copy/paste problem

Re: copy/paste problem

rikona
On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 07:20:10 -0500
Little Girl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> rikona wrote:
> >Little Girl wrote:
>
> >> Have you tried this with another mouse and gotten the same result?
> >> I tend to keep a supply of new mice handy because the model I
> >> prefer tends to misbehave in two different ways when it's no good
> >> any more.
>
> >Excellent suggestion - thanks! The current mouse has seen a LOT of
> >use. I don't have a handy spare but will try it, and maybe keep some
> >spares. That sounds like a good idea.
>
> I hope it solves the issue for you. It has always solved mine so far
> (knock on wood).

I ordered a new mouse but in the meantime I've done a couple of hundred
moves using konq to konq. As I was doing them I noticed I didn't have a
single failure. Worked fast, and every time. I then tried MANY from
Nautilus to konq. All of these also worked fast and perfectly. I'm back
to thinking it is a software problem, but will try the new mouse when
it arrives. Any other thoughts on the software front? Liam had several
good suggestions to think about.

Re: copy/paste problem

Little Girl
Hey there,

rikona wrote:

>I ordered a new mouse but in the meantime I've done a couple of
>hundred moves using konq to konq. As I was doing them I noticed I
>didn't have a single failure. Worked fast, and every time. I then
>tried MANY from Nautilus to konq. All of these also worked fast and
>perfectly. I'm back to thinking it is a software problem, but will
>try the new mouse when it arrives. Any other thoughts on the
>software front? Liam had several good suggestions to think about.

It's interesting that you're not seeing the issue in
Konqueror-to-Konqueror and in Nautilus-to-Konqueror. Have you also
tried it again in Nautilus-to-Nautilus? I take it that's what you
were referring to when you said "2 'files' windows" in your original
post. I'd be curious to see if you can repeat the issue by repeating
the circumstances.

There are a lot of possibilities here:

It's possible that there was an issue previously that has been
resolved in some unknown way (software update, cache clearing, etc.)
and your system is now running fine.

It's possible that there's a bug in the Nautilus code that needs to be
sorted out.

It's possible that there's a Nautilus-to-Nautilus use case that the
Nautilus team hadn't thought of or thought out properly that needs to
be written or sorted out.

It's also possible that it's device-related. Whenever I see
inconsistent behavior, which is what you had initially described, I
look to hardware. There may be something about your device's design
that doesn't play nice with Nautilus-to-Nautilus moves, but works
fine in moves involving other software. For this to be likely,
though, the misbehavior would be consistent, and you're seeing
inconsistent behavior.

Last, but not least, it's possible that it's a combination of
hardware and software. Perhaps the hardware is occasionally failing
outright (as mice do when they start to wear out) and Nautilus isn't
as forgiving as Konqueror because of some conditional clause that was
written into the Konqueror code that's either missing in Nautilus, is
in a different order in Nautilus, or is written differently in
Nautilus and, therefore, triggers/doesn't trigger at the time of
failure, causing Nautilus to fall over while Konqueror stands strong.
Or perhaps there's something about the way your device behaves that
the developers didn't take into account when writing the software and
such a thing manifests only when the device begins to fail, which
happens intermittently.

The problem with intermittent issues is that they're hard to pin
down. If you get the new mouse and plug it in and it works perfectly
in every scenario above every time, you won't know for sure which of
the above scenarios (including ones not mentioned above) was the
culprit. If you get the new mouse and plug it in and it works
perfectly in every scenario above except for Nautilus-to-Nautilus
moves, you won't know which of the Nautilus-related possibilities
(including ones not mentioned above) are the culprit. Even
large-scale testing involving allegedly detailed control of
circumstance would be fraught with the possibility of human error and
misinterpretation. Computers are confounding and messy and glorious
at the same time.

Either way, it's lucky for you that the issue is with, or seems to
only be affecting, an inexpensive peripheral device. Best of all, it
looks like you've found a solution that's working reliably for you
now.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: copy/paste problem

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 at 00:14, rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Aha - I didn't realize that Nemo tried to manage the desktop, if it
> does so on a default install. Maybe that's why I had problems. Also,
> around the time, I was having trouble with upgrades. Maybe that was
> part of the problem.

It doesn't by default, no. Not if installed on another desktop; it's
the default on Cinnamon.

But most installtion guides tell you to set this, I guess because
having a different file manager pop up when you click a desktop icon
is confusing.

> Might this also be a problem with my installed KDE and/or other stuff?

I *really* doubt it.

> How can I determine if Nemo is managing my desktop?

If you're not running Unity or GNOME 3, I don't think it even _can_.
If you didn't set it, it isn't.

> Okay. Makes sense, but didn't realize it was a cumulative percentage.

How else could they display it?

> If I add up all the %s, Webkit seems to be using almost all of ALL the
> CPUs. Yech!!

That is Chrome's explicit design. Use all available CPU to deliver the
fastest possible experience.

Think of ChromeOS: if you use mainly Google tools, the web is all you
need. Their email, address book, calendar, productivity suite, chat
app, videoconf app, phone calling app, are all Web 2 apps. I.e. web
pages.

This is how Google has done an end-run around Windows (biggest app
selection in the world), Apple (closed ecosystem but high-quality apps
on desktop and on mobile), the many Linux distros (free apps for
everything, often a dozen of them, often of poor quality.)

With Google, all you need is a modern browser. It doesn't matter what
OS you run: Google's apps work. No installation, no packaging formats,
no compatibility worries, no updates, no licensing, nothing. Connect
and run.

And if you don't have a modern enough computer, they'll sell you one:
a nice super-cheap low-end laptop designed to do only 1 thing but do
it well: run a super-lightweight, cut-down, free OS with a single app
-- a modern browser.

Bypassing the entire battlefield of OSes, desktops, package formats,
programming languages, everything, even CPU families. All instantly
becomes academic. All you need is an internet connection and a
browser.

> Looks like Vivaldi and Brave are both chrome-based.

Yep.

> As a test, I closed
> all the tabs and windows in both of these, but the number of WebKit
> entries or the CPU usage in HTOP did not change at all! Would WebKit
> keep these processes running even if I closed these?

Depends on the browser. Recent versions of Chrome spawn a background
process that stays open. It's usually visible as an icon in your
system tray/notification area/whatever.

> > Firefox maxes out at 4 processes.
>
> Interesting. In the past I tried to run lots of Firefox instances, but
> when there were more than about four or so windows open I ran into LOTS
> of problems - wouldn't keep working.

Don't. 1 instance, and ideally, 1 window.

Multiple windows works fine, but if you close them all and the app,
when you reopen it, you will either get a mixture of all your tabs
from all your windows, or only the last window closed, and it's not
ideal. So don't.

Use Tree Style Tabs if you need multiple groups of multiple tabs.

Re: copy/paste problem

Colin Watson
On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 05:15:18PM +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 at 00:14, rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Interesting. In the past I tried to run lots of Firefox instances, but
> > when there were more than about four or so windows open I ran into LOTS
> > of problems - wouldn't keep working.
>
> Don't. 1 instance, and ideally, 1 window.
>
> Multiple windows works fine, but if you close them all and the app,
> when you reopen it, you will either get a mixture of all your tabs
> from all your windows, or only the last window closed, and it's not
> ideal. So don't.

FWIW I've never had that problem, and I routinely have five Firefox
windows on the go (roughly divided up into personal, work, Debian
development, and a couple of specific projects; I put them on specific
virtual desktops with associated terminal windows nearby, so just
grouping tabs doesn't work well for me).  Works fine.  The only problem
I've ever had on restarting the browser is that all the windows end up
back on the same virtual desktop, but that only takes seconds to fix.

I don't normally run multiple instances.  At one point I tended to have
two profiles in regular use due to a temporary workaround I needed as a
result of Google buying the .dev TLD - long story - but I fixed that
differently some time back, and now it's just the one.

Re: copy/paste problem

Liam Proven
On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 at 17:56, Colin Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FWIW I've never had that problem, and I routinely have five Firefox
> windows on the go (roughly divided up into personal, work, Debian
> development, and a couple of specific projects; I put them on specific
> virtual desktops with associated terminal windows nearby, so just
> grouping tabs doesn't work well for me).  Works fine.  The only problem
> I've ever had on restarting the browser is that all the windows end up
> back on the same virtual desktop, but that only takes seconds to fix.

Worth knowing; TFTI.

It's something I rarely do, and I don't use mainline Firefox any more.
After Quantum, 17 of my extensions stopped working, leaving just 3, 2
of them relatively unimportant. So I switched to Waterfox.

Re: copy/paste problem

Bret Busby-2
On 18/11/2019, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 at 00:14, rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

>> Interesting. In the past I tried to run lots of Firefox instances, but
>> when there were more than about four or so windows open I ran into LOTS
>> of problems - wouldn't keep working.
>
> Don't. 1 instance, and ideally, 1 window.
>
> Multiple windows works fine, but if you close them all and the app,
> when you reopen it, you will either get a mixture of all your tabs
> from all your windows, or only the last window closed, and it's not
> ideal. So don't.
>
> Use Tree Style Tabs if you need multiple groups of multiple tabs.

With firefox, I have found that, with multiple windows of multiple
tabs, open, if either I use File -> Quit, or, I have to do a hard
system reboot (turn off the power, and after letting the HDD stop
turning, boot up again, because interrupts have been disabled by a
hanging), then, when running Firefox the next time, selecting Restore
Previous Session, the session is restored, with the relevant tabs in
their relevant positions, in their relevant windows.

This works on both firefox on UbuntuMATE 16.04.6 and on UbuntuMATE 19.10.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."