evolution

Norman Silverstone-2
My wife, who is using Ubuntu 12.04, would like to make a backup of her
address book and emails in Evolution prior to setting up a new PC. What
is the best way to do this, please? She does not require anything else
backed up and she has copies of all her text files on a memory stick.

Thanks in advance

Norman

Re: evolution

mh-dixon
I don't use Evolution, but I foune the following whuch might help -
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/backup-restore.html.en
Martin

My wife, who is using Ubuntu 12.04, would like to make a backup of her address book and emails in Evolution prior to setting up a new PC. What is the best way to do this, please? She does not require anything else backed up and she has copies of all her text files on a memory stick.

Thanks in advance

Norman

-- [hidden email]
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/

Re: evolution

surfer
Dear Norman

I am not a maestro, but you can use the back up facility, which will
save everything on Evolution. The format of the files are mbox, which
means they are not readable by a text editor.

I would only give you duff a explanation so do read the help pages and
you can see the backup and restore items in the File menu item.

Regards

Patrick Mulvey

On Sun, 2013-09-01 at 11:09 +0100, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> My wife, who is using Ubuntu 12.04, would like to make a backup of her
> address book and emails in Evolution prior to setting up a new PC. What
> is the best way to do this, please? She does not require anything else
> backed up and she has copies of all her text files on a memory stick.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Norman

Re: evolution

On 1 September 2013 11:56, MARTIN DIXON <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't use Evolution, but I foune the following whuch might help -
> https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/backup-restore.html.en

Please bottom-quote on the list. Your reply should go *under* the text
to which you're replying.

The same goes to everyone else in this thread. Do not top-quote.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: evolution

Norman Silverstone-2
On 01/09/13 14:32, surfer wrote:

> Dear Norman
>
> I am not a maestro, but you can use the back up facility, which will
> save everything on Evolution. The format of the files are mbox, which
> means they are not readable by a text editor.
>
> I would only give you duff a explanation so do read the help pages and
> you can see the backup and restore items in the File menu item.
>
> Regards
>
> Patrick Mulvey
>
> On Sun, 2013-09-01 at 11:09 +0100, Norman Silverstone wrote:
>> My wife, who is using Ubuntu 12.04, would like to make a backup of her
>> address book and emails in Evolution prior to setting up a new PC. What
>> is the best way to do this, please? She does not require anything else
>> backed up and she has copies of all her text files on a memory stick.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Norman

Thank you for your replies - persuaded the wife to try it and it worked
to her satisfaction.

Norman

Re: evolution

Gordon Burgess-Parker-2
I think you'll find that mbox files ARE readable in a text editor - because that's what mbox files are. Text files.

Sent from my Kindle

surfer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Dear Norman
>
>I am not a maestro, but you can use the back up facility, which will
>save everything on Evolution. The format of the files are mbox, which
>means they are not readable by a text editor.
>
>I would only give you duff a explanation so do read the help pages and
>you can see the backup and restore items in the File menu item.
>
>Regards
>
>Patrick Mulvey
>
>On Sun, 2013-09-01 at 11:09 +0100, Norman Silverstone wrote:
>> My wife, who is using Ubuntu 12.04, would like to make a backup of her
>> address book and emails in Evolution prior to setting up a new PC. What
>> is the best way to do this, please? She does not require anything else
>> backed up and she has copies of all her text files on a memory stick.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Norman
>>

>--
>[hidden email]

Re: evolution

Stuart Ward

On 1 September 2013 11:09, Norman Silverstone <[hidden email]> wrote:
My wife, who is using Ubuntu 12.04, would like to make a backup of her address book and emails in Evolution prior to setting up a new PC. What is the best way to do this, please? She does not require anything else backed up and she has copies of all her text files on a memory stick.

Perhaps an alternative would be to sync with a Google account, see:
http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/8226-how-to-sync-evolution-with-googles-pim-apps

-- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143