friendly comment: design problem about logout

friendly comment: design problem about logout

Shu Hung (Koala)-2
Hello,

Problem, as I think it is
There are 2 sets of buttons that do all the logout, suspend, hibernate job:
 (1) The "System" menu on the top-left corner
 (2) The button with door on the top-right corner

If I press (2), I'll get a pop-up dialog box with 6 graphical button.
(I quite love this menu box)

On the other hand, there are 3 buttons: "Lock Screen", "Logout" &
"Shutdown" on the "System" menu I mentioned on (1). All of these
buttons will give me a pop-up dialog box with more choose. But
none of these button can give me the pop-up dialog box I
mentioned on (2)

What matter is it?
I believe that the whole OS should use the same dialog box for the
same function. On this case, where ever I press a button called
"Logout", it should give me the same dialog box. This would be more
sensable and more predictable to users.

A minor problem is about keyboard accessability. I think most
"keyboard-lover" like me would use the menus on top-lef corner
since they are accessable by keyboard. If I cannot get the same
dialog box from menu as the top-right corner button, I would be
very unhappy.

What make things better?
Simple. I wish there would be some aggreement between these 2
sets of button. Perhaps the "Logout" on "System" menu gives me
the graphical buttons. Or perhaps the top-right corner button provides
a small menu with the 3 buttons on "System" menu.

I personally prefer the 6-graphical-button dialog box than the old
boring plain text menu. But I am OK if you apply old menu to both
place.

Thanks,
Koala

Re: friendly comment: design problem about logout

Duncan Lithgow
On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 16:03 +0800, Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Problem, as I think it is
> There are 2 sets of buttons that do all the logout, suspend, hibernate
> job:
>  (1) The "System" menu on the top-left corner
>  (2) The button with door on the top-right corner

I agree that this is a design problem, I've cc'ed this to the
ubuntu-devel list.
--
Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]>

Re: friendly comment: design problem about logout

Manu Cornet-3

Hi !

> > Problem, as I think it is
> > There are 2 sets of buttons that do all the logout, suspend, hibernate
> > job:
> >  (1) The "System" menu on the top-left corner
> >  (2) The button with door on the top-right corner
> I agree that this is a design problem, I've cc'ed this to the
> ubuntu-devel list.

Eventually, we'll probably only keep the applet (top-right corner) for
new users. For existing users, we're hesitating to leave the menu entry
(in "System") as well so that they can keep doing what they are used to
doing.

Anyway, we're already working on this, but thanks for your comment
anyway :)

Cheers,
Manu

Re: friendly comment: design problem about logout

Sandis Neilands
Hello Manu!

On 2/24/06, Manu Cornet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi !
>
> > > Problem, as I think it is
> > > There are 2 sets of buttons that do all the logout, suspend, hibernate
> > > job:
> > >  (1) The "System" menu on the top-left corner
> > >  (2) The button with door on the top-right corner
> > I agree that this is a design problem, I've cc'ed this to the
> > ubuntu-devel list.
>
> Eventually, we'll probably only keep the applet (top-right corner) for
> new users. For existing users, we're hesitating to leave the menu entry
> (in "System") as well so that they can keep doing what they are used to
> doing.
The idea of removing menu item is really bad.
1) Menu item provides useful and immediately available text message.
2) Log out is used so rarely that it can safely live under nice menu,
rather than clutter the panel.
3) It breaks consistency - removing other items from panel is safe,
because they are still under menu (think evo). A lot of users don't
and won't like the log out icon on the corner and they will remove it.
But (surprise, surprise!) when eventually they will try to turn off
their computers they won't find a way how to do it and will file bugs
about missing menu item.

By the way, trash applet suffers from the 3) too. It should live under
places menu and be accessible even if the user removes panel.

If my memory serves me well, you are the author of the new log out
dialog. Don't worry, people will still see your work without
unnecessary panel item.

--
Sandis

Re: friendly comment: design problem about logout

Manu Cornet-3

Hi !

Just to be clear about that, I'm not the one who decides where to put
this login item (in the panel, in the menu, or both) at all :) In fact I
would recommend keeping it under "System".

I was just informing you of the possible future. And I was answering an
email that was precisely raising the fact that the set of logout actions
appeared in several places.

> Don't worry, people will still see your work without
> unnecessary panel item.

Don't worry, the number of people seeing my work is really none of my
concern :) I just hope I'm doing useful stuff for the community. (And if
I was concerned about that kind of "popularity", I would be fairly
satisfied, since people open the "Add to panel" dialog pretty often, and
I also made that one) :)

Cheers,
Manu

Re: friendly comment: design problem about logout

Shu Hung (Koala)-2
On 2/24/06, Manu Cornet <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi !

> > Problem, as I think it is
> > There are 2 sets of buttons that do all the logout, suspend, hibernate
> > job:
> >  (1) The "System" menu on the top-left corner
> >  (2) The button with door on the top-right corner
> I agree that this is a design problem, I've cc'ed this to the
> ubuntu-devel list.

Eventually, we'll probably only keep the applet (top-right corner) for
new users. For existing users, we're hesitating to leave the menu entry
(in "System") as well so that they can keep doing what they are used to
doing.

Anyway, we're already working on this, but thanks for your comment
anyway :)

Cheers,
Manu

Hello,

Thanks Duncan, I can see the design changed today.
Thanks developer. Thanks to ones who did this.

Manu, I doubt I am misunderstanding your mail. Are you going
to remove ALL log out options in "System" Menu? If that is the
case, I don't think it is a good idea.

I think the biggest advantage of "System" Menu over tray icon
is accessability. Right now I can do whatever I want with my
"Ctrl + F1" hotkey and I am happy with this. I suppose it is the
"almighty point of action" so I can do almost everything with
only 1 hotkey.

Although I think the tray icon is good for new user, I seldom
use it. There are 2 reasons: (1) I'd rather keep my hands on
keyboard rather than on mouse and (2) it is easier to use the
"almighty Ctrl + F1" than to remember 10+ hotkeys.

I know you are not the one who make the decision but please
express my opinion to those who do. Thanks a lot.

Koala
P.S. "Add to panel" is great !!! Thanks ^^