dhclient sending request to port 67 locking system up

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

dhclient sending request to port 67 locking system up

Scott Blair

I have been getting the following errors in my syslog file and it is causing my system to hard lock.


dhclient[1300]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0 to 192.168.0.1 port 67 (xid=0x7a4f385)

dhclient[1300]: send_packet: Operation not permitted

dhclient[1300]: dhclient.c:2386: Failed to send 300 byte long packet over fallback interface.

dhclient[1300]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0 to 192.168.0.1 port 67 (xid=0x7a4f385)

dhclient[1300]: send_packet: Operation not permitted


I opened port 67 in the firewall and that didn't work.

I also tried this :

$IPTABLES  -I INPUT -i $LAN_IFACE -p udp --dport 67:68 --sport 67:68 -j ACCEPT

 
But it comes back -I command not found.

Any Ideas?




Thanks,

Scott Blair

USMC Defending your freedoms since 10 November 1775

Save on backup time "BackupDevice=Null"

If you don't stand behind our troops,
feel free to stand in front of them.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dhclient sending request to port 67 locking system up

Xen
Scott Blair schreef op 06-11-2017 18:24:

> I have been getting the following errors in my syslog file and it is
> causing my system to hard lock.
>
> dhclient[1300]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0 to 192.168.0.1
> port 67 (xid=0x7a4f385)
> dhclient[1300]: send_packet: Operation not permitted
> dhclient[1300]: dhclient.c:2386: Failed to send 300 byte long packet
> over fallback interface.
> dhclient[1300]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0 to 192.168.0.1
> port 67 (xid=0x7a4f385)
> dhclient[1300]: send_packet: Operation not permitted

I don't know what the problem is; dhclient only requires an interface to
be in the "up" state.

It should never really cause a real "lock".

> I opened port 67 in the firewall and that didn't work.

Normal Linux computers come without a firewall configured, so there
should be no blocking.

> I also tried this :
>
> $IPTABLES  -I INPUT -i $LAN_IFACE -p udp --dport 67:68 --sport 67:68 -j
> ACCEPT
>
> But it comes back -I command not found.

That means $IPTABLES is empty.

iptables -I INPUT -i enp6s0 -p udp --dport 67:68 --sport 67:68 -j ACCEPT

Would do the trick.

> Any Ideas?

Well I don't know what locking up means.

This is also locked up from the console?

Try

ip link set dev enp6s0 up


> If you don't stand behind our troops,
> feel free to stand in front of them.

That is advisable behaviour when they are still at home so they don't go
to war.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dhclient sending request to port 67 locking system up

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Scott Blair
On 6 November 2017 at 17:24, Scott Blair <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have been getting the following errors in my syslog file and it is causing
> my system to hard lock.
>
>
> dhclient[1300]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0 to 192.168.0.1 port
> 67 (xid=0x7a4f385)
>
> dhclient[1300]: send_packet: Operation not permitted

I don't think those messages are causing a lock (assuming you mean a
complete computer lockup), they may be a symptom of some underlying
problem. Give us some more detail on the symptoms and the history of
the system (just installed, used to work and suddenly started failing,
etc).

Colin

>
> dhclient[1300]: dhclient.c:2386: Failed to send 300 byte long packet over
> fallback interface.
>
> dhclient[1300]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0 to 192.168.0.1 port
> 67 (xid=0x7a4f385)
>
> dhclient[1300]: send_packet: Operation not permitted
>
>
> I opened port 67 in the firewall and that didn't work.
>
> I also tried this :
>
> $IPTABLES  -I INPUT -i $LAN_IFACE -p udp --dport 67:68 --sport 67:68 -j
> ACCEPT
>
>
>
> But it comes back -I command not found.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Blair
>
> USMC Defending your freedoms since 10 November 1775
>
> Save on backup time "BackupDevice=Null"
>
> If you don't stand behind our troops,
> feel free to stand in front of them.
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dhclient sending request to port 67 locking system up

Colin Law
Forwarding this to the list so others can comment

Colin

On 7 November 2017 at 17:35, Scott Blair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/07/2017 10:54 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 6 November 2017 at 17:24, Scott Blair <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have been getting the following errors in my syslog file and it is
>>> causing
>>> my system to hard lock.
>>>
>>>
>>> dhclient[1300]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0 to 192.168.0.1
>>> port
>>> 67 (xid=0x7a4f385)
>>>
>>> dhclient[1300]: send_packet: Operation not permitted
>>
>> I don't think those messages are causing a lock (assuming you mean a
>> complete computer lockup),
>
> By hard lockup, I mean that the keyboard and mouse don't work. The caps lock
> key nor the num lock key doesn't work.
>
>>   they may be a symptom of some underlying
>> problem. Give us some more detail on the symptoms and the history of
>> the system (just installed, used to work and suddenly started failing,
>> etc).
>
> New system about 3 months old. AMD FX-8300 CPU, 16 gigs DDR3 ram, Dual AMD
> Radeon R7 360 crossfired.
> Ubuntu 16.04 on a separate 1TB drive from Windows 10. It has locked up twice
> in the past with different entries in the syslog, but I was able to fix
> those problems.
> This error has happened about 5 times now.
> The above error is repeated for a good 22 minutes.
> Here is the the beginning of it starting in the syslog:
>
> Nov  6 21:22:22 main dhclient[1370]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0
> to 192.168.0.1 port 67 (xid=0x627803b)
> Nov  6 21:22:22 main dhclient[1370]: send_packet: Operation not permitted
> Nov  6 21:22:22 main dhclient[1370]: dhclient.c:2386: Failed to send 300
> byte long packet over fallback interface.
> Nov  6 21:22:24 main kernel: [34558.157819] [UFW BLOCK] IN=enp6s0 OUT=
> MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:01:14:cc:20:0c:91:76:08:00 SRC=192.168.0.1 DST=224.0.0.1
> LEN=32 TOS=0x00 PREC=0xC0 TTL=1 ID=0 DF PROTO=2
> Nov  6 21:22:30 main kernel: [34564.134253] [UFW BLOCK] IN=enp6s0 OUT=
> MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:fb:40:b4:cd:b1:5b:9f:08:00 SRC=192.168.0.101
> DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=32 TOS=0x00 PREC=0xC0 TTL=1 ID=0 DF PROTO=2
> Nov  6 21:22:34 main dhclient[1370]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0
> to 192.168.0.1 port 67 (xid=0x627803b)
> Nov  6 21:22:34 main dhclient[1370]: send_packet: Operation not permittedNov
> 6 21:22:22 main dhclient[1370]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0 to
> 192.168.0.1 port 67 (xid=0x627803b)
> Nov  6 21:22:22 main dhclient[1370]: send_packet: Operation not permitted
> Nov  6 21:22:22 main dhclient[1370]: dhclient.c:2386: Failed to send 300
> byte long packet over fallback interface.
> Nov  6 21:22:24 main kernel: [34558.157819] [UFW BLOCK] IN=enp6s0 OUT=
> MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:01:14:cc:20:0c:91:76:08:00 SRC=192.168.0.1 DST=224.0.0.1
> LEN=32 TOS=0x00 PREC=0xC0 TTL=1 ID=0 DF PROTO=2
> Nov  6 21:22:30 main kernel: [34564.134253] [UFW BLOCK] IN=enp6s0 OUT=
> MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:fb:40:b4:cd:b1:5b:9f:08:00 SRC=192.168.0.101
> DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=32 TOS=0x00 PREC=0xC0 TTL=1 ID=0 DF PROTO=2
> Nov  6 21:22:34 main dhclient[1370]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0
> to 192.168.0.1 port 67 (xid=0x627803b)
> Nov  6 21:22:34 main dhclient[1370]: send_packet: Operation not permitted
>
>
> Here is the last output in the syslog:
>
> Nov  6 21:43:44 main dhclient[1370]: dhclient.c:2386: Failed to send 300
> byte long packet over fallback interface.
> Nov  6 21:43:55 main dhclient[1370]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0
> to 192.168.0.1 port 67 (xid=0x627803b)
> Nov  6 21:43:55 main dhclient[1370]: send_packet: Operation not permitted
> Nov  6 21:43:55 main dhclient[1370]: dhclient.c:2386: Failed to send 300
> byte long packet over fallback interface.
> Nov  6 21:44:05 main dhclient[1370]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0
> to 192.168.0.1 port 67 (xid=0x627803b)
> Nov  6 21:44:05 main dhclient[1370]: send_packet: Operation not permitted
> Nov  6 21:44:05 main dhclient[1370]: dhclient.c:2386: Failed to send 300
> byte long packet over fallback interface.
> Nov  6 21:44:16 main dhclient[1370]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0
> to 192.168.0.1 port 67 (xid=0x627803b)
> Nov  6 21:44:16 main dhclient[1370]: send_packet: Operation not permitted
> Nov  6 21:44:16 main dhclient[1370]: dhclient.c:2386: Failed to send 300
> byte long packet over fallback interface.
> Nov  6 21:44:36 main dhclient[1370]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0
> to 192.168.0.1 port 67 (xid=0x627803b)
> Nov  6 21:44:36 main dhclient[1370]: send_packet: Operation not permitted
> Nov  6 21:44:36 main dhclient[1370]: dhclient.c:2386: Failed to send 300
> byte long packet over fallback interface.
> \00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00\00
>
>
>
>>
>> Colin
>>
>>> dhclient[1300]: dhclient.c:2386: Failed to send 300 byte long packet over
>>> fallback interface.
>>>
>>> dhclient[1300]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.108 on enp6s0 to 192.168.0.1
>>> port
>>> 67 (xid=0x7a4f385)
>>>
>>> dhclient[1300]: send_packet: Operation not permitted
>>>
>>>
>>> I opened port 67 in the firewall and that didn't work.
>>>
>>> I also tried this :
>>>
>>> $IPTABLES  -I INPUT -i $LAN_IFACE -p udp --dport 67:68 --sport 67:68 -j
>>> ACCEPT
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> But it comes back -I command not found.
>>>
>>> Any Ideas?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Scott Blair
>>>
>>> USMC Defending your freedoms since 10 November 1775
>>>
>>> Save on backup time "BackupDevice=Null"
>>>
>>> If you don't stand behind our troops,
>>> feel free to stand in front of them.
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> ubuntu-users mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>>>
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Blair
>
> USMC Defending your freedoms since 10 November 1775
>
> Save on backup time "BackupDevice=Null"
>
> If you don't stand behind our troops,
> feel free to stand in front of them.
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dhclient sending request to port 67 locking system up

Ken D'Ambrosio
>> Nov  6 21:43:55 main dhclient[1370]: send_packet: Operation not
>> permitted
>> Nov  6 21:43:55 main dhclient[1370]: dhclient.c:2386: Failed to send
>> 300
>> byte long packet over fallback interface.

Unfortunately, my logs seem to have scrolled (or it didn't go into
them), but I'm pretty sure this is the same error I got when I tried to
get a DHCP lease when I plugged my phone into my Raspberry Pi during a
cable outage.  It turned out that the USB interface generated when I
plugged my phone in was getting a MAC address of 0:0:0:0:0:0 -- not
terribly helpful.  I assigned a Completely Random(tm) address thusly:
ifconfig <interface name> hw ether 12:34:56:78:9a:bc
tried dhclient again, and it worked like a charm.  So I would
recommending taking a look at the output of "ifconfig <interfacename>",
and seeing if anything's wonky with your MAC.

-Ken

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dhclient sending request to port 67 locking system up

Scott Blair
On 11/07/2017 01:58 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
Nov  6 21:43:55 main dhclient[1370]: send_packet: Operation not permitted
Nov  6 21:43:55 main dhclient[1370]: dhclient.c:2386: Failed to send 300
byte long packet over fallback interface.

Unfortunately, my logs seem to have scrolled (or it didn't go into them), but I'm pretty sure this is the same error I got when I tried to get a DHCP lease when I plugged my phone into my Raspberry Pi during a cable outage.  It turned out that the USB interface generated when I plugged my phone in was getting a MAC address of 0:0:0:0:0:0 -- not terribly helpful.  I assigned a Completely Random(tm) address thusly:
ifconfig <interface name> hw ether 12:34:56:78:9a:bc
tried dhclient again, and it worked like a charm.  So I would recommending taking a look at the output of "ifconfig <interfacename>", and seeing if anything's wonky with your MAC.

-Ken

Well this is interesting. ifconfig shows everything normal. I tried to access my router to see if the MAC address was the same. It timed out. I tried to ping the router and it came back Operation not permitted.

I started looking through my notes on this system and saw that I had enabled VPN killswitch about the same time I started getting the error messages. I deactivated the killswitch and now can access the router and ping it.

So for now I think the problem is solved. Thanks Ken for pointing me in the right direction.



Thanks,

Scott Blair

USMC Defending your freedoms since 10 November 1775

Save on backup time "BackupDevice=Null"

If you don't stand behind our troops,
feel free to stand in front of them.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users