.desktop files no longer run when double clicked (on desktop or in file browser)

.desktop files no longer run when double clicked (on desktop or in file browser)

Colin Law
In Ubuntu 19.04 I am finding that it is not possible to run a .desktop
file on the Desktop, or in nautilus file browser, by double clicking
it.  Apparently the Gnome developers have decided that there is no
need for us to be able to this.  Searching has not yielded a
workaround other than to install a different file manager.

See https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/05/nautilus-will-no-longer-launch-binaries.html

Colin

Re: .desktop files no longer run when double clicked (on desktop or in file browser)

Tom H-4
On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 9:46 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In Ubuntu 19.04 I am finding that it is not possible to run a .desktop
> file on the Desktop, or in nautilus file browser, by double clicking
> it. Apparently the Gnome developers have decided that there is no
> need for us to be able to this. Searching has not yielded a
> workaround other than to install a different file manager.
>
> See https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/05/nautilus-will-no-longer-launch-binaries.html

I don't use Gnome but I seem to remember that there's an extension to
remedy this change.

On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 12:08, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 9:46 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > In Ubuntu 19.04 I am finding that it is not possible to run a .desktop
> > file on the Desktop, or in nautilus file browser, by double clicking
> > it. Apparently the Gnome developers have decided that there is no
> > need for us to be able to this. Searching has not yielded a
> > workaround other than to install a different file manager.
> >
> > See https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/05/nautilus-will-no-longer-launch-binaries.html
>
> I don't use Gnome but I seem to remember that there's an extension to
> remedy this change.

I think you are right, gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons, however
even then it does not work instantly.  It seems it is necessary to
Right Click and select Allow Launching.

Thanks

Colin