how much space are my .isos taking up?

Dave Stevens
I was surprised when I ran "locate .iso" to see twenty or so in the
list. Does anyone know a handy way to get a listing with file sizes?

tia

Dave

Re: how much space are my .isos taking up?

Gene Heskett-2
On Tuesday 30 October 2018 22:47:30 Dave Stevens wrote:

> I was surprised when I ran "locate .iso" to see twenty or so in the
> list. Does anyone know a handy way to get a listing with file sizes?
>
> tia
>
> Dave

Try something like this:

#> ls -l `locate *.iso`

Note that those are backticks, below the tilde on a US keyboard. They
contain the response from locate, backfeeding to the ls -l.

And that if you also want a total file count, append a "|wc -l" to the
above command line, without the dbl-quotes of course. :)

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: how much space are my .isos taking up?

First Name Last Name
Go to edit and find Preferences in the drop down menu.
Click on Preferences.
Find the tab for List Columns.
Check mark Size.
Close out the sub-menu.
You should now see the size of every file listed under the icon or by the listing for that file.

- - - - -

- "Authority that can not be questioned is tyranny" - Sir Terry Pratchett

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.   Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 8:53 PM Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tuesday 30 October 2018 22:47:30 Dave Stevens wrote:

> I was surprised when I ran "locate .iso" to see twenty or so in the
> list. Does anyone know a handy way to get a listing with file sizes?
>
> tia
>
> Dave

Try something like this:

#> ls -l `locate *.iso`

Note that those are backticks, below the tilde on a US keyboard. They
contain the response from locate, backfeeding to the ls -l.

And that if you also want a total file count, append a "|wc -l" to the
above command line, without the dbl-quotes of course. :)

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: how much space are my .isos taking up?

Colin Watson
On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 11:50:40PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 October 2018 22:47:30 Dave Stevens wrote:
> > I was surprised when I ran "locate .iso" to see twenty or so in the
> > list. Does anyone know a handy way to get a listing with file sizes?
>
> Try something like this:
>
> #> ls -l `locate *.iso`
>
> Note that those are backticks, below the tilde on a US keyboard. They
> contain the response from locate, backfeeding to the ls -l.

More robust against file names containing spaces:

  locate -0 .iso | xargs -0 ls -ld

Re: how much space are my .isos taking up?

Robert Heller
At Tue, 30 Oct 2018 19:47:30 -0700 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was surprised when I ran "locate .iso" to see twenty or so in the
> list. Does anyone know a handy way to get a listing with file sizes?

locate .iso | xargs ls -lh

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

At Wed, 31 Oct 2018 11:23:35 +0000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 11:50:40PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday 30 October 2018 22:47:30 Dave Stevens wrote:
> > > I was surprised when I ran "locate .iso" to see twenty or so in the
> > > list. Does anyone know a handy way to get a listing with file sizes?
> >
> > Try something like this:
> >
> > #> ls -l `locate *.iso`
> >
> > Note that those are backticks, below the tilde on a US keyboard. They
> > contain the response from locate, backfeeding to the ls -l.
>
> More robust against file names containing spaces:
>
>   locate -0 .iso | xargs -0 ls -ld

+1

also, additional pipeline elements (awk, bc, etc.) can be used to produce a
total, if that is desired.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: how much space are my .isos taking up?

Dave Stevens
On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 21:49:47 -0700
First Name Last Name <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Go to edit and find Preferences in the drop down menu.
> Click on Preferences.
> Find the tab for List Columns.
> Check mark Size.
> Close out the sub-menu.
> You should now see the size of every file listed under the icon or by
> the listing for that file.
>
> - - - - -

got it now, thanks for all answers!

> - "Authority that can not be questioned is tyranny" - Sir Terry
> Pratchett
>
> -  *Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
> conscientious stupidity.*   Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love,
> 1963
>

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 8:53 PM Gene Heskett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 30 October 2018 22:47:30 Dave Stevens wrote:
> >
> > > I was surprised when I ran "locate .iso" to see twenty or so in
> > > the list. Does anyone know a handy way to get a listing with file
> > > sizes?
> > >
> > > tia
> > >
> > > Dave
> >
> > Try something like this:
> >
> > #> ls -l `locate *.iso`
> >
> > Note that those are backticks, below the tilde on a US keyboard.
> > They contain the response from locate, backfeeding to the ls -l.
> >
> > And that if you also want a total file count, append a "|wc -l" to
> > the above command line, without the dbl-quotes of course. :)
> >
> > --
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> >
> > --

In modern fantasy (literary or governmental), killing people is the
usual solution to the so-called war between good and evil. My books are
not conceived in terms of such a war, and offer no simple answers to
simplistic questions.

----- Ursula Le Guin