double left click on text (xterm and elsewhere) questions

double left click on text (xterm and elsewhere) questions

Robert Heller
OK, I have moved from using CentOS (4,5,6) to Ubuntu 18.04 and have things
*mostly* behaving the way I want.  There is still one *anoying* difference:
the way text selection works.  When I was running CentOS, double left click on
any text area (xterms, Firefox, etc.) it highlighted/selected a "word",
defined as a solid block of alphanums, with a *few* other charactors
(underscore, and maybe a few others).  Under Ubuntu it seems to have a broader
definiation of "word".  Where is this defined?  What is different with Ubuntu
from CentOS?

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364

Re: double left click on text (xterm and elsewhere) questions

Chris Green
On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 04:33:53PM -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
> OK, I have moved from using CentOS (4,5,6) to Ubuntu 18.04 and have things
> *mostly* behaving the way I want.  There is still one *anoying* difference:
> the way text selection works.  When I was running CentOS, double left click on
> any text area (xterms, Firefox, etc.) it highlighted/selected a "word",
> defined as a solid block of alphanums, with a *few* other charactors
> (underscore, and maybe a few others).  Under Ubuntu it seems to have a broader
> definiation of "word".  Where is this defined?  What is different with Ubuntu
> from CentOS?

For terminal windows it's in the terminal preferences I think.  It
*is* in terminal preferences on xubuntu but I'm not quite sure if it's
the same in Ubuntu.

--
Chris Green

Re: double left click on text (xterm and elsewhere) questions

Colin Law
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 at 21:35, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, I have moved from using CentOS (4,5,6) to Ubuntu 18.04 and have things
> *mostly* behaving the way I want.  There is still one *anoying* difference:
> the way text selection works.  When I was running CentOS, double left click on
> any text area (xterms, Firefox, etc.) it highlighted/selected a "word",
> defined as a solid block of alphanums, with a *few* other charactors
> (underscore, and maybe a few others).  Under Ubuntu it seems to have a broader
> definiation of "word".

Can you give an example of what you mean?

Colin

Re: double left click on text (xterm and elsewhere) questions

Loïc Grenié

On Thu 17 Dec 2020 at 22:35, Robert Heller wrote:
OK, I have moved from using CentOS (4,5,6) to Ubuntu 18.04 and have things
*mostly* behaving the way I want.  There is still one *anoying* difference:
the way text selection works.  When I was running CentOS, double left click on
any text area (xterms, Firefox, etc.) it highlighted/selected a "word",
defined as a solid block of alphanums, with a *few* other charactors
(underscore, and maybe a few others).  Under Ubuntu it seems to have a broader
definiation of "word".  Where is this defined?  What is different with Ubuntu
from CentOS?

     You should look at CharClass default, it may work to change it in your
  .Xdefault file or in some system-wide configuration file as
  /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm (you can find an example for charClass in
  the file).

          Loïc

At Fri, 18 Dec 2020 16:38:03 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu 17 Dec 2020 at 22:35, Robert Heller wrote:
>
> > OK, I have moved from using CentOS (4,5,6) to Ubuntu 18.04 and have things
> > *mostly* behaving the way I want.  There is still one *anoying*
> > difference:
> > the way text selection works.  When I was running CentOS, double left
> > click on
> > any text area (xterms, Firefox, etc.) it highlighted/selected a "word",
> > defined as a solid block of alphanums, with a *few* other charactors
> > (underscore, and maybe a few others).  Under Ubuntu it seems to have a
> > broader
> > definiation of "word".  Where is this defined?  What is different with
> > Ubuntu
> > from CentOS?
> >

>      You should look at CharClass default, it may work to change it in your
>   .Xdefault file or in some system-wide configuration file as
>   /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm (you can find an example for charClass in
>   the file).
Hmmm... I have already found something interesting: my CentOS root file system
lacks a /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm file and the Ubuntu one contains such a
file, and contains a CharClass setting with a comment about double-clicking on
a URL...  I'm guessing xterm's compiled in default is probably what I want (it
is probably what I am used to from when I first used XTerms under DECWindows
way back when).

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364