[desktop] ubuntu-docs ready to translate

[desktop] ubuntu-docs ready to translate

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi all,

Today is "DocumentationStringFreeze"[1]. We have finished the work with
the desktop guide for 17.04 and passed the remaining last strings to the
translators, who now have two weeks time to finalize the translations
(due March 30).

Doug has published the preliminary version here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/17.04/ubuntu-help/

and in a couple of hours it will be updated with translations up to
yesterday.

Our new docs team member Chris Perry has done most of the work this
cycle. Doug and I have reviewed quite a few contributions, and it has
been a pleasure to mentor Chris on the nuts and bolts of the processes.
Chris has taken ownership of the tasks he took on, and has done an
excellent job in improving some parts of the desktop guide. Thanks for
being with us, Chris!

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationStringFreeze

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: [desktop] ubuntu-docs ready to translate

Aputsiak Niels Janussen
Hi,

Hats off for your work!

The Danish translation team won't make this deadline and unfortunately never has.

I'd like it to be different for at least the 18.04 LTS release.
I see the Dutch, Galician, and the Swedish has made full translation coverage so far. Cool!
I'd like to know how these teams go about translating "ubuntu-docs".

Do you use Launchpad for the translation process, and if so, how do you keep track of suggestions, terminology and so on.
I've considered moving the Danish translation process out of Launchpad to another system, say Pootle, but worry that synchronisation issues will make it a mess.
Any input on the tools and processes?

Cheers,

Aputsiak Niels Janussen (aj)
Danish translation team

[...]

Doug Smythies
On 2017.03.30 09:55 Aputsiak Niels Janussen wote:

> I've considered moving the Danish translation process out of Launchpad
> to another system, say Pootle, but worry that synchronisation issues
> will make it a mess.

Yes, I think it could be a synchronisation challenge.

You would have to manage the process, ultimately putting the translations
back into Launchpad, perhaps as a .po file import.

... Doug

On 2017-03-30 18:55, Aputsiak Niels Janussen wrote:
> I'd like to know how these teams go about translating "ubuntu-docs".
>
> Do you use Launchpad for the translation process, and if so, how do
> you keep track of suggestions, terminology and so on.

The Swedish team has mostly used the Launchpad interface. As was
recently discussed in another thread, it does have its shortcomings
(doesn't handle fuzzy translations), but one advantage is that you can
submit suggestions, and somebody else can review and approve.

Another method is to download the PO file, edit it using e.g. Lokalize
(as Hannie mentioned) or Poedit, let someone else review the modified
file, and upload it when approved.

Achieving a consistent terminology is one of the challenges with
translating ubuntu-docs. Basically you need to have the development
version of Ubuntu available and follow the instructions to see which
terms are used in the various applications. I don't know of an easy way
to handle that. Collaborating within the translators team is important.

> I've considered moving the Danish translation process out of
> Launchpad to another system, say Pootle, but worry that
> synchronisation issues will make it a mess.

I agree with Doug, and would advise against using some other online
translation service. In the end the PO file must be uploaded to LP anyway.