[desktop] Doc string freeze for Yakkety tomorrow

[desktop] Doc string freeze for Yakkety tomorrow

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi all,

Want to mention that "DocumentationStringFreeze" for Yakkety happens
tomorrow. After that ubuntu-docs will be passed to the translators, and
further contents changes, except for exceptionally important ones, will
have to wait until the Z series.

So, if there is a change, which you think should make it into
ubuntu-docs for yakkety, there are approximately 25 hours left to act.

I have fixed a few minor bugs, and AFAICT there are no really urgent
things left.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: [desktop] Doc string freeze for Yakkety tomorrow

Hannie Dumoleyn
Hi Gunnar,
Thanks for letting us know.
Months ago I have tried Unity 8 on my PC, and I have sent several emails
to this list about this subject.
My personal conclusion is that, although Unity 8 is an option in Yakkety
(and previous versions), it is far from perfect and far less useful than
Unity 7,  on a desktop or laptop system. Therefore, I do not think it
worthwhile to describe it in the Ubuntu docs.
Regards,
Hannie

Op 14-09-16 om 22:13 schreef Gunnar Hjalmarsson:

> Hi all,
>
> Want to mention that "DocumentationStringFreeze" for Yakkety happens
> tomorrow. After that ubuntu-docs will be passed to the translators, and
> further contents changes, except for exceptionally important ones, will
> have to wait until the Z series.
>
> So, if there is a change, which you think should make it into
> ubuntu-docs for yakkety, there are approximately 25 hours left to act.
>
> I have fixed a few minor bugs, and AFAICT there are no really urgent
> things left.

Re: [desktop] Doc string freeze for Yakkety tomorrow

Will Cooke-2
On 15 September 2016 at 09:21, Hannie Dumoleyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
My personal conclusion is that, although Unity 8 is an option in Yakkety (and previous versions), it is far from perfect and far less useful than Unity 7,  on a desktop or laptop system. Therefore, I do not think it worthwhile to describe it in the Ubuntu docs.
<snip>
Op 14-09-16 om 22:13 schreef Gunnar Hjalmarsson:
Hi all,

Want to mention that "DocumentationStringFreeze" for Yakkety happens
tomorrow. After that ubuntu-docs will be passed to the translators, and
further contents changes, except for exceptionally important ones, will
have to wait until the Z series.

So, if there is a change, which you think should make it into
ubuntu-docs for yakkety, there are approximately 25 hours left to act.

Hi all,

I was about to send the following email to the mailing list, but I think it slots in to this thread:

TL;DR - I agree with Hannie.

I'm writing to update you on the status of Unity 8 in 16.10.  As we discussed back at the start of this cycle we wanted U8 to be available as an alternative session on the ISO.  That is to say that U8 will be installed by default, but that it will not yet be the default session; users will still log in to U7 by default but they won't have to install anything special in order to test U8 as well.

This work has been going on for a while, but the biggest task has been getting all of the U8 dependant packages out of Universe and in to Main.  This work is still going on.  There were around 80 packages which needed to be checked by the Security team and the MIR team before they can be promoted and seeded.

That work is nearing completion.  I appreciate that it's very late in the cycle but this work has been going on for a long time, just the amount of reviews that need to happen means this will be arriving late.

QA are testing (and indeed have been testing) to make sure nothing in the default session breaks with U8 installed, although we've been using it like this for a while expect all the significant bugs to have been found by now.

I appreciate this is a significant and late change, but as I say it's been in the works for a while but the amount of work has taken time to get done.

I think that document U8 is a very big task, and once it's available for testing easily in Y that process can begin in earnest.  So I don't think there are any updates required at this point, but it would be great to kick of that process early next cycle.

Regards, Will

Op 15-09-16 om 16:12 schreef Will Cooke:
[...]

Thanks for the update, Will.
If other doc team members agree, I suggest we will not add U8 to the docs version 16.10, but we should keep a close eye to the next cycle. Keep us informed.

Hannie

Re: [desktop] Doc string freeze for Yakkety tomorrow

Alberto Salvia Novella
Will Cooke:
> I think that document U8 is a very big task

Perhaps documenting the less obvious things, like short-cuts and so on,
would be enough for the moment.

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: [desktop] Doc string freeze for Yakkety tomorrow

Aaron Honeycutt-2

I've not contributed as much as I would like (yet) but I would agree to keep Unity 8 Docs to a minimal since it still is a WIP and APIs are still changing.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016, 12:11 PM Alberto Salvia Novella <[hidden email]> wrote:
Will Cooke:
> I think that document U8 is a very big task

Perhaps documenting the less obvious things, like short-cuts and so on,
would be enough for the moment.

Aaron Honeycutt
- Ubuntu Fl Loco South Lead
- Kubuntu Council Member

On 2016-09-15 16:12, Will Cooke wrote:
> I think that document U8 is a very big task, and once it's available
> for testing easily in Y that process can begin in earnest.  So I
> don't think there are any updates required at this point,

Noted.

> but it would be great to kick of that process early next cycle.

Someone, who is ready to spend considerable time with the U8 docs, must
take the lead in that process.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: [desktop] Doc string freeze for Yakkety tomorrow

Chris Perry-2
Hi Gunnar

Thanks for doing this (creating the desktop help for 16.10). I noticed
that this page (link below) says 16.10 is an LTS (about six lines from
the top) - but it's not. I can't edit the page. Can you correct it?

https://help.ubuntu.com/

On a separate point, some of the changes you made to create the 16.10
help also need to be made to the 16.04 help (and 14.04 help and 12.04
help?). Do we have a date for an update to the 16.04 help?

Regards,

Chris.

On 2016-09-20 11:41, Chris Perry wrote:
> I noticed that this page (link below) says 16.10 is an LTS (about six
> lines from the top) - but it's not. I can't edit the page. Can you
> correct it?
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/

Fixed. (Should be visible in a couple of hours.) Thanks for pointing it out!

> On a separate point, some of the changes you made to create the
> 16.10 help also need to be made to the 16.04 help (and 14.04 help and
> 12.04 help?).

While that would be desirable, we usually only make corrections in the
current development version. The reason is that the docs are translated,
and given the way the whole thing is set up, it would mean too much work
to be worth it. (Exceptions *can* be made for exceptionally bad errors.)

One nice way to refer to the desktop guide is to use this URL:

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/
------------------------^^^^^^

It refers to the last released Ubuntu version, so once 16.10 has been
released, that URL will point to the 16.10 docs.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: [desktop] Doc string freeze for Yakkety tomorrow

Chris Perry-2
Hi Gunnar

Thanks for your reply. Regarding the 16.04 help. Yes I can see any
updates to the 16.04 help would need to be translated (into dozens of
languages?). On the other hand the 16.04 help does contain some
significant errors/omissions (in my opinion) - but not "exceptionally
bad errors"? And we can't correct them! (Sorry, I'm not criticising
you. Presumably this situation has been the case since the first
Ubuntu release?)

Regards,

Chris.

On 2016-09-20 13:27, Chris Perry wrote:
> Presumably this situation has been the case since the first Ubuntu
> release?

It's a resource matter, and it has been this way for the past 10 cycles
or so. Don't know how it worked before that.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

RE: [desktop] Doc string freeze for Yakkety tomorrow

Doug Smythies
On 2016.09.20 02:41 Chris Perry wrote:

> Thanks for doing this (creating the desktop help for 16.10). I noticed
> that this page (link below) says 16.10 is an LTS (about six lines from
> the top) - but it's not. I can't edit the page. Can you correct it?

That was my mistake. Thanks for pointing it out.

Gunnar: Thanks for fixing it.

... Doug

On 2016.09.20 05:46 Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> On 2016-09-20 13:27, Chris Perry wrote:
>> Presumably this situation has been the case since the first Ubuntu
>> release?

> It's a resource matter, and it has been this way for the past 10 cycles
> or so. Don't know how it worked before that.

I just want to support Gunnar's statement, that it is a resource matter.
We simply do not have the capacity to go back and update the previous releases.

It is the same for the serverguide, but since only LTS versions are published,
we do maintain and do point releases on the current LTS (currently, 16.04)
version until about 1/2 year before the next LTS.

... Doug