google

raymond house
Hi everyone, got a notice from google yesterday that I had security risks concerning my gmail account and Ubuntu was listed as one of them ? Where did this come from?

Re: google

CrankyOldBugger
We'd need to know what the message actually said, but I would hazard a guess that it was one of those "detected sign on from new device... " emails that we all get from time to time.  You can go into the sign on history somewhere in your Google profile and try to determine if it was your computer or not.  Remember that if you're running a VPN (like PIA) then the IP address will be weird.

If it says something completely different then let us know.

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 at 03:14 Raymond House <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone, got a notice from google yesterday that I had security risks concerning my gmail account and Ubuntu was listed as one of them ? Where did this come from?

Re: google

Myles Braithwaite
On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 3:13 AM, Raymond House <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone, got a notice from google yesterday that I had security risks
> concerning my gmail account and Ubuntu was listed as one of them ? Where did
> this come from?

This means what ever Ubuntu is using to connect to your Gmail account
isn't secure, Ubuntu could be using an old API or storing the username
and password instead of using oAuth. This could also be an old version
of Ubuntu you are using that still shows as connected because it was
never disconnected. On that Google screen it should so the last time
it was used, if it's over 100 days just disconnect it.

Re: google

raymond house
Yes Myles, thanks for the explanation, I have gotten the same explanation from a member of the Quebec ubuntu forum and I have removed the item. Thank you.