exclude certain files from fdupes output

exclude certain files from fdupes output

Curt
I need to run fdupes on a large number of audio files, 3+ TB, in two
or three subdirectories and would like to exclude all files that are
jpeg, jpg, png, txt, pdf etc. - essentially any file that is not an
audio file.
Fdupes output needs to be a file I can open in a spread sheet for
comparison.

Is there a simple way to do this easily and/or quickly?

Re: exclude certain files from fdupes output

Randy Williamson

On Feb 14, 2015 9:35 AM, "Curt Tresenriter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need to run fdupes on a large number of audio files, 3+ TB, in two
> or three subdirectories and would like to exclude all files that are
> jpeg, jpg, png, txt, pdf etc. - essentially any file that is not an
> audio file.
> Fdupes output needs to be a file I can open in a spread sheet for
> comparison.
>
> Is there a simple way to do this easily and/or quickly?

Fdupes is for finding duplicate files. What you are asking for is to find a specific file type. Then you want to open the files in a spreadsheet.
I think you are going about the task wrong.
A bash script or a python script can locate all of the audio files collect them and do comparison. It's hard to give you specifics without more information.
I recommend writing down what you want to do one thing at a time, like you were programing the computer in plain English. Then start finding the syntax for your script.

Randy ac7nj

RE: exclude certain files from fdupes output

Istimsak Abdulbasir
Are you trying to collect the names of the audio files you have and read through them on a spread sheet?

Re: exclude certain files from fdupes output

Curt
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:58:13 -0500
Saqman2060 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you trying to collect the names of the audio files you have and
> read through them on a spread sheet?

Yes, but not all files just the duplicates.

Re: exclude certain files from fdupes output

Curt
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:28:02 -0800
Randy Williamson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fdupes is for finding duplicate files. What you are asking for is to
> find a specific file type. Then you want to open the files in a
> spreadsheet. I think you are going about the task wrong.
> A bash script or a python script can locate all of the audio files
> collect them and do comparison. It's hard to give you specifics
> without more information.
> I recommend writing down what you want to do one thing at a time,
> like you were programing the computer in plain English. Then start
> finding the syntax for your script.
>
> Randy ac7nj

I've been wanting to look into scripting but haven't found the time yet.

The answer I came up with was to run fdupes then used sed to remove all
lines containing jpeg, jpg, txt, png, etc. from the output file.
What I'm left with is only mp3. ogg, flac, m4a, etc.
Probably not the most elegant solution but it worked.

Thanks for your input.