default music player disappeared on Ubuntu 12.04

default music player disappeared on Ubuntu 12.04

Gelonida N
Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and had a music player installed (by default),
that I could access via the top bar's audio icon.

I installed now some alternative desk top managers and somehow one of
the installed packages seems to have removed my audioplayer.

It is now replaced by gmusicbrowser and my playlist of the preceeding
audio players are of course not used.

So my questions:

1.) What is the daufault audio player on Ubuntu 12.04?
2.) How can I start it if it is no more the defualt player?
3.) What do I have to do to make it again the default player?
4.) Is it possible to have two different audio players in the
      top bar's audio menu?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Re: default music player disappeared on Ubuntu 12.04

Lucio M Nicolosi-3
On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Gelonida N <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and had a music player installed (by default), that
> I could access via the top bar's audio icon.
>

> I installed now some alternative desk top managers and somehow one of the
> installed packages seems to have removed my audioplayer.
>
> It is now replaced by gmusicbrowser and my playlist of the preceeding audio
> players are of course not used.
>

> So my questions:
>
> 1.) What is the daufault audio player on Ubuntu 12.04?
> 2.) How can I start it if it is no more the defualt player?
> 3.) What do I have to do to make it again the default player?
> 4.) Is it possible to have two different audio players in the
>     top bar's audio menu?

Look for "Rhythmbox" on Dash, it is the default music player on a
clean install. You can probably lock its icon on launcher (the left
panel).

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Implementation

On 05/27/2012 11:41 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Gelonida N<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and had a music player installed (by default), that
>> I could access via the top bar's audio icon.
>>

>> I installed now some alternative desk top managers and somehow one of the
>> installed packages seems to have removed my audioplayer.
>>
>> It is now replaced by gmusicbrowser and my playlist of the preceeding audio
>> players are of course not used.
>>

>> So my questions:
>>
>> 1.) What is the daufault audio player on Ubuntu 12.04?
>> 2.) How can I start it if it is no more the defualt player?
>> 3.) What do I have to do to make it again the default player?
>> 4.) Is it possible to have two different audio players in the
>>      top bar's audio menu?
>
> Look for "Rhythmbox" on Dash, it is the default music player on a
> clean install. You can probably lock its icon on launcher (the left
> panel).

Yes, It was Rhythmbox. and it was still installed and I can start it
from dash.
Thank you. At least I should now be able to lock it to the launcher.

Ideally however I'd like to have it back to the top bar's audio section
as it was initially.

WWhere can I choose that Rhythmbox will be already in the top bar after
login and that gmusicbrowser shouldn't?

Re: default music player disappeared on Ubuntu 12.04

sktsee-3
On Mon, 28 May 2012 10:14:01 +0200, Gelonida N wrote:

> On 05/27/2012 11:41 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Gelonida N<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and had a music player installed (by
>>> default), that I could access via the top bar's audio icon.
>>>

>>> I installed now some alternative desk top managers and somehow one of
>>> the installed packages seems to have removed my audioplayer.
>>>
>>> It is now replaced by gmusicbrowser and my playlist of the preceeding
>>> audio players are of course not used.
>>>

>>> So my questions:
>>>
>>> 1.) What is the daufault audio player on Ubuntu 12.04?
>>> 2.) How can I start it if it is no more the defualt player?
>>> 3.) What do I have to do to make it again the default player?
>>> 4.) Is it possible to have two different audio players in the
>>>      top bar's audio menu?
>>
>> Look for "Rhythmbox" on Dash, it is the default music player on a clean
>> install. You can probably lock its icon on launcher (the left panel).
>>

> Yes, It was Rhythmbox. and it was still installed and I can start it
> from dash.
> Thank you. At least I should now be able to lock it to the launcher.
>
> Ideally however I'd like to have it back to the top bar's audio section
> as it was initially.
>
> WWhere can I choose that Rhythmbox will be already in the top bar after
> login and that gmusicbrowser shouldn't?

I don't know if there is an easier way to do this, but the following
method should work.

1. Open dconf-editor (found in the 'dconf-tools' package)
2. Navigate to com->canonical->indicator->sound. Remove gmusicbrowser
from the "interested-media-players" list and place it in the "blacklisted-
media-players" one. Or, you can just switch the order of rhythmbox and
gmusicbrowser since the indicator displays only the first listed
installed app in the menu.
You may have to log out and back in to affect the change.

--
sktsee

Re: default music player disappeared on Ubuntu 12.04

Paul Smith-2
On Mon, 2012-05-28 at 14:43 +0000, sktsee wrote:
> Or, you can just switch the order of rhythmbox and
> gmusicbrowser since the indicator displays only the first listed
> installed app in the menu.

Are you sure about that?

I installed Banshee (wanted Amazon MP3 purchasing capability, which
Rhythmbox does not have, especially since the Amazon downloader won't
work on my Ubuntu 12.04 64bit) and now both Rhythmbox and Banshee show
up in the indicator drop-down.

On Mon, 28 May 2012 11:09:20 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-05-28 at 14:43 +0000, sktsee wrote:
>> Or, you can just switch the order of rhythmbox and gmusicbrowser since
>> the indicator displays only the first listed installed app in the menu.
>
> Are you sure about that?
>
> I installed Banshee (wanted Amazon MP3 purchasing capability, which
> Rhythmbox does not have, especially since the Amazon downloader won't
> work on my Ubuntu 12.04 64bit) and now both Rhythmbox and Banshee show
> up in the indicator drop-down.

Well, not too sure :) I had both gmusicbrowser and rhythmbox installed,
but at the time only gmusicbrowser was showing up in the indicator menu.
I remember fiddling with the dconf settings, but I was also doing other
tweaks at the same time so I may missed something else I did to get
rhytmbox to show up. Looking at rhythmbox's plugin preferences just now I
see that I have both MPRIS and MPRIS2 plugins enabled. I believe least
one of those is required to have rhythmbox controls present in the
indicator menu so the OP may want to check that on his system.

--
sktsee

On 05/28/2012 10:14 AM, Gelonida N wrote:

> On 05/27/2012 11:41 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Gelonida N<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and had a music player installed (by
>>> default), that
>>> I could access via the top bar's audio icon.
>>>

>>> I installed now some alternative desk top managers and somehow one of
>>> the
>>> installed packages seems to have removed my audioplayer.
>>>
>>> It is now replaced by gmusicbrowser and my playlist of the preceeding
>>> audio
>>> players are of course not used.
>>>

>>> So my questions:
>>>
>>> 1.) What is the daufault audio player on Ubuntu 12.04?
>>> 2.) How can I start it if it is no more the defualt player?
>>> 3.) What do I have to do to make it again the default player?
>>> 4.) Is it possible to have two different audio players in the
>>> top bar's audio menu?
>>
>> Look for "Rhythmbox" on Dash, it is the default music player on a
>> clean install. You can probably lock its icon on launcher (the left
>> panel).
>>

> Yes, It was Rhythmbox. and it was still installed and I can start it
> from dash.
> Thank you. At least I should now be able to lock it to the launcher.
>
> Ideally however I'd like to have it back to the top bar's audio section
> as it was initially.
>
> WWhere can I choose that Rhythmbox will be already in the top bar after
> login and that gmusicbrowser shouldn't?

Hmmm Since I started rhythmbox once manually it have added itself
automatically back to the audio top bar. (now I have gmusic browser and
rhythmbox in the list)

I still don't know what I made to have it disappear in the first place,
but it's back again.