evolution-remote?

ulrich steffens
hi list,
i'll have some question about evolution.
i just installed mail-notify which adds a nice little icon in systray if
new mail arrives. this is neat :)
it also has the option to configure actions when doubleclicking the
icon. i would love to use this to get the focus on the evolution-window.
but so far i had no luck. so, is there something like a remote command
that tells evolution not to open another instance of the program but
just raise the one that's already running?
can this be done, or do i need to fiddle around with metacity?

thanks in advance

 - ulrich

Re: evolution-remote?

David Hart-3
On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 17:00 +0100, ulrich steffens wrote:
> hi list,
> i'll have some question about evolution.
> i just installed mail-notify which adds a nice little icon in systray if
> new mail arrives. this is neat :)

Where do you find mail-notify?

--
David Hart <[hidden email]>

Re: evolution-remote?

ulrich steffens
Am Freitag, den 11.11.2005, 17:06 +0000 schrieb David Hart:

> On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 17:00 +0100, ulrich steffens wrote:
> > hi list,
> > i'll have some question about evolution.
> > i just installed mail-notify which adds a nice little icon in systray if
> > new mail arrives. this is neat :)
>
> Where do you find mail-notify?
>
> --
> David Hart <[hidden email]>

hi david,
you find it at http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/

but beware, it has some quirks...
to use it with evolution you need to 'apt-get source evolution' and a
bunch of dev-libs. and apply all patches that you can find on the
homepage, it saves you some bang-that-head-against-the-desk-lessons :)

have fun

ulrich

Re: evolution-remote?

Nicolas Chevreux
Hello,

ulrich steffens wrote in an email dated 11-Nov-05 19:23:
> you find it at http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/

Wouldn't "mail-notification" (or is it "mail notification"?) do exactly
what you are looking for? It is a small app available through Synaptic
(don't remember which repository, though).

Nicolas

Re: evolution-remote?

ulrich steffens
Am Freitag, den 11.11.2005, 19:58 +0100 schrieb Nicolas Chevreux:

> Hello,
>
> ulrich steffens wrote in an email dated 11-Nov-05 19:23:
> > you find it at http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/
>
> Wouldn't "mail-notification" (or is it "mail notification"?) do exactly
> what you are looking for? It is a small app available through Synaptic
> (don't remember which repository, though).
>
> Nicolas

hi nicolas,
well this is exactly the same app :)
though the version i use is version 2.0 where the version in ubuntu is
1.1-3ubuntu-2. version 2.0 can work as a plugin for evolution, so you
dont check a mailbox somewhere on a server but evolution
checks/downloads the mail and mail-notify shows a neat icon if theres
new mail, gives a nice preview of the mails, etc..
the only thing i cannot figure out is the way to tell evolution it
should get focus. and if evolution is minimized, it should appear like
if you click on the taskbar to bring/get it on top.

sorry if my english sucks ;)

ulrich

Re: evolution-remote?

David Hart-3
On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 19:23 +0100, ulrich steffens wrote:
> hi david,
> you find it at http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/
>
> but beware, it has some quirks...
> to use it with evolution you need to 'apt-get source evolution' and a
> bunch of dev-libs. and apply all patches that you can find on the
> homepage, it saves you some
> bang-that-head-against-the-desk-lessons :)

Ahhh! _that_ mail notification programme :)  I was using the version
from Breezy but unfortunately, it's had SSL disabled which I need for a
couple of mail boxes.  So I've just done as you have and built version 2
from source.  It works much better with evolution too ;)

--
David Hart <[hidden email]>