dvd writing problems

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

dvd writing problems

David-99
I've got a file which is 2.7gb

I've never been able to write it using Gnomebaker because for some reason
that particular file never appears in Gnomebaker's file list. I've checked
permissions etc, but the only difference between this and other files
appears to be its size.

Is there a problem writing DVD with Gnomebaker?

In the meantime, I'm using X-CD-Roast.

David

My apologies if this has been covered... .i've googled but can't find
anything.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dvd writing problems

Anders Karlsson-2
Hi there,

On 11/6/05, David <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've got a file which is 2.7gb

Should fit on the disc then ;)

> I've never been able to write it using Gnomebaker because for some reason
> that particular file never appears in Gnomebaker's file list. I've checked
> permissions etc, but the only difference between this and other files
> appears to be its size.

I am guessing as I do not know for sure, but GnomeBaker could have
some internal limit at 'signed int' size, limiting it to 2GB filesize.
You could try creating a sparse file that is just under 2GB in size
(2*1024^2 minus 4k) and see if GnomeBaker picks it up. If I get time
in the week, I can have a play and see if I can find out what is
happening.

> Is there a problem writing DVD with Gnomebaker?

I have had problems with it, but I am just starting to play with DVD's
at the moment (see my Packet Writing post)

> In the meantime, I'm using X-CD-Roast.
>
> David
>
> My apologies if this has been covered... .i've googled but can't find
> anything.
>

Good luck,

--
Anders Karlsson <[hidden email]>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dvd writing problems

David-99
On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 10:42:25PM +0000, Anders Karlsson wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> On 11/6/05, David <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am guessing as I do not know for sure, but GnomeBaker could have
> some internal limit at 'signed int' size, limiting it to 2GB filesize.
> You could try creating a sparse file that is just under 2GB in size
> (2*1024^2 minus 4k) and see if GnomeBaker picks it up. If I get time
> in the week, I can have a play and see if I can find out what is
> happening.

I have a feeling there is a size limit of one gig... not sure. On
X-CD-Roast (which I've been using for years to burn CD's), you have to
insert a key (actually an environmental variable) which is some form of
licence if you want to write files to DVD which are bigger than one gig.
You also need a driver(?), both supplied at the site given below. If you
do that, it works fine. The key expires periodically and has to be
renewed. The old key expired about a week ago, and i've just updated to
the new (free) one. You can see about it at:

ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/

In X-CD-Roast, there is a setup function to insert this key. On Hoary the
driver goes into /usr/lib/xcdroast/bin/cdrecord.prodvd

I'm not sure how/if this applies to Gnomebaker. Gnomebaker seems to ignore
files bigger than one gig, unless I'm missing some other property of my
big file.

It's all fun :)

David.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dvd writing problems

Greg Madden
In reply to this post by David-99
On Sunday 06 November 2005 13:30, David wrote:

> I've got a file which is 2.7gb
>
> I've never been able to write it using Gnomebaker because for some reason
> that particular file never appears in Gnomebaker's file list. I've checked
> permissions etc, but the only difference between this and other files
> appears to be its size.
>
> Is there a problem writing DVD with Gnomebaker?
>
> In the meantime, I'm using X-CD-Roast.
>
> David
>
> My apologies if this has been covered... .i've googled but can't find
> anything.

I am not familiar  with Gnomebaker, it could be a front end for 'dvd+rw-tools'
dvd+rw-tools is 'the' tool for writing dvd's, use it from the command line or
find a gui front end for it. I use K3B , a QT app and I use it from the
command line akso, no problems with 4.7gb files. X-CD-Roast and the pro-dvd
stuff isn't necessary..
--
Greg Madden

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users