exending a partition

n.roade
I have a 512gb SSD that has two partitions. The first holds my Mint
Linux OS and is about 150 gb, the second is just for my media
files and about 350gb and is full. I have a second SSD that I want to
use for Mint alone. Can I safely extend the media partition on the
512gb ssd to a single partition and not lose the media content on it?

tia

nepal.

Re: exending a partition

Liam Proven
On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 18:35, n.roade <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a 512gb SSD that has two partitions. The first holds my Mint
> Linux OS and is about 150 gb, the second is just for my media
> files and about 350gb and is full. I have a second SSD that I want to
> use for Mint alone. Can I safely extend the media partition on the
> 512gb ssd to a single partition and not lose the media content on it?

It depends how you do it. :-)

If you have 2 SSDs in 1 PC, normally, one would probably be /dev/sda
and one /dev/sdb.

If you arrange it so that the new drive is sda and the old one becomes
sdb, then you could just copy your root partition onto the new drive,
install a new bootloader, then change the mount point of the old
partition to its new location. So if before it was /dev/sda2 now it
would be /dev/sdb2, for example.

If you resize the partition with Gparted, the contents will be intact.
But a backup is always a good idea, of course.

Re: exending a partition

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 18:50:13 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>If you resize the partition with Gparted, the contents will be intact.

Hi,

I've done this a thousand times for ext4 as well as other file systems
and never lost data...

>But a backup is always a good idea, of course.

...however, data loss is possible, due to a power outage, cosmic rays
or a Cookie Monster that is angry, since dark forces compelled a dietary
change. You should have backups of your data on external HDDs, even if
you wouldn't resize a partition. The angry Cookie Monster is very
hungry, since dark forces with a sick world view decided to call
cookies evil food, so it needs to eat SSDs and other meals. Cookies
might be not the best food for children, but it's the most healthy food
for a Cookie Monster. Children do understand this, but seemingly a lot
of adults don't. Kidding aside, backups are that essential for important
data, as Cookies are for a Cookie Monster.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: exending a partition

সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার
Hi Tia
Peace be upon you.

বৃহস্পতি, ১০ অক্টোবর, ২০১৯ তারিখে ১০:৩৫ PM টায় এ n.roade <[hidden email]> লিখেছেন:
I have a 512gb SSD that has two partitions. The first holds my Mint
Linux OS and is about 150 gb, the second is just for my media
files and about 350gb and is full.

Ok. :)

I have a second SSD that I want to use for Mint alone.

You may just plug off the current 512GB SSD and plug in the Extra SSD and run computer and install Mint. Just this. :)

Can I safely extend the media partition on the 512gb ssd to a single partition and not lose the media content on it?

After install set your Extra SSD as boot device and then run mint from this one. Then resize the 512GB SSD with gparted like--
1. remove the mint partition and apply to free up space.
2. Check the 350GB partition to confirm data integrity.
3. Extend the 350GB to full available space and wait till it finishes.

Hope everything will be fine.
--
রিং/ring

স্বেচ্ছাসেবক/Volunteer
এফওএসএস বাংলাদেশ/FOSS Bangladesh

Re: exending a partition

Thankyou all for the response and guidance and also the bit of fun from
Ralf. :D

Now I can set about adding a new SSD and I do have a current backup
just in case.

nepal