emacs/ibus

Sean Sieger
Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction to configure Ubuntu 17.10,
Ibus and Emacs, please?

Sean

Re: emacs/ibus

Peter Flynn
On 22/11/17 20:03, Sean Sieger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to configure Ubuntu 17.10,
> Ibus and Emacs, please?

I can see what Ibus *is* but I don't understand what it is supposed to
*do*. I just use a keyboard.

Emacs is nothing if not configurable, so I assume someone, somewhere
will write an ibus-mode at some stage. Look in repositories like marmelade.

///Peter

2017/11/23 8:55 "Peter Flynn" <[hidden email]>:

> On 22/11/17 20:03, Sean Sieger wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction to configure Ubuntu 17.10,
>> Ibus and Emacs, please?
>

> I can see what Ibus *is* but I don't understand what it is supposed to *do*. I just use a keyboard.

ibus is one of the ways to hook together the pieces that allow you to type in languages for which 100+ keys is not enough -- Japanese is one such language.

> Emacs is nothing if not configurable, so I assume someone, somewhere will write an ibus-mode at some stage. Look in repositories like marmelade.

Has written.

> ///Peter

Re: emacs/ibus

Stuart McGraw
On 11/22/2017 07:53 PM, Joel Rees wrote:

> 2017/11/23 8:55 "Peter Flynn" <[hidden email]>:
>> On 22/11/17 20:03, Sean Sieger wrote:
>>> Can anyone point me in the right direction to configure Ubuntu 17.10,
>>> Ibus and Emacs, please?
>>
>> I can see what Ibus *is* but I don't understand what it is supposed to
> *do*. I just use a keyboard.
>
> ibus is one of the ways to hook together the pieces that allow you to type
> in languages for which 100+ keys is not enough -- Japanese is one such
> language.
>
>> Emacs is nothing if not configurable, so I assume someone, somewhere will
> write an ibus-mode at some stage. Look in repositories like marmelade.
>
> Has written.

I would truly love to know how to get emacs to work with ibus and if
anyone knows how I beg you to post here.

For me they stopped working together on Fedora several years ago and
my questions at the time went unanswered,  From what I recall there
was some incompatibility between the two with developers on each side
claiming the other was at fault.  (Disclaimer: I sometimes remember
things that didn't happen so the above may be totally off.)

I am disappointed (but not surprised) that the situation still seems
to exist in Ubuntu -- it was one of the things I held some faint hope
that might be fixed by switching OSes.

I have a lot of Japanese notes in emacs org-mode files and not having
a good replacement for org-mode, cant really move away from emacs.
I've resorted to typing Japanese stuff in xfce's mousepad and pasting
into emacs which is pretty lame.