helping golang-golang-x-sys to migrate

Reinhard Tartler
Hi folks,

I couple of golang packages I care deeply about are stuck in hirsute-proposed due to autopkgtest failures that I had a hard time understanding. I've come to the conclusion that the problem must be related to https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/hirsute/update_excuses.html#golang-golang-x-sys

It seems that there are regressions in the following packages:

- golang-github-canonical-go-dqlite
- golang-github-lucas-clemente-quic-go
- golang-google-grpc

I'm not familiar with those testsuites, but on the first look, there might be timing issues.

I'd appreciate some thoughts/comments on helping golang-golang-x-sys migrate to hirsute.

Thanks!

--
regards,
    Reinhard

Re: helping golang-golang-x-sys to migrate

Lukasz Zemczak
Hey Reinhard,

I see that at least golang-github-canonical-go-dqlite seems like a
good candidate to hint with a force-reset-test - I'll do that later
today (as it only passed *once* in its whole testing history, so it's
not a reliable testsuite).
I have retried one of the failures there and will try seeing if the
other failures make any sense.

Cheers,

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 at 22:11, Reinhard Tartler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I couple of golang packages I care deeply about are stuck in hirsute-proposed due to autopkgtest failures that I had a hard time understanding. I've come to the conclusion that the problem must be related to https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/hirsute/update_excuses.html#golang-golang-x-sys
>
> It seems that there are regressions in the following packages:
>
> - golang-github-canonical-go-dqlite
> - golang-github-lucas-clemente-quic-go
> - golang-google-grpc
>
> I'm not familiar with those testsuites, but on the first look, there might be timing issues.
>
> I'd appreciate some thoughts/comments on helping golang-golang-x-sys migrate to hirsute.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> regards,
>     Reinhard

Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak
 Foundations Team
 [hidden email]
 www.canonical.com

Re: helping golang-golang-x-sys to migrate

Reinhard Tartler
Cool, thanks.

2021-01-07T08:40:46.015Z	info	VictoriaMetrics/lib/mergeset/table.go:203	table "/tmp/autopkgtest.a1SU4e/autopkgtest_tmp/_build/src/github.com/VictoriaMetrics/VictoriaMetrics/lib/storage/TestStorageRegisterMetricNamesConcurrent/indexdb/1657E67DA0CA2C97" has been opened in 0.002 seconds; partsCount: 0; blocksCount: 0, itemsCount: 0; sizeBytes: 0
    storage_test.go:699: unexpected error: error in SearchMetricNames: cannot search for tsids, since more than 2 concurrent searches are performed during -1610008847.000 secs; add more CPUs or reduce query load
--- FAIL: TestStorageRegisterMetricNamesConcurrent (0.49s)

Maybe the test machine doesn't have enough CPUs for these tests? Can we retry the failing tests on larger machines?

-rt

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 3:32 AM Lukasz Zemczak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Reinhard,

I see that at least golang-github-canonical-go-dqlite seems like a
good candidate to hint with a force-reset-test - I'll do that later
today (as it only passed *once* in its whole testing history, so it's
not a reliable testsuite).
I have retried one of the failures there and will try seeing if the
other failures make any sense.

Cheers,

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 at 22:11, Reinhard Tartler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I couple of golang packages I care deeply about are stuck in hirsute-proposed due to autopkgtest failures that I had a hard time understanding. I've come to the conclusion that the problem must be related to https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/hirsute/update_excuses.html#golang-golang-x-sys
>
> It seems that there are regressions in the following packages:
>
> - golang-github-canonical-go-dqlite
> - golang-github-lucas-clemente-quic-go
> - golang-google-grpc
>
> I'm not familiar with those testsuites, but on the first look, there might be timing issues.
>
> I'd appreciate some thoughts/comments on helping golang-golang-x-sys migrate to hirsute.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> regards,
>     Reinhard

Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak
 Foundations Team
 [hidden email]
 www.canonical.com

--
regards,
    Reinhard

Re: helping golang-golang-x-sys to migrate

Reinhard Tartler
Another week has passed, and the original issues seem to have been resolved by retrying. Thanks for everyone involved in that.

2021-01-07T08:40:46.015Z	info	VictoriaMetrics/lib/mergeset/table.go:203	table "/tmp/autopkgtest.a1SU4e/autopkgtest_tmp/_build/src/github.com/VictoriaMetrics/VictoriaMetrics/lib/storage/TestStorageRegisterMetricNamesConcurrent/indexdb/1657E67DA0CA2C97" has been opened in 0.002 seconds; partsCount: 0; blocksCount: 0, itemsCount: 0; sizeBytes: 0
    storage_test.go:699: unexpected error: error in SearchMetricNames: cannot search for tsids, since more than 2 concurrent searches are performed during -1610008847.000 secs; add more CPUs or reduce query load
--- FAIL: TestStorageRegisterMetricNamesConcurrent (0.49s)

I suppose the testsuite is running on a machine with only 2 CPUs and expects more ressources? I've retriggered the test but I'm concerned this excercise might be a waste of resources. Does anyone share this concern and/or has any thoughts on how to avoid this?

Best,
-rt

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 11:31 AM Reinhard Tartler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool, thanks.

2021-01-07T08:40:46.015Z	info	VictoriaMetrics/lib/mergeset/table.go:203	table "/tmp/autopkgtest.a1SU4e/autopkgtest_tmp/_build/src/github.com/VictoriaMetrics/VictoriaMetrics/lib/storage/TestStorageRegisterMetricNamesConcurrent/indexdb/1657E67DA0CA2C97" has been opened in 0.002 seconds; partsCount: 0; blocksCount: 0, itemsCount: 0; sizeBytes: 0
    storage_test.go:699: unexpected error: error in SearchMetricNames: cannot search for tsids, since more than 2 concurrent searches are performed during -1610008847.000 secs; add more CPUs or reduce query load
--- FAIL: TestStorageRegisterMetricNamesConcurrent (0.49s)

Maybe the test machine doesn't have enough CPUs for these tests? Can we retry the failing tests on larger machines?

-rt

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 3:32 AM Lukasz Zemczak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Reinhard,

I see that at least golang-github-canonical-go-dqlite seems like a
good candidate to hint with a force-reset-test - I'll do that later
today (as it only passed *once* in its whole testing history, so it's
not a reliable testsuite).
I have retried one of the failures there and will try seeing if the
other failures make any sense.

Cheers,

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 at 22:11, Reinhard Tartler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I couple of golang packages I care deeply about are stuck in hirsute-proposed due to autopkgtest failures that I had a hard time understanding. I've come to the conclusion that the problem must be related to https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/hirsute/update_excuses.html#golang-golang-x-sys
>
> It seems that there are regressions in the following packages:
>
> - golang-github-canonical-go-dqlite
> - golang-github-lucas-clemente-quic-go
> - golang-google-grpc
>
> I'm not familiar with those testsuites, but on the first look, there might be timing issues.
>
> I'd appreciate some thoughts/comments on helping golang-golang-x-sys migrate to hirsute.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> regards,
>     Reinhard

Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak
 Foundations Team
 [hidden email]
 www.canonical.com

--
regards,
    Reinhard

--
regards,
    Reinhard

Re: helping golang-golang-x-sys to migrate

Brian Murray-4
On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 07:56:38AM -0500, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> Another week has passed, and the original issues seem to have been resolved
> by retrying. Thanks for everyone involved in that.
>
> In the mean time, a new test regression occurred at
> https://autopkgtest.ubuntu.com/packages/victoriametrics/hirsute/amd64, log
> can be seen at
> https://objectstorage.prodstack4-5.canonical.com/v1/AUTH_77e2ada1e7a84929a74ba3b87153c0ac/autopkgtest-hirsute/hirsute/amd64/v/victoriametrics/20210107_084114_85c06@/log.gz
>
> 2021-01-07T08:40:46.015Z info VictoriaMetrics/lib/mergeset/table.go:203 table
> "/tmp/autopkgtest.a1SU4e/autopkgtest_tmp/_build/src/github.com/VictoriaMetrics/VictoriaMetrics/lib/storage/TestStorageRegisterMetricNamesConcurrent/indexdb/1657E67DA0CA2C97"
> has been opened in 0.002 seconds; partsCount: 0; blocksCount: 0,
> itemsCount: 0; sizeBytes: 0
>     storage_test.go:699: unexpected error: error in SearchMetricNames:
> cannot search for tsids, since more than 2 concurrent searches are
> performed during -1610008847.000 secs; add more CPUs or reduce query
> load
> --- FAIL: TestStorageRegisterMetricNamesConcurrent (0.49s)
>

> I suppose the testsuite is running on a machine with only 2 CPUs and
> expects more ressources? I've retriggered the test but I'm concerned this
> excercise might be a waste of resources. Does anyone share this concern
> and/or has any thoughts on how to avoid this?

While the victoriametrics test passed in its latest run, its worth
mentioning that you can control the size of machine upon which the tests
are run[1] by updating the autopkgtest-cloud code.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ProposedMigration#autopkgtests

Cheers,

Brian

Brian Murray