gdm3 not starting into gnome

Dennis Heuer
Hello,

I use Bodhi Linux 4.4.0, but they told me that they did not touch the
respective parts of the system. So I ask here if you know something
about the case:

I installed the gnome package that gave me a full load of software that
worked fine on the E17 desktop. I also switched from lightdm to gdm3,
which did fine for E17. But it did not offer me the gnome session.

I managed to make the gnome session the default, reading the ubuntu
tutorial about /usr/share/xsession and this /var/lib/accounts...
folders. However, after login, gdm3 just reappeared inbetween
milliseconds. I tried lightdm with the same result. There is no
message, no console output, and nothing in the logs except of a sane
start and stop of X. There are no gdm3 or lightdm logs at all except of
copies of the X logs.

I wanted to reinstall gnome, but that ain't work via the gnome package.
So I deleted everything I could find, which took me an hour because
even the special search entry for gnome packages in synaptics doesn't
show it all. Even gnome-games was still installed, afterwards. I had to
walk through the huge list of "auto-deletable" packages (of which many
have dependencies like LibreOffice. So what does "auto-deletable" mean
anyways?) and don't know if I got it all...

Re: gdm3 not starting into gnome

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 16:34:42 +0100, Dennis Heuer wrote:
>I use Bodhi Linux 4.4.0, but they told me that they did not touch the
>respective parts of the system.

Hi,

what are the respective parts of the system and what are the
non-respective parts? Bodhi Linux 4.4.0 is based upon what Ubuntu
release? Is the default Wayland or X?

Who are "they"? Didn't they tell you how to fix the issue and instead
to send a request to this mailing list? Why did "they" do that?

I don't know what "auto-deletable" is for, however, when using apt as
well as apt-get, there's a feature called "autoremove" and it does
exactly what the manpage tells us:

"autoremove (and the auto-remove alias since 1.1)
           autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically
           installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are
           now no longer needed." -
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man8/apt-get.8.html

Also consider to read the "purge" paragraph from the same manpage:

"purge
   purge is identical to remove except that packages are
   removed and purged (any configuration files are deleted too)."

This could be helpful, if you should have messed up a config outside
of $HOME, since "purge" doesn't touch configs inside $HOME.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: gdm3 not starting into gnome

Ralf Mardorf-2
PS: If you can't login, how do you launch synaptic?

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 19:46:36 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>PS: If you can't login, how do you launch synaptic?

PPS: I suspect you could start a E17 session, right?

Re: gdm3 not starting into gnome

Dennis Heuer
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 19:35:17 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 16:34:42 +0100, Dennis Heuer wrote:
> >I use Bodhi Linux 4.4.0, but they told me that they did not touch the
> >respective parts of the system.
>
> Hi,
>
> what are the respective parts of the system and what are the
> non-respective parts? Bodhi Linux 4.4.0 is based upon what Ubuntu
> release? Is the default Wayland or X?

Ubuntu is the latest LTS release. The default is X.

> Who are "they"? Didn't they tell you how to fix the issue and instead
> to send a request to this mailing list? Why did "they" do that?

Aehm??? You want names? The project leader answered me. He didn't push
me away. Only, if he can't answer because he didn't touch that
subsystem, it's quite logical to ask here, isn't it???

> I don't know what "auto-deletable" is for, however, when using apt as
> well as apt-get, there's a feature called "autoremove" and it does
> exactly what the manpage tells us:
>
> "autoremove (and the auto-remove alias since 1.1)
>            autoremove is used to remove packages that were
> automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages
> and are now no longer needed." -
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man8/apt-get.8.html

There's the problem: In Synaptics, some of those packages still show
dependencies and want to delete them as well, i.e. LibreOffice!!!

> Regards,
> Ralf

Re: gdm3 not starting into gnome

Dennis Heuer
On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 19:48:14 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 19:46:36 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >PS: If you can't login, how do you launch synaptic?
>
> PPS: I suspect you could start a E17 session, right?

I said this in my first email. Only the gnome session doesn't start.
After installation, it wasn't even available in gdm3. The gnome
software works fine - on E17!

Re: gdm3 not starting into gnome

Ralf Mardorf-2
>I installed the gnome package

So you installed https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/gnome ?

Instead of using a graphical package manager consider to use
command line.

For testing purpose you could install
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-gnome-desktop .

Btw. https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/gnome-session contains the
file /usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop .

JFTR the gnome-session packages for bionic provide a
file /usr/share/xsessions/gnome-xorg.desktop .

However, I wonder that you edited something to make GNOME the default
DE. I never ever would use GNOME or E17, but I'm using lightdm on Arch
Linux, as well as on Ubuntu Xenial. The last chosen session
automatically becomes the default session for the next startup, so
actually there is nothing you need to edit.

Sorry, I can't help with Bodhi Linux. Instead of installing something
freakish, consider to install Xenial from the Ubuntu sever image by
unchecking all uncheckable default software, to get a real minimal
install or if you anyway want to go with GNOME, consider to install
Xenial from the Ubuntu GNOME image.

It's hard to understand what you actually did. For example, if you
installed a metapackage and later removed it, autoremove should remove
all dependencies.

"The packages installed through a metapackage are marked automatically
installed. Meaning, if the metapackage is removed, the package system
will suggest them for autoremoval unless you mark them as manually
installed. Although I believe that is not the case for metapackages
installed at system setup, only for those installed later." -
https://askubuntu.com/questions/679668/what-are-the-consequences-of-removing-metapackages

>Only, if he can't answer because he didn't touch that
>subsystem, it's quite logical to ask here, isn't it???

No it isn't. It's irrational to install a distro that isn't official
supported by this mailing list and then ask for support on this
mailing list, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuUsersListFAQ#FAQ1 .

Re: gdm3 not starting into gnome

Dennis Heuer
On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 03:48:39 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >I installed the gnome package
>
> So you installed https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/gnome ?

Guy, you ask me questions... I used synaptics, a tool from ubuntu,
isn't it? Insinde synaptics there is a package named "gnome", and that
I took!

> Instead of using a graphical package manager consider to use
> command line.
>
> For testing purpose you could install
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-gnome-desktop .
>
> Btw. https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/gnome-session contains the
> file /usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop .

That was installed but not recon'ed by neither lightdm nor gdm3. Read my
first email again. I mentioned all that!

> JFTR the gnome-session packages for bionic provide a
> file /usr/share/xsessions/gnome-xorg.desktop .

What is JFTR? And what is "bionic"?

> However, I wonder that you edited something to make GNOME the default
> DE. I never ever would use GNOME or E17, but I'm using lightdm on Arch
> Linux, as well as on Ubuntu Xenial. The last chosen session
> automatically becomes the default session for the next startup, so
> actually there is nothing you need to edit.

Normally, but in my case plain wrong! And I did not "edit something"
but "/var/lib/AccountsService/users/user", as was told so in a tutorial
at Ubuntu. Read my first email again!!!

> It's hard to understand what you actually did. For example, if you
> installed a metapackage and later removed it, autoremove should remove
> all dependencies.

I'd say that you don't even try! And, no, it did not!

> "The packages installed through a metapackage are marked automatically
> installed. Meaning, if the metapackage is removed, the package system
> will suggest them for autoremoval unless you mark them as manually
> installed. Although I believe that is not the case for metapackages
> installed at system setup, only for those installed later." -
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/679668/what-are-the-consequences-of-removing-metapackages
>
> >Only, if he can't answer because he didn't touch that
> >subsystem, it's quite logical to ask here, isn't it???
>
> No it isn't. It's irrational to install a distro that isn't official
> supported by this mailing list and then ask for support on this
> mailing list, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuUsersListFAQ#FAQ1 .

As you know that piece of system better, as it was left untouched. For
a user, yes, going to the source is very rational. A user doesn't know
your internal attitudes and borderlines. And, to be very clear about
this, you are a mess of a support!

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 18:32:34 +0100, Dennis Heuer wrote:
>And, to be very clear about this, you are a mess of a support!

Hi,

perhaps you have good luck and another subscriber to this list chimes
in. I'm sorry that I can't help you with this limited information about
your not supported Ubuntu derivative.

Good luck!
Ralf

Re: gdm3 not starting into gnome

Ralf Mardorf-2
My last attempt to help you, to help us to help you.

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 18:32:34 +0100, Dennis Heuer wrote:
>On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 03:48:39 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> So you installed https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/gnome ?
>
>Guy, you ask me questions... I used synaptics, a tool from ubuntu,
>isn't it? Insinde synaptics there is a package named "gnome", and that
>I took!

I'm only aware of a tool named "synaptic" and an unrelated package
called "xserver-xorg-input-synaptics". However, there might be an
official supported tool named "synaptics", but that doesn't mean that it
necessarily works flawlessly. Apart from this, we don't know if you are
using any third party repositories. Maybe there's a Bodhi Linux
repository enabled.

To rule out any issues that might or might not be caused by the
graphical package manager, it would help, if you would use command line.

>> Instead of using a graphical package manager consider to use
>> command line.
>>
>> For testing purpose you could install
>> https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-gnome-desktop .
>>
>> Btw. https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/gnome-session contains the
>> file /usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop .
>
>That was installed but not recon'ed by neither lightdm nor gdm3. Read
>my first email again. I mentioned all that!

The reason for this could be, that you aren't using Ubuntu, but an
Ubuntu derivative.

>> JFTR the gnome-session packages for bionic provide a
>> file /usr/share/xsessions/gnome-xorg.desktop .
>
>What is JFTR? And what is "bionic"?

It's the next Ubuntu LTS release, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases .

If you would have read the links I already provided, you at least would
have noticed, that it is an Ubuntu release.

>> However, I wonder that you edited something to make GNOME the default
>> DE. I never ever would use GNOME or E17, but I'm using lightdm on
>> Arch Linux, as well as on Ubuntu Xenial. The last chosen session
>> automatically becomes the default session for the next startup, so
>> actually there is nothing you need to edit.
>
>Normally, but in my case plain wrong! And I did not "edit something"
>but "/var/lib/AccountsService/users/user", as was told so in a tutorial
>at Ubuntu. Read my first email again!!!

Could you provide a link to this source? Perhaps it's a Wiki that needs
editing.

>> It's hard to understand what you actually did. For example, if you
>> installed a metapackage and later removed it, autoremove should
>> remove all dependencies.
>
>I'd say that you don't even try! And, no, it did not!

Sure, I asked you something, because I don't want to do research
regarding "Bodhi Linux 4.4.0". You can't expect that somebody
subscribed to this list knows much about Bodhi Linux, if anything at
all.

>> "The packages installed through a metapackage are marked
>> automatically installed. Meaning, if the metapackage is removed, the
>> package system will suggest them for autoremoval unless you mark
>> them as manually installed. Although I believe that is not the case
>> for metapackages installed at system setup, only for those installed
>> later." -
>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/679668/what-are-the-consequences-of-removing-metapackages
>> >Only, if he can't answer because he didn't touch that
>> >subsystem, it's quite logical to ask here, isn't it???
>>
>> No it isn't. It's irrational to install a distro that isn't official
>> supported by this mailing list and then ask for support on this
>> mailing list, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuUsersListFAQ#FAQ1 .
>
>As you know that piece of system better, as it was left untouched. For
>a user, yes, going to the source is very rational. A user doesn't know
>your internal attitudes and borderlines. And, to be very clear about
>this, you are a mess of a support!

If it's untouched and doesn't work, than it is a bug, you should report
to the Ubuntu bugtracker,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs .

Hth,
Ralf

https://www.internetslang.com/JFTR-meaning-definition.asp

Re: gdm3 not starting into gnome

Ralf Mardorf-2
There's an Ubuntu-GNOME mailing list,
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-GNOME as well as a
GNOME mailing list,
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-list , perhaps you get
the kind of support you wish to get there. I'm convinced that the best
support for Bodhi Linux should be provided by the Bodhi Linux
community, in other words, if the live
chat can't help you, perhaps http://forums.bodhilinux.com/ could.

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 19:53:01 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>There's an Ubuntu-GNOME mailing list,
>https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-GNOME as well as a
>GNOME mailing list,
>https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-list , perhaps you get
>the kind of support you wish to get there. I'm convinced that the best
>support for Bodhi Linux should be provided by the Bodhi Linux
>community, in other words, if the live
>chat can't help you, perhaps http://forums.bodhilinux.com/ could.

PS:

gdm-list -- GNOME Display Manager

LightDM -- LightDM mailing list

Re: gdm3 not starting into gnome

Dennis Heuer
Guy, what are you talking??? You have a mental problem!

Please don't answer further!

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 19:30:26 +0100

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 20:03:10 +0100, Dennis Heuer wrote:
>Guy, what are you talking??? You have a mental problem!
>[snip]
>Dennis Heuer
>[hidden email]

Apropos "mental problem":

http://seinswende.de/schreibwerk/doku.php

Re: gdm3 not starting into gnome

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Freitag, den 05.01.2018, 16:34 +0100 schrieb Dennis Heuer:
> Hello,
>
> I use Bodhi Linux 4.4.0, but they told me that they did not touch the
> respective parts of the system. So I ask here if you know something
> about the case:
>
> I installed the gnome package that gave me a full load of software
> that
> worked fine on the E17 desktop.

the "gnome" package is a debian metapackage, designed to work and
integrated with debian ... it simply comes into the ubuntu archive via
automatic archive syncs but is not necessarily the right pick for
getting a working gnome desktop on ubuntu ... to run gnome on ubuntu
better try to install the "ubuntu-gnome-desktop" package, that should
properly integrate with lightdm and gdm ...

ciao
        oli

On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 21:08:15 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>to run gnome on ubuntu better try to install the
>"ubuntu-gnome-desktop" package, that should properly integrate with
>lightdm and gdm ...

That was my recommendation, too [1], but it might not fit to his
"Seinswende" world view [2] to follow advices, after asking for help.

[1]
"For testing purpose you could install
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-gnome-desktop ." -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-January/293116.html

[2]
A claim without any evidence, let alone that it is a disgusting bad
German sentence:

"So ist auch die Physik bis Heute von Menschen besetzt, deren Sinnen in
vermeintlich klar und sicher Bemessbarem verhaftet. Auch wenn Ihnen der
von der Erfahrung gescholtene Physikus anderes erzählt, so ist sein
Sinnen doch auf dieser Schiene fahrend und stets die selben Denkfehler
erzeugend." - http://seinswende.de/schreibwerk/doku.php

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 22:56:12 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 21:08:15 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>>to run gnome on ubuntu better try to install the
>>"ubuntu-gnome-desktop" package, that should properly integrate with
>>lightdm and gdm ...
>
>That was my recommendation, too [1], but it might not fit to his
>"Seinswende" world view [2] to follow advices, after asking for help.
>
>[1]
>"For testing purpose you could install
>https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-gnome-desktop ." -
>https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2018-January/293116.html
>
>[2]
>A claim without any evidence, let alone that it is a disgusting bad
>German sentence:

Ok, two broken German sentences.

SDA

Re: gdm3 not starting into gnome

SDA
If you want support for the official Ubuntu Desktop ask on askubuntu.com for
downstream derrivatives ask on their support channels. We can't help you
with  derrivatives, that we're not familar with.