extracting fonts from a .exe file

Stuart McGraw
I am trying to automate my installation of Ubuntu and ran into a
problem extracting some ttf fonts from a .exe file.

When I used the file-roller command in a terminal window it worked
fine and extracted the fonts without starting a GUI.  But when I
run it from a script with no X session active:

  $ file-roller -e . /usr/local/src/dist/ttf31e.exe
  Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
  ** (file-roller:32627): CRITICAL **: Failed to parse arguments: Cannot open display:

Is there some command line program available from the usual Ubuntu
repositories that will extract fonts from a .exe file?
Thanks as always...

Re: extracting fonts from a .exe file

Teresa e Junior
Em 23/12/2017 03:21, Stuart McGraw escreveu:

> I am trying to automate my installation of Ubuntu and ran into a
> problem extracting some ttf fonts from a .exe file.
>
> When I used the file-roller command in a terminal window it worked
> fine and extracted the fonts without starting a GUI.  But when I
> run it from a script with no X session active:
>
>    $ file-roller -e . /usr/local/src/dist/ttf31e.exe
>    Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
>    ** (file-roller:32627): CRITICAL **: Failed to parse arguments: Cannot open display:
>
> Is there some command line program available from the usual Ubuntu
> repositories that will extract fonts from a .exe file?
> Thanks as always...

If I'm not mistaken, EXE files are ZIP files, so `unzip
/usr/local/src/dist/ttf31e.exe` should work. It it doesn't, the command
`unar` can guess whichever format and extract it. `sudo apt install
unar` if you don't have it installed.

On 12/22/2017 10:51 PM, Teresa e Junior wrote:

> Em 23/12/2017 03:21, Stuart McGraw escreveu:
> [...]
>> Is there some command line program available from the usual Ubuntu
>> repositories that will extract fonts from a .exe file? Thanks as
>> always...
>
> If I'm not mistaken, EXE files are ZIP files, so `unzip
> /usr/local/src/dist/ttf31e.exe` should work. It it doesn't, the
> command `unar` can guess whichever format and extract it. `sudo apt
> install unar` if you don't have it installed.

By golly, you're right!  unzip worked fine.  Who would have thought?
Not me for sure :-)  THANK YOU!!

On 23 December 2017 at 06:51, Teresa e Junior <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, EXE files are ZIP files, so `unzip
> /usr/local/src/dist/ttf31e.exe` should work. It it doesn't, the command
> `unar` can guess whichever format and extract it. `sudo apt install unar` if
> you don't have it installed.

You are mistaken.

Exe files are _not_ zip files.

But some Exe files _contain_ zip files, and some unzip programs are
smart enough to skip the headers of an executable and search within it
for a compressed data payload.