grub trouble

Duncan Lithgow
Hi there,

When I installed 5.10 I unplugged the drive with windows on - now I
can't get multi boot working again afterwards.

I use GAG on a floppy which hands over to whichever boot partition I
tell it. The problem is that regardless of which partition I choose on
the Ubuntu disk - it comes up with a grub... but no action. It just sits
there. I've tried using set-up to alter grub that it hasn't helped yet...

Could the problem be that I've installed grub on the mbr which doesn't
show up in GAGs menu?

Ideas anyone?

Duncan

Re: grub trouble

Samuel Thurston, III

On 11/20/05, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,

When I installed 5.10 I unplugged the drive with windows on - now I
can't get multi boot working again afterwards.

I use GAG on a floppy which hands over to whichever boot partition I
tell it. The problem is that regardless of which partition I choose on
the Ubuntu disk - it comes up with a grub... but no action. It just sits
there. I've tried using set-up to alter grub that it hasn't helped yet...

Could the problem be that I've installed grub on the mbr which doesn't
show up in GAGs menu?

Ideas anyone?

I consistently have the problem that as new kernels are installed and grub subsequently updated, I lose my windows partition as a grub option.  I know that Ubuntu team would rather I was not booting to windows, but it's really irritating to have to manually add it.

This is the stanza I add to /etc/grub.conf to put windows back in as a boot option; it sounds like your system is quite a bit different (i don't know what GAG is), and since I'm using win98 this may require substantial modification for your use (however i believe this works fine with xp as well) at least you may have to change the hd#,# to whatever your correct device is.

title Microsoft Windows 98 SE
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Re: grub trouble

ulrich steffens
Am Sonntag, den 20.11.2005, 10:56 -0600 schrieb Samuel Thurston, III:

> On 11/20/05, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Hi there,
>
>         When I installed 5.10 I unplugged the drive with windows on -
>         now I
>         can't get multi boot working again afterwards.
>
>         I use GAG on a floppy which hands over to whichever boot
>         partition I
>         tell it. The problem is that regardless of which partition I
>         choose on
>         the Ubuntu disk - it comes up with a grub... but no action. It
>         just sits
>         there. I've tried using set-up to alter grub that it hasn't
>         helped yet...
>
>         Could the problem be that I've installed grub on the mbr which
>         doesn't
>         show up in GAGs menu?
>
>         Ideas anyone?
>

> I consistently have the problem that as new kernels are installed and
> grub subsequently updated, I lose my windows partition as a grub
> option.  I know that Ubuntu team would rather I was not booting to
> windows, but it's really irritating to have to manually add it.
>
> This is the stanza I add to /etc/grub.conf to put windows back in as a
> boot option; it sounds like your system is quite a bit different (i
> don't know what GAG is), and since I'm using win98 this may require
> substantial modification for your use (however i believe this works
> fine with xp as well) at least you may have to change the hd#,# to
> whatever your correct device is.
>
> title Microsoft Windows 98 SE
> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> chainloader +1

if you actually look whats in /boot/grub/menu.lst then you will see a
line that says

# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

so if you DON'T want your stanzas overwritten everytime you update, then
either put them before or after the automatic kernel list.
since ubuntu handled this correct on every install i did, i assume you
missed that part on your side...

- ulrich
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Lay on, MacDuff, and curs'd be him who first cries, "Hold, enough!". -- Shakespeare