gnome-session-flashback on Ubuntu Server

gnome-session-flashback on Ubuntu Server

Donaldson Jeff

Greetings,

I recently installed an Ubuntu Server with 16.04.2. After installing I decided I wanted to put a desktop environment on it for access to a gui. Since I still love Gnome2, I installed gnome-session-flashback on it using apt-get install gnome-session-flashback. It pulled all of the required additional packages and installed. Upon completion I restarted the server. When it came back up, there was only CLI. Trying to toggle CTRL+ALT+F2 or CTRL+ALT+F7 didn't do anything. I then tried running startx and xinit. It appears like it tried to go to a gui but ended up with a blank screen. It seemed like maybe it was just missing a display manager so I installed lightdm. Now I get a login screen, but I can't get a session to start. What am I missing? Why did installing gnome-session-flashback not automatically install a display manager? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jeff

Jeff Donaldson

Technology Director
Newark Charter School
[hidden email]
(302) 369-2001 ext: 625

Re: gnome-session-flashback on Ubuntu Server

compdoc
On 06/19/2017 01:13 PM, Donaldson Jeff wrote:

> Now I get a login screen, but I can't get a session to start. What am
> I missing?

I install Server with the Mate desktop. these are the few steps I use:

This allows you to start MATE manually from the console by typing
'statrx'. Do not use sudo!

Create an .xinitrc file:
nano ~/.xinitrc

Add:
exec mate-session  (you would use whatever command for gnome)

Save the file

Then:
sudo apt-get install xinit

Log into the console and type:
startx

Re: gnome-session-flashback on Ubuntu Server

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Montag, den 19.06.2017, 19:13 +0000 schrieb Donaldson Jeff:
>  Why did installing gnome-session-flashback not automatically
> install a display manager? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

because it is just a -session metapackage, it ships exactly what it
says, a session, not a full desktop env ...
you can either install a full desktop task or simply install lightdm
alongside with your session package.

ciao
        oli

On 19 June 2017 at 21:13, Donaldson Jeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since I still love Gnome2, I installed gnome-session-flashback on it

Then you installed the wrong thing.

As others have said, you should have gone for Maté, which is a fork of
GNOME 2. Install the mate-desktop metapackage -- I'm on a Mac and
can't check the name -- and of course X.org.