get-iplayer Snap

Paul Groves
Hi.

I have installed the snap as follows on Ubuntu 18.04.1 (with and without
classic option).

sudo snap install get_player --classic

but when I try to use get_iplayer to download:
paul@paul-pc:~/Videos$ get_iplayer URL_HERE

I receive the following error:
ERROR: Cannot open (write): /var/lib/snapd/void/..........

I cannot find anything searching the web.

why is get_iplayer trying to write to this location? I want to save the
file to the current directory ~/videos

I have also tried specifying --output "/home/paul/Vidoes"

and I have made the permissons of the videos folder 777

I tried the apt version but this is now missing and I cannot install it
with: sudo apt install get-iplayer

how do I get get_iplayer to work now? Or how can I revert to the non
snap version?

It seems every snap I try is broken:
Arduino cannot access serial ports
Audacity cannot access sound cards
and not get_iplayer cannot get from iplayer

Are these snaps production? Because they do not work on a clean install
of 18.04.

Re: get-iplayer Snap

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Freitag, den 15.03.2019, 21:47 +0000 schrieb Paul Groves:
> Hi.
>
> I have installed the snapĀ

you will find more snap specific support atĀ
https://forum.snapcraft.io/

(i think even the author of this snap is there)

if you want to remove the snap version to use a deb packaged one, you
can just use the snap remove command

> It seems every snap I try is broken:
> Arduino cannot access serial ports
> Audacity cannot access sound cards

snap packages use interfaces to communicate with the hardware or other
privileged parts of the system (similar to how apps work on android or
IOS), if the author of a snap did not ask for auto-connection of these
interfaces you have to do that manually ... snaps have a UI tool
integrated in the Software Center, you can either set the permissions
there or via the "snap interfaces/snap connect" commands.

ciao
        oli

Re: get-iplayer Snap

Paul Groves
Hi.

There is an official deb repository for get_iplayer which I am happy to
report is working fine. The get_iplayer site advises that the snap
should not be used.

Still looking into other issues. It seems like the developers have
either not at all included or have included poor support for the
permissions of the snaps.

I understand that snaps are new(ish) but should packages really be
released on the main software center repos if they do not work
immediately after installation?

Paul