freecad version

R C

freecad version

R C
Hello,

does anyone know what version of freecad "comes with"  Ubuntu 20.04 ?
(I mean the one that gets installed using  apt-get install freecad)

(I assume there is no option to install the newest version, I believe
0.19 ?)

thanks,

Ron

Re: freecad version

David Fletcher-5
On Tue, 2020-10-27 at 13:04 -0600, R C wrote:
> Hello,
>

> does anyone know what version of freecad "comes with"  Ubuntu 20.04
> ?

There's LibreCAD for 2D drafting. I used it some years ago for the home
server case design I made available here some weeks ago.

There's KiCAD for printed circuit design. I used that for the LED rear
foglamp panels for my 1990 Civic. Apparently CERN uses it extensively
and has made a lot of contributions.

Dave

Re: freecad version

Bret Busby-2
On 28/10/2020, R C <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> does anyone know what version of freecad "comes with"  Ubuntu 20.04 ?
> (I mean the one that gets installed using  apt-get install freecad)
>
> (I assume there is no option to install the newest version, I believe
> 0.19 ?)
>

> thanks,
>

> Ron

In 20.10, using synaptic to search for it (if you have 20.04, search
for freecad in synaptic - that will tell you the version number), the
version number is
0.18.4+dfsg2-5build1

I upgraded one computer from 20.04 to 20.10, and, the visible bugs
disappeared, so, I upgraded each of my systems (other than my primary
system, 16.04.x) to 20.10, and, the only bug that I have so far found
in 20.10, is the Thunderbird bug.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

R C

Re: freecad version

R C

I drive a Tahoe and two Jeeps,  would that work too?

On 10/27/20 1:15 PM, David Fletcher wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-10-27 at 13:04 -0600, R C wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> does anyone know what version of freecad "comes with"  Ubuntu 20.04
>> ?
> There's LibreCAD for 2D drafting. I used it some years ago for the home
> server case design I made available here some weeks ago.
>
> There's KiCAD for printed circuit design. I used that for the LED rear
> foglamp panels for my 1990 Civic. Apparently CERN uses it extensively
> and has made a lot of contributions.
>
> Dave

Re: freecad version

Robert Heller
At Tue, 27 Oct 2020 13:04:28 -0600 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> does anyone know what version of freecad "comes with"  Ubuntu 20.04 ?
> (I mean the one that gets installed using  apt-get install freecad)
>
> (I assume there is no option to install the newest version, I believe
> 0.19 ?)

I'm pretty sure the latest 'official' release of freecad is like 0.18.4.
0.19.* are all "beta" releases, so they probably are NOT going to be picked up
by distribution packagers.  If you want a newer version you will have to
either build from source yourself or use the self-contained install
executables.   Official development of freecad is somewhat "stalled". I think
there is some sort of effort to kick start the development process...

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364

Re: freecad version

David Fletcher-5
On Tue, 2020-10-27 at 13:22 -0600, R C wrote:

> I drive a Tahoe and two Jeeps,  would that work too?

No idea mate, I designed this because the rear fogs on the 4G Civic are
low down in the bumper. The water, salt and other crap thrown up by the
rear tyres appears to have ingressed into the fog lamp units and has
rotted the sockets and reflectors. One of the sockets, I can't even get
the bulb out of it! This board was designed to fit behind the original
lenses to keep the car looking original. The lamp unit behind the lens
is replaced with 10mm delrin which the LED board bolts onto and works
with the original rectangular metalwork behind the bumper and the
original fixing screws.

If you think it might be of use to you, you're welcome to the design.
The car has been MOT inspected several times with no comments about the
rear fogs.

OK, available CAD software for Ubuntu is relevant to this list but
applications for classic cars probably isn't! If you'd like to discuss
further please feel free to contact me off list.

Dave

R C

Re: freecad version

R C

On 10/27/20 1:37 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
At Tue, 27 Oct 2020 13:04:28 -0600 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" [hidden email] wrote:

Hello,

does anyone know what version of freecad "comes with"  Ubuntu 20.04 ?
(I mean the one that gets installed using  apt-get install freecad)

(I assume there is no option to install the newest version, I believe
0.19 ?)
I'm pretty sure the latest 'official' release of freecad is like 0.18.4.
0.19.* are all "beta" releases, so they probably are NOT going to be picked up
by distribution packagers.  If you want a newer version you will have to
either build from source yourself or use the self-contained install
executables.   Official development of freecad is somewhat "stalled". I think
there is some sort of effort to kick start the development process...

Oh really that stalled?   that'd be a bummer.

I'd rather install a binary, if there isn't a repo to install it from.  I have compiled my own stuff, heck even in the day where it was the only way to run linux/unix.

But still ..  nowadays I rather just do a straight forward install.

From what I hear, there is a 0.19 repo

thanks.

thanks,

Ron

Re: freecad version

Robert Heller
At Tue, 27 Oct 2020 13:54:56 -0600 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/27/20 1:37 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> > At Tue, 27 Oct 2020 13:04:28 -0600 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>

> >> does anyone know what version of freecad "comes with"  Ubuntu 20.04 ?ÂÂ
> >> (I mean the one that gets installed using  apt-get install freecad)
> >>
> >> (I assume there is no option to install the newest version, I believe
> >> 0.19 ?)
> > I'm pretty sure the latest 'official' release of freecad is like 0.18.4.
> > 0.19.* are all "beta" releases, so they probably are NOT going to be picked up
> > by distribution packagers.  If you want a newer version you will have to
> > either build from source yourself or use the self-contained install
> > executables.   Official development of freecad is somewhat "stalled". I think
> > there is some sort of effort to kick start the development process...
>

> Oh really that stalled?   that'd be a bummer.
Some sort of "change of ownership / change of management" sort of thing. Eg
changes in the control of the source code / sponsorship thing. Maybe
some new people picking things up. *I* don't know the full details, etc.  I
think there is something on the support forums about what is going on.

> I'd rather install a binary, if there isn't a repo to install it from.
> I have compiled my own stuff, heck even in the day where it was the only
> way to run linux/unix.

There is a single file download-and-run-thing (ready-to-run binary, in one
self-contain image), for 0.19<mumble>. Just download & decompress it, drop it
into /usr/local/bin (or /opt/bin), chmod +x it, and there you are, ready to
go. Needs a recent Linux with a recent GLibc to work, I think x86_64 Linux
with glibc 2.14 or later.

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364

R C

Re: freecad version

R C

On 10/27/20 2:41 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
[...]

hmm,  interesting.  I was on that forum  once or twice, was a little too  'stackoverflow-y' for me..  if you know what I mean.

I'd rather install a binary, if there isn't a repo to install it from.
I have compiled my own stuff, heck even in the day where it was the only
way to run linux/unix.
There is a single file download-and-run-thing (ready-to-run binary, in one
self-contain image), for 0.19<mumble>. Just download & decompress it, drop it
into /usr/local/bin (or /opt/bin), chmod +x it, and there you are, ready to
go. Needs a recent Linux with a recent GLibc to work, I think x86_64 Linux
with glibc 2.14 or later.

yeah they have some sort of image, not an iso, that you can install from too I believe.

But still ..  nowadays I rather just do a straight forward install.

 From what I hear, there is a 0.19 repo

thanks.

thanks,

Ron

Re: freecad version

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Dienstag, den 27.10.2020, 13:04 -0600 schrieb R C:

> does anyone know what version of freecad "comes with"  Ubuntu 20.04
> ?
> (I mean the one that gets installed using  apt-get install freecad)
>
> (I assume there is no option to install the newest version, I
> believe
> 0.19 ?)

i know you asked for apt-get ... but there is also

https://snapcraft.io/freecad

which seems to be actually well maintained and has 0.19 available in
the beta channel ...

ciao
        oli

R C

Re: freecad version

R C

On 10/27/20 2:53 PM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
hi,
Am Dienstag, den 27.10.2020, 13:04 -0600 schrieb R C:
does anyone know what version of freecad "comes with"  Ubuntu 20.04
?
(I mean the one that gets installed using  apt-get install freecad)

(I assume there is no option to install the newest version, I
believe
0.19 ?)

i know you asked for apt-get ... but there is also

https://snapcraft.io/freecad

which seems to be actually well maintained and has 0.19 available in
the beta channel ...

I have seen that actually,  I wonder if that something that is going to take over apt-get some day?

ciao
	oli

Re: freecad version

Colin Law
On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 19:07, R C <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> does anyone know what version of freecad "comes with"  Ubuntu 20.04 ?
> (I mean the one that gets installed using  apt-get install freecad)
>
> (I assume there is no option to install the newest version, I believe
> 0.19 ?)

You can use the freecad maintainer's daily build ppa to get 0.19
https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintainers/+archive/ubuntu/freecad-daily

Colin

R C

Re: freecad version

R C

On 10/27/20 3:45 PM, Colin Law wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 19:07, R C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> does anyone know what version of freecad "comes with"  Ubuntu 20.04 ?
>> (I mean the one that gets installed using  apt-get install freecad)
>>
>> (I assume there is no option to install the newest version, I believe
>> 0.19 ?)
> You can use the freecad maintainer's daily build ppa to get 0.19
> https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintainers/+archive/ubuntu/freecad-daily

thanks,  I read that, they can be installed next to each other too.  I
am actually doing that.

> Colin

Re: freecad version

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Dienstag, den 27.10.2020, 15:08 -0600 schrieb R C:

> > i know you asked for apt-get ... but there is also
> >
> > https://snapcraft.io/freecad
> >
> > which seems to be actually well maintained and has 0.19 available
> > in
> > the beta channel ...
>
> I have seen that actually,  I wonder if that something that is going
> to take over apt-get some day?

nope, snap packages use/consume the deb packages from the ubuntu
archive to build them, snaps are just an additional delivery mechanism,
but very helpful to use applications fully independent from the
underlying system. if they should replace something it would rather be
PPAs.

(though they would not have to use debs, i.e. a snap can technically be
commpletely built gentoo/arch style with all depedencies built from
source, but that would be a waste of time and resources since the ubunt
u archive is already there)

ciao
        oli

Re: freecad version

Gene Heskett-2
On Tuesday 27 October 2020 15:54:56 R C wrote:

> On 10/27/20 1:37 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> > At Tue, 27 Oct 2020 13:04:28 -0600 "Ubuntu user technical support,
not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Hello,
> >>

> >> does anyone know what version of freecad "comes with"  Ubuntu
> >> 20.04 ? (I mean the one that gets installed using  apt-get
> >> install freecad)
> >>
> >> (I assume there is no option to install the newest version, I
> >> believe 0.19 ?)
> >
> > I'm pretty sure the latest 'official' release of freecad is like
> > 0.18.4. 0.19.* are all "beta" releases, so they probably are NOT
> > going to be picked up by distribution packagers.  If you want a
> > newer version you will have to either build from source yourself or
> > use the self-contained install executables.   Official development
> > of freecad is somewhat "stalled". I think there is some sort of
> > effort to kick start the development process...
>
> Oh really that stalled?   that'd be a bummer.
>

> I'd rather install a binary, if there isn't a repo to install it
> from.  I have compiled my own stuff, heck even in the day where it was
> the only way to run linux/unix.
>
> But still ..  nowadays I rather just do a straight forward install.
>
>  From what I hear, there is a 0.19 repo

Yes, and 19 has been converted to an AppImage, probably updated weekly.
That is where the development is going. AppImage's run anyplace but are
big and bulky because they are self-contained, which isolates them from
99% of the os churn. Its been dead stable here thru 3 updates since I
discovered the AppImage. Its making my life easier.

> thanks.
>
> >> thanks,
> >>

> >> Ron

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

R C

Re: freecad version

R C

On 10/27/20 7:44 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 October 2020 15:54:56 R C wrote:
>
>> On 10/27/20 1:37 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure the latest 'official' release of freecad is like
>>> 0.18.4. 0.19.* are all "beta" releases, so they probably are NOT
>>> going to be picked up by distribution packagers.  If you want a
>>> newer version you will have to either build from source yourself or
>>> use the self-contained install executables.   Official development
>>> of freecad is somewhat "stalled". I think there is some sort of
>>> effort to kick start the development process...
>> Oh really that stalled?   that'd be a bummer.
>>

>> I'd rather install a binary, if there isn't a repo to install it
>> from.  I have compiled my own stuff, heck even in the day where it was
>> the only way to run linux/unix.
>>
>> But still ..  nowadays I rather just do a straight forward install.
>>
>>   From what I hear, there is a 0.19 repo
> Yes, and 19 has been converted to an AppImage, probably updated weekly.
> That is where the development is going. AppImage's run anyplace but are
> big and bulky because they are self-contained, which isolates them from
> 99% of the os churn. Its been dead stable here thru 3 updates since I
> discovered the AppImage. Its making my life easier.

Yes I heard about the AppImage distribution. (there are different
initiatives doing such things,  doesn't RHEL call it containers?)

>> thanks.

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Re: freecad version

Gene Heskett-2
On Tuesday 27 October 2020 21:49:14 R C wrote:

> On 10/27/20 7:44 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> Oh really that stalled?   that'd be a bummer.
> >>

> >> I'd rather install a binary, if there isn't a repo to install it
> >> from.  I have compiled my own stuff, heck even in the day where it
> >> was the only way to run linux/unix.
> >>
> >> But still ..  nowadays I rather just do a straight forward install.
> >>
> >>   From what I hear, there is a 0.19 repo
> >
> > Yes, and 19 has been converted to an AppImage, probably updated
> > weekly. That is where the development is going. AppImage's run
> > anyplace but are big and bulky because they are self-contained,
> > which isolates them from 99% of the os churn. Its been dead stable
> > here thru 3 updates since I discovered the AppImage. Its making my
> > life easier.
>
> Yes I heard about the AppImage distribution. (there are different
> initiatives doing such things,  doesn't RHEL call it containers?)

They may, but when I figured it out along about fedora 5, that RH
officially didn't care if they broke fedora uses installs for months at
a time, I switched to debian based stuff and very carefully have never
looked back.  My life's job description didn't include being a free lab
monkey they officially didn't care about if it died. And my life has
been much more enjoyable since.

> >> thanks.

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

R C

Re: freecad version

R C

On 10/28/20 2:19 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 October 2020 21:49:14 R C wrote:

>>> Yes, and 19 has been converted to an AppImage, probably updated
>>> weekly. That is where the development is going. AppImage's run
>>> anyplace but are big and bulky because they are self-contained,
>>> which isolates them from 99% of the os churn. Its been dead stable
>>> here thru 3 updates since I discovered the AppImage. Its making my
>>> life easier.
>> Yes I heard about the AppImage distribution. (there are different
>> initiatives doing such things,  doesn't RHEL call it containers?)
>>
> They may, but when I figured it out along about fedora 5, that RH
> officially didn't care if they broke fedora uses installs for months at
> a time, I switched to debian based stuff and very carefully have never
> looked back.  My life's job description didn't include being a free lab
> monkey they officially didn't care about if it died. And my life has
> been much more enjoyable since.

ah,  I mostly work with RHEL, and some  special RHEL distros, so it is
easier for me to work with that and Centos. I use Ubuntu if there's no
other way around it.

>>> Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Re: freecad version

Bret Busby-2
On 27/10/2020, R C <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> does anyone know what version of freecad "comes with"  Ubuntu 20.04 ?
> (I mean the one that gets installed using  apt-get install freecad)

Hello.

I believe that you now have the information that you sought, but I
thought you might be interested in something that I have just found,
which would have immediately answered your question above.

If, at a command line, you enter
sudo aptitude show freecad
you might be interested in the output.

If you do not have aptitude installed, then
sudo apt install aptitude

I hope that you (and anyone else who reads this, and was not
previously aware of the aptitude show functionality) find this
helpful.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

R C

Re: freecad version

R C
I figured yhere  would be something like that,  in the RHEL/Centos world
(that I mostly work with) yum can do stuff like that.

I was actually looking for the 0.19 version because rumor has it it can
create g-code for alathe too.

Ron