disappearing bottom panel

Eric Jackson-5
I've had this problem for awhile and it has persisted through several
different versions or updates of KDE. I am using 10.4.

The problem is that the whole panel that runs across the bottom of the
screen just disppears. Not only that, if I have a program open, the
Maximize, Minimize and close buttons also disappear. If I choose the
option to Restore The Default Panel, the panel shows up on the top of
the screen and often it's not exactly the same as was when it was on the
bottom. The only way to get things back to normal is to log out and then
to log in.

I've been using Ubuntu because of the problem. When I notice there have
been KDE updates, I try again to use KDE. I tried yesterday and again
the same thing happened

Re: disappearing bottom panel

Waleed Hamra
On 12/09/2010 03:38 PM, eric jackson wrote:

> I've had this problem for awhile and it has persisted through several
> different versions or updates of KDE. I am using 10.4.
>
> The problem is that the whole panel that runs across the bottom of the
> screen just disppears. Not only that, if I have a program open, the
> Maximize, Minimize and close buttons also disappear. If I choose the
> option to Restore The Default Panel, the panel shows up on the top of
> the screen and often it's not exactly the same as was when it was on the
> bottom. The only way to get things back to normal is to log out and then
> to log in.
>
> I've been using Ubuntu because of the problem. When I notice there have
> been KDE updates, I try again to use KDE. I tried yesterday and again
> the same thing happened

sounds like a kwin problem to me. when the top bar containing maximize
and minimize disappear, this means kwin is no longer running. but kwin
in 10.04 is very stable and not supposed to be crashing so often, this
generally is an indication that there might be some stressful program
running. not sure if display drivers have any effect here.
but to rule out that it is kwin, next time this happens, can you please
press ALT+F2, and in the run dialog, type kwin. and see if things go
back to normal.