does your X204n have wireless and have you tried
connecting it and letting the software scan for it?

Peter

Re: Does not recognize scanner

Brian-277
On Fri 15 Nov 2019 at 20:56:21 -0300, Gabriel Rosa Paz wrote:

> We are using Ubuntu 18.04 here in the company and we have a multifunction
> printer Lexmark model X204n, the printing operation is working perfectly,
> but I can't make the scanner functionality work, I installed the existing
> driver on the Lexmark website (the latest version was for ubuntu 12.10) and
> also the xsane program, but does not recognize the scanner device. The
> printer / scanner is directly connected to the computer via USB cable.
>
> If anyone has any tips I appreciate it.

Give the outputs of 'sane-find-scanner', 'scanimage -L' and
'dpkg -l libsane'.

--
Brian.

Re: copy/paste problem

william drescher
On 11/13/2019 6:25 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 05:57, rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have 15-20 'files' windows running
>
> /What?!/
>
> What on earth are you doing with them all?
>
> If you need more than about 3 at any time, I'd say you're using it wrong.
>
> In which case, I would compare this to the people who use hundreds of
> browser tabs as a bookmarks system and then complain when a browser
> update loses them all. My advice then is always "you are using the
> tool incorrectly. Stop doing it and learn to use it properly." E.g.,
> for a browser, don't leave a tab open if you are not using it right
> now or regularly -- bookmark it, structure your bookmarks for easy
> access/reference, and learn to make effective use of bookmarks
> toolbars/sidebars/etc.

OT: Thanks for the information.  I guess I need to move into the
21st century.  I have been using Mozilla since it became
available and haven't stopped to learn all the new features.
bill