fglrx driver hijacks colours

chris dunn-2
While completely happy with the ati driver for my Radeon 9200 card on
Breezy, I wanted to add TV out so thought the easiest route would be to
install the xorg-driver-fglrx from the repository.

Installation went well and the output to the TV is excellent.

However the colours (and contrast?) on my monitor have now migrated to a
pale wishy-washy shadow of their former colours. So weak that I can
barely see the apps on my desktop.

Has anybody else experienced this and is there a recognised solution?

Thanks.

Chris Dunn