discussions about intel gpu

Muhamad Moghadam
Hi Everybody,I have a pc with intel gpu and run it on fedora, but intel gpu
will be hang with fedora kernel ( 5.7 or more ). If I install ubuntu, will my problem be
solved?
have you had problems on Ubuntu with intel gpu?

--
مجله کامیون سلطان جاده
Persian Trucking Mag

Re: discussions about intel gpu

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 12:03:38 +0330, Muhamad Moghadam wrote:
>Hi Everybody,I have a pc with intel gpu and run it on fedora, but
>intel gpu will be hang with fedora kernel ( 5.7 or more ). If I
>install ubuntu, will my problem be
>solved?
>
>have you had problems on Ubuntu with intel gpu?

Hi,

all the replies you got by the Arch general mailing list apply to
Ubuntu flavours, Arch Linux, Fedora and any other distro, too.

We don't know, test it!

OTOH the known kernel version Intel GPU issues unlikely go away when
migrating to another distro. If one distro should fix it, the patches
likely would get applied by upstream, too.

You could test without installing, burn the Ubuntu flavour live ISO to a
DVD or even use the ISO by an USB stick with persistence (
https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html ).

Regards,
Ralf

Re: discussions about intel gpu

ubuntu-users mailing list
PS:

I'm using an affected Intel GPU, too. There are no issues when using
Ubuntu flavours 16.04 LTS releases.

End of Standard Support April 2021, End of Life April 2024,
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases .

The kernel is a 4.x, not a 5.x kernel, as of today linux-generic
4.4.0.200.206,
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/linux-generic .

I'm using linux-lowlatency, the latest version used by me:
[root@archlinux rocketmouse]# systemd-nspawn -D /mnt/moonstudio 2>/dev/null dpkg -l linux-lowlatency | grep ii
ii  linux-lowlaten 4.4.0.198.20 amd64        Complete lowlatency Linux kernel

I expect that the today upgrade to linux-lowlatency 4.4.0.200.206
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/linux-lowlatency to work,
too.

Re: discussions about intel gpu

ubuntu-users mailing list
PPS:

I forgot to point out, that IIUC while Ubuntu flavours still provide
the "intel" as well as the "modesetting" driver, by default, without a
xorg.conf at all, for GPUs as ours, it automatically does chose the
"modesetting" driver, so in the first place you should get rid of GPU
issues. Some software might require a workaround that seemingly works
for many users, e.g. running "google-chrome-stable --dissable-gpu", to
get rid of issues. It didn't work for me during my Arch Linux test.
However, you could test an Ubuntu 20.10 flavour, that comes with linux
5.8.x, if you need more recent software. Maybe it works for you.

You also could stay with your distro or install any other distro and
without starting X, compile a LTS kernel < 5, maybe even 5.4 still
works, https://www.kernel.org/, so you can use recent software
versions provided for a distro release by packages, just not the kernel
packages, with latest kernel releases > 4 or maybe > 5.4, I don't
remember at what kernel version those issues started.

Testing an Ubuntu flavour without installing it, by using a live
session, does only require a DVD, USB stick or probably a SD.

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 09:35, Muhamad Moghadam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everybody,I have a pc with intel gpu and run it on fedora, but intel gpu
> will be hang with fedora kernel ( 5.7 or more ). If I install ubuntu, will my problem be
> solved?
>
> have you had problems on Ubuntu with intel gpu?

You have not provided enough information for us to even guess.

What PC? Make & exact model.
What GPU? What screen? Connected how? Have you tried other displays or
connections?
Are you using X.org or Wayland?

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 17:04:39 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 09:35, Muhamad Moghadam <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>> Hi Everybody,I have a pc with intel gpu and run it on fedora, but
>> intel gpu will be hang with fedora kernel ( 5.7 or more ). If I
>> install ubuntu, will my problem be solved?
>>
>> have you had problems on Ubuntu with intel gpu?
>
>You have not provided enough information for us to even guess.

Hi,

it's enough information to guess. Kernel version + Intel GPU allow to
guess, that it's related to a well known regression. However, even with
way more information at hand, it's unlikely possible to answer the
question, whether or not installing an Ubuntu flavour does solve the
issue.

"So as always: There's no guarantee, you're only going to find it out
by trying it yourself." - [arch-general] intel gpu hang
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2021-January/048464.html

Regards,
Ralf

Re: discussions about intel gpu

Doug McGarrett

On 1/16/21 2:46 AM, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 17:04:39 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 09:35, Muhamad Moghadam <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi Everybody,I have a pc with intel gpu and run it on fedora, but
>>> intel gpu will be hang with fedora kernel ( 5.7 or more ). If I
>>> install ubuntu, will my problem be solved?
>>>
>>> have you had problems on Ubuntu with intel gpu?
>> You have not provided enough information for us to even guess.
> Hi,
>
> it's enough information to guess. Kernel version + Intel GPU allow to
> guess, that it's related to a well known regression. However, even with
> way more information at hand, it's unlikely possible to answer the
> question, whether or not installing an Ubuntu flavour does solve the
> issue.
>
> "So as always: There's no guarantee, you're only going to find it out
> by trying it yourself." - [arch-general] intel gpu hang
> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2021-January/048464.html
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

I have a computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, socket 775, 2GHz (capacity
4GHz( 64 bits width, clock 333 MHz,
all this from LSHW, and I had OpenSUSE Leap on it, dated (roughly)
September 2020. I now have Mageia on
it, dated (roughly) November 2020, and it runs too. So perhaps you
should try one of these, so you can
keep an rpm-based system. (I find I don't particularly like Mageia--it
is a too restrictive, Mama knows best
kind of distro.) But that is a secondary computer; I run OpenSUSE
Tumbleweed on my main machine which
is much more modern. So perhaps try one of the OpenSUSE versions. What
the heck--downloads are free,
and it will only take 45 minutes or so to know if one will run, so try
one of these before going into deb country.
--doug