hello and perhaps some help

Regina Woodard
Hey everyone! My name is Gina or you can call me G-Dawg (that's my street name lol) As you can probably guess, I am a newbie to not only the list, but to Linux as well, hence why I actually subscribed. I've run into a problem and I'm hoping I can get some help.

About me - I've just started in a network class as per an IT degree with a concentration in networks, so in my previous class we did a paper about the different OS and I did one about Windows and Linux. That of course peaked my interest with Linux and finally, as of today, I suddenly needed to try this up and coming OS and so here I am!

Now, about my problem - it occured to me today that I didn't want to get rid of XP (which is what I'm running on my desktop), but yet I didn't really want to share my desktop with Linux either, for fear there may be a horrible clash that would happen (and crashing XP twice in one year is an all time high for me; I'd rather not make it three) So I came up with the idea to 'sample' Linux on my old hard drive from my Packard Bell (yeah, I know) However, I have run into problems.

I first went with the Suse 10 for Linux and ran into the problem that my network device could not be detected; I got that repeatedly. Now, I want to say it was because I downloaded the internet install at a work computer, burned the image to disk and brought it home. So I have taken the liberty of installing it on my desktop. Have yet to try it, though I think the outcome will be the same.

So, frustrated, I stumbled onto ubuntu and saw that not only did it look ridiculously easy (again, I'm a newbie to Linux and I've heard Linux is not user-friendly like Windows), I decided to give it a go. I'm currently downloading the breezy beaver (and really, with a name like that why didn't I try this frist?) I wanted to try something different, but I have a feeilng I will be getting the same error message.

As for the specs of my computer, I would like this placed on a second hard drive NOT the master (so basically the slave) The slave is a Fujitsu limited with 1.96GB; I am using an internal NIC which is Belkin 2003; NTFS; nVidia sound card with Hercules drivers....again, I want this to be on the second drive and theoretically, when I boot from the CD, shouldn't it do what Windows does and ask which drive I want it on? My computer is set to boot from the CD, but at least with Suse, it didn't even pick up that I had two hard drives.

I really want to try Linux and technically, school was nice enough to give me wonderful copies of XP should I need them, but I really don't want to do that. I don't want to re-partition my master drive, especially when it took a while to get everything back I lost the LAST time XP crashed on me. I even unplugged the master drive and it still said that my network device couldn't be detected and it went into manual installation, which left me confused, as nothing happened and it said the same thing.

Okay, so sorry about this very long post, but I truly am hoping to make this work. Any suggestions are appreciated and even though I am a BIT, please take the time if possible to explain this as though I'm a five year old. All the searches I've done for this problem either are too confusing or don't address my problem and there doesn't seem to be a solution.

Whew! Well, I hope someone can help. Thanks a lot and hope to hear from everybody on whatever!

Gina

Re: hello and perhaps some help

Peter Garrett
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:03:13 -0700
Regina Woodard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As for the specs of my computer, I would like this placed on a second hard
> drive NOT the master (so basically the slave) The slave is a Fujitsu limited
> with 1.96GB;

Regina, a standard install of Ubuntu would be a tight squeeze on that hard drive - the default install with Gnome takes around 1.8GB plus . In fact I'm not sure you'd have enough room for a swap partition, and even if you did you have less than 200MB left to store your data, let alone any extra programs you might want or need.

I think you'd enjoy your linux experiment more with at least 5-10 GB to play with. I'd recommend the 10GB end of that, since there are so many cool apps you can install...

Peter
--

Linux User #343161

Re: hello and perhaps some help

Michael Shigorin
On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 10:03:13PM -0700, Regina Woodard wrote:
> The slave is a Fujitsu limited with 1.96GB

home:~> df -Th
Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda2      xfs    247M  203M   45M  83% /
/dev/hda7      xfs     14G   14G  428M  98% /home
/dev/hda5      xfs    3.8G  3.6G  170M  96% /usr
/dev/hda3      xfs    2.8G  679M  2.2G  24% /var
/dev/hda8      xfs     92G   85G  6.7G  93% /var/ftp
/dev/shm     tmpfs    384M   21M  364M   6% /tmp
/tmp          none    384M   21M  364M   6% /var/tmp

/ and /usr partitions (which hold most of OS and application code
and static data) are ~4Gb, and this is a multi-user desktop with
WindowMaker, Fluxbox and KDE3 (and half of GNOME2) all installed;
also the developer's workstation / build server so development
packages (like compilers) are also kind of present.

/var has some 100 or so megabytes of OS/apps data which weren't
generated by user activities (like databases and such).

/home is a separate story having archives since some 1999 or earlier.

/var/ftp is a catch-all partition, both downloads from dmusic.com
and unstable repo snapshots mirror are there.

One desktop Linux system (WindowMaker one, running on
Pentium 133) was using 1.2Gb drive or so -- an installation
was taking up some 600 megs, user data being the rest).

So, it might help to plan a dedicated /home for user data but
2 Gb for OS and apps is perfectly OK given there's no development
or NWN installed in same old /usr.  Maybe somewhere sooner or
later, but it helps a lot in different ways.

"Partition mini-HOWTO" document should be easily googled up.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <[hidden email]>

Re: hello and perhaps some help

Regina Woodard
Hey everyone.

A big thanks for those that responded to my question. I had a problem earlier where I  was receiving a grub error 21, but after looking it up within google, I tried something and it worked. I can now use Linux :D

I must say it kinda reminds me of Mac interfaces; I tested it for a bit before heading off today, but so far I like it, though I have no idea what anything does of course lol

Anyway, thanks a lot!

Gina

Re: hello and perhaps some help

John-68
Regina Woodard wrote:

> Hey everyone! My name is Gina or you can call me G-Dawg (that's my street
> name lol) As you can probably guess, I am a newbie to not only the list, but
> to Linux as well, hence why I actually subscribed. I've run into a problem
> and I'm hoping I can get some help.
>
> About me - I've just started in a network class as per an IT degree with a
> concentration in networks, so in my previous class we did a paper about the
> different OS and I did one about Windows and Linux. That of course peaked my
> interest with Linux and finally, as of today, I suddenly needed to try this
> up and coming OS and so here I am!
>
> Now, about my problem - it occured to me today that I didn't want to get rid
> of XP (which is what I'm running on my desktop), but yet I didn't really
> want to share my desktop with Linux either, for fear there may be a horrible
> clash that would happen (and crashing XP twice in one year is an all time
> high for me; I'd rather not make it three) So I came up with the idea to
> 'sample' Linux on my old hard drive from my Packard Bell (yeah, I know)
> However, I have run into problems.
>
> I first went with the Suse 10 for Linux and ran into the problem that my
> network device could not be detected; I got that repeatedly. Now, I want to
> say it was because I downloaded the internet install at a work computer,
> burned the image to disk and brought it home. So I have taken the liberty of
> installing it on my desktop. Have yet to try it, though I think the outcome
> will be the same.

I've just installed SuSE 10 and Breezy on the same laptop (a new Acer
Aspirt). Breezy as first and selected the seoond FAT32 (windows XP Home
here) partition and resized it without drama. I've previously resized
NTFS with Suse 9.x abd that was pretty trivial.

On my system, SuSE came out ahead on hardware recognition (it lead me
through configuring wireless and the infernal modem). I think Breezy's a
little better for beginners once it's installed.

Typically but not always, recent Linux distributions will find and
configure everything, and not require post-installation of special
drives. Major hardware exceptions are software modems and some wireless
devices: the story there various with distribution and specific hardware.

In your case, until you have more confidence in what you're doing I
suggest a disk caddy. They allow you to exchange hard drives (while the
poer is disconnected please), and there is no possibility of either OS
borking the other.