ftp server

Bob

ftp server

Bob
I want to setup an ftp server in Ubuntu to serve data to a system running in
VirtualBox.  The os in the VirtualBox does not have much support so I can not
use shared files.

what is a good (simple) ftp server to use in this case?

--
Robert Blair

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money.  -- G. Gordon Liddy

Re: ftp server

Karl Auer
On Sat, 2018-12-15 at 23:41 -0800, Bob wrote:
> I want to setup an ftp server in Ubuntu to serve data to a system
> running in VirtualBox.  The os in the VirtualBox does not have much
> support so I can not use shared files.
>
> what is a good (simple) ftp server to use in this case?

Firstly, only use FTP if you absolutely control every link between the
sender, the server and the receiver. Or have a virtual link that you
control such as a VPN. FTP is a clear-text protocol

A FAR better idea is to use SFTP - FTP over SSH. Setting that up is
amazingly simple, it's built into the SSH server supplied with every
Ubuntu distribution. You just add about four lines to
/etc/ssh/sshd_config.

Add (or uncomment) this line:

Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server

Optionally add lines similar to these:

Match Group sftp_users
   ChrootDirectory /home/%u
   ForceCommand internal-sftp

You'll need a suitable group "sftp_users", and you will need to put
SFTP users into that group. The chroot line is optional, but
recommended. It does impose very strict permissions requirements on
home directories.

I suggest you google how to do this rather than use my suggestions.

For actual FTP, vsftpd is about the best out there. Supports both FTP
and SFTP.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75
Old fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A

Re: ftp server

Robert Heller
At Sun, 16 Dec 2018 19:11:05 +1100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2018-12-15 at 23:41 -0800, Bob wrote:
> > I want to setup an ftp server in Ubuntu to serve data to a system
> > running in VirtualBox.  The os in the VirtualBox does not have much
> > support so I can not use shared files.
> >
> > what is a good (simple) ftp server to use in this case?
>
> Firstly, only use FTP if you absolutely control every link between the
> sender, the server and the receiver. Or have a virtual link that you
> control such as a VPN. FTP is a clear-text protocol
>
> A FAR better idea is to use SFTP - FTP over SSH. Setting that up is
> amazingly simple, it's built into the SSH server supplied with every
> Ubuntu distribution. You just add about four lines to
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
>
> Add (or uncomment) this line:
>
> Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server
>
> Optionally add lines similar to these:
>
> Match Group sftp_users
>    ChrootDirectory /home/%u
>    ForceCommand internal-sftp
>
> You'll need a suitable group "sftp_users", and you will need to put
> SFTP users into that group. The chroot line is optional, but
> recommended. It does impose very strict permissions requirements on
> home directories.
>
> I suggest you google how to do this rather than use my suggestions.
>
> For actual FTP, vsftpd is about the best out there. Supports both FTP
> and SFTP.
Anonomus FTP is also still valid for downloading public files from a public
FTP file server.  Otherwise, yes, FTP should not be used for anything else.
There is no longer any valid reason to.

All tools which used to use FTP (eg HTML editors and the like) now all suport
sftp, which is imlemented in the OpenSSH server, which is installed by default
with most Linux dristos (or can be trivially installed on all Linux dristos).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: ftp server

Karl Auer
On Sun, 2018-12-16 at 09:19 -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
> Anonomus FTP is also still valid for downloading public files from a
> public FTP file server.

Well - not if you don't want your activities visible. Same as websites
- they may be public, but that doesn't mean your activities on them
should be.

I believe better advice is "do not use FTP unless you control the
entire (logical) network path between client and server".

> All tools which used to use FTP (eg HTML editors and the like) now
> all suport sftp

"All" is a dangerous word to use in this wide, wide world. But pretty
close, I would think.

At Mon, 17 Dec 2018 01:45:31 +1100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2018-12-16 at 09:19 -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
> > Anonomus FTP is also still valid for downloading public files from a
> > public FTP file server.
>
> Well - not if you don't want your activities visible. Same as websites
> - they may be public, but that doesn't mean your activities on them
> should be.
>
> I believe better advice is "do not use FTP unless you control the
> entire (logical) network path between client and server".
>
> > All tools which used to use FTP (eg HTML editors and the like) now
> > all suport sftp
>
> "All" is a dangerous word to use in this wide, wide world. But pretty
> close, I would think.
I guess all widely used and supported tools might be a better way to say it.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: ftp server

Peter Flynn
On 16/12/2018 14:45, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-12-16 at 09:19 -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
>> All tools which used to use FTP (eg HTML editors and the like) now
>> all suport sftp
>
> "All" is a dangerous word to use in this wide, wide world. But pretty
> close, I would think.

Not close enough. In my university, IT Services were still coming across
users running obsolete Win95 web page creation software which used plain
FTP until recently when the port was turned off on all internal servers
and blocked at the routers and switches (it had been blocked externally
years ago). That brought them to the surface, as the users called IT
Services to ask why they couldn't upload their pages any more :-)

Plus there are still many (perhaps most) ISPs whose bottom-tier hosting
service uses only FTP for users to upload files. If you want sftp, you
have to pay a higher rate.

///Peter

Re: ftp server

Little Girl
Hey there,

Bob wrote:

>I want to setup an ftp server in Ubuntu to serve data to a system
>running in VirtualBox.  The os in the VirtualBox does not have much
>support so I can not use shared files.

VirtualBox offers several ways to attach VMs to the network and uses
NAT by default, which mostly isolates them and makes them unsuitable
for use as servers or for shared files. You'll want to pick a
different way of attaching the VM to the network. This page does a
nice job of describing them so you can decide which is best for you:

https://blogs.oracle.com/scoter/networking-in-virtualbox-v2#Bridged

>what is a good (simple) ftp server to use in this case?

Two sftp servers that are popular and quick to set up are
openssh-server and vsftpd, both of which are in the Ubuntu
repositories. Each will run automatically when the VM is launched and
each can be connected to with a variety of methods (PuTTY, FileZilla,
browser, command line, etc.) at the VM's IP address with the
credentials of the VM's users.

Below are basic instructions for each of them, but you should also do
your own research to familiarize yourself with their details to make
sure you're protecting your data and access to the server(s)
properly, etc.

To install and set up openssh-server in a VM:

        1) Open a terminal window in the VM.

        2) Install the server with this command:

        sudo apt install openssh-server

        3) Back up the config file with this command:

        sudo cp /etc/ssh/sshd_config /etc/ssh/sshd_config.original

        4) Edit the config file with administrative rights with this
        command:

        sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

        5) Make the changes you'd like inside the config file,
        opening the sshd_config man page in another terminal window
        to use as a reference.

        6) Save the file by pressing the Ctrl and o keys at the same
        time, then pressing the Enter key, then pressing the Ctrl and
        x keys at the same time.

        7) Restart the server with this command to make the changes
        take effect:

        sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart

        8) Close the terminal window(s).

To install and set up vsftpd server in a VM:

        1) Open a terminal window.

        2) Install the server with this command:

        sudo apt install vsftpd

        3) Back up the config file with this command:

        sudo cp /etc/vsftpd.conf /etc/vsftpd.conf.original

        4) Edit the config file with administrative rights with this
        command:

        sudo nano /etc/vsftpd.conf

        5) Make the changes you'd like inside the config file after
        reading the descriptions for each setting in the file and
        opening the vsftpd man page in another terminal window to use
        as a reference.

        6) Save the file by pressing the Ctrl and o keys at the same
        time, then pressing the Enter key, then pressing the Ctrl and
        x keys at the same time.

        7) Restart the server with this command to make the changes
        take effect:

        sudo /etc/init.d/vsftpd restart

        8) Close the terminal window(s).

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Bob

Re: ftp server

Bob
** Reply to message from Little Girl <[hidden email]> on Sun, 16 Dec
2018 12:40:50 -0500

Thank you.

> Hey there,
>
> Bob wrote:
>
> >I want to setup an ftp server in Ubuntu to serve data to a system
> >running in VirtualBox.  The os in the VirtualBox does not have much
> >support so I can not use shared files.
>
> VirtualBox offers several ways to attach VMs to the network and uses
> NAT by default, which mostly isolates them and makes them unsuitable
> for use as servers or for shared files. You'll want to pick a
> different way of attaching the VM to the network. This page does a
> nice job of describing them so you can decide which is best for you:
>
> https://blogs.oracle.com/scoter/networking-in-virtualbox-v2#Bridged

Interesting article, I am glad you included the URL.

> >what is a good (simple) ftp server to use in this case?
>
> Two sftp servers that are popular and quick to set up are
> openssh-server and vsftpd, both of which are in the Ubuntu
> repositories. Each will run automatically when the VM is launched and
> each can be connected to with a variety of methods (PuTTY, FileZilla,
> browser, command line, etc.) at the VM's IP address with the
> credentials of the VM's users.
>
> Below are basic instructions for each of them, but you should also do
> your own research to familiarize yourself with their details to make
> sure you're protecting your data and access to the server(s)
> properly, etc.
>
> To install and set up openssh-server in a VM:
>
> 1) Open a terminal window in the VM.
>
> 2) Install the server with this command:
>
> sudo apt install openssh-server
>
> 3) Back up the config file with this command:
>
> sudo cp /etc/ssh/sshd_config /etc/ssh/sshd_config.original
>
> 4) Edit the config file with administrative rights with this
> command:
>
> sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>
> 5) Make the changes you'd like inside the config file,
> opening the sshd_config man page in another terminal window
> to use as a reference.
>
> 6) Save the file by pressing the Ctrl and o keys at the same
> time, then pressing the Enter key, then pressing the Ctrl and
> x keys at the same time.
>
> 7) Restart the server with this command to make the changes
> take effect:
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart
>
> 8) Close the terminal window(s).
>
> To install and set up vsftpd server in a VM:
>
> 1) Open a terminal window.
>
> 2) Install the server with this command:
>
> sudo apt install vsftpd
>
> 3) Back up the config file with this command:
>
> sudo cp /etc/vsftpd.conf /etc/vsftpd.conf.original
>
> 4) Edit the config file with administrative rights with this
> command:
>
> sudo nano /etc/vsftpd.conf
>
> 5) Make the changes you'd like inside the config file after
> reading the descriptions for each setting in the file and
> opening the vsftpd man page in another terminal window to use
> as a reference.
>
> 6) Save the file by pressing the Ctrl and o keys at the same
> time, then pressing the Enter key, then pressing the Ctrl and
> x keys at the same time.
>
> 7) Restart the server with this command to make the changes
> take effect:
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/vsftpd restart
>
> 8) Close the terminal window(s).

Thanks for the information.  I think I will try vsftpd first and see how that
works.

--
Robert Blair

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.  -- Winston Churchill

Re: ftp server

Little Girl
Hey there,

Bob wrote:
>** Reply to message from Little Girl <[hidden email]> on Sun,
>16 Dec 2018 12:40:50 -0500

>Thank you.

Any time. It turns out we're doing this at about the same time. I had
just set mine up a few days before this.

>> https://blogs.oracle.com/scoter/networking-in-virtualbox-v2#Bridged

>Interesting article, I am glad you included the URL.

I enjoyed it, too. I'm a visual person, so having the differences
depicted that way made it easy to tell which of them I'd prefer for
which kind of task.

I noticed that I gave a bookmarked link to one of the headings,
though. It should have just been the base URL to the whole page:

https://blogs.oracle.com/scoter/networking-in-virtualbox-v2

>Thanks for the information.  I think I will try vsftpd first and see
>how that works.

That's exactly what I did. Let me know if you run into any trouble.
I've got both running smoothly over here and haven't decided which
of them I'd like to use yet.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.