how to start particular desktop with startx

how to start particular desktop with startx

Harry Putnam
Setup:
Fresh install of ubuntu 20.04.1 in vm using vbox

1: I really want lubuntu desktop and not the defaults you get when
   installing ubuntu.

2: Also I really like to start in console mode and go to X using startx
   when needed.

3: (Most important) I want to have zfs on root which precludes
   installing from the lubuntu installer which makes no provision for
   installing zfs on root during install.

With thos 3 ends in mind.  I installed ubuntu using the zfs options.
I worked very well.

Once I had ubuntu with zfs going I installed the lubuntu-desktop

On boot, I had a chance to pick which desktop I wanted during login.

Ok, lubuntu is my desktop long as I boot to gui.

However I want to boot to console so made the necessary edits to
/etc/default/grub and set
   `systemctl set-default multi-user.target'

Booting to console works fine, however when I call `startx' it puts me
into the ubuntu default desktop but I want the lubuntu desktop.

And now the punch line
What can I put into ~/.xinitrc to allow startx to start lubuntu desktop?

Re: how to start particular desktop with startx

Liam Proven
On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 18:40, Harry Putnam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Setup:
> Fresh install of ubuntu 20.04.1 in vm using vbox
>
> 1: I really want lubuntu desktop and not the defaults you get when
>    installing ubuntu.

So don't install the full GNOME version, then.

> 2: Also I really like to start in console mode and go to X using startx
>    when needed.

Fine. So install Ubuntu Server then.

> 3: (Most important) I want to have zfs on root which precludes
>    installing from the lubuntu installer which makes no provision for
>    installing zfs on root during install.
>
> With thos 3 ends in mind.  I installed ubuntu using the zfs options.
> I worked very well.

But it's not what you want.

> Once I had ubuntu with zfs going I installed the lubuntu-desktop

Why not install bare Ubuntu Server and then add the lubuntu-desktop metapackage?

> On boot, I had a chance to pick which desktop I wanted during login.
>
> Ok, lubuntu is my desktop long as I boot to gui.
>
> However I want to boot to console so made the necessary edits to
> /etc/default/grub and set
>    `systemctl set-default multi-user.target'
>
> Booting to console works fine, however when I call `startx' it puts me
> into the ubuntu default desktop but I want the lubuntu desktop.

Don't install stuff you don't want.

Install Ubuntu Server onto ZFS, then add the X.org and Lubuntu packages.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Liam Proven <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 18:40, Harry Putnam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Setup:
>> Fresh install of ubuntu 20.04.1 in vm using vbox
>>
>> 1: I really want lubuntu desktop and not the defaults you get when
>>    installing ubuntu.
>
> So don't install the full GNOME version, then.
>
>> 2: Also I really like to start in console mode and go to X using startx
>>    when needed.

[...]

> Why not install bare Ubuntu Server and then add the lubuntu-desktop
> metapackage?

I understood the server installer does not have the handy zfs options
found on desktop installer... is that incorrect?

[...]

> Install Ubuntu Server onto ZFS, then add the X.org and Lubuntu packages.

That last sounds like you are confident that zfs options are present
on server?

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 14:58, Harry Putnam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That last sounds like you are confident that zfs options are present
> on server?

No, I am not. I am running a single server with ZFS "in production"
(inasmuch as it's my home NAS server) but I am not booting off ZFS.

But there are instructions online:

https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/Getting%20Started/Ubuntu/Ubuntu%2020.04%20Root%20on%20ZFS.html

Found via:

https://www.reddit.com/r/zfs/comments/grczim/ubuntu_2004_root_on_zfs_howto/

via

https://www.reddit.com/r/zfs/comments/gf765e/ubuntu_2004_on_zfs_root_without_graphical/

Also see:

https://www.medo64.com/2020/05/installing-encrypted-uefi-zfs-root-on-ubuntu-20-04/

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Re: how to start particular desktop with startx

Harry Putnam
Liam Proven <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 14:58, Harry Putnam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That last sounds like you are confident that zfs options are present
>> on server?
>
> No, I am not. I am running a single server with ZFS "in production"
> (inasmuch as it's my home NAS server) but I am not booting off ZFS.
>
> But there are instructions online:

[...]

Perhaps you noticed the plethora of instructions and the many labor
intensive steps ... compared to just a few things to do when its built
into the install media as in the 20.04 desktop.

So I'm still wanting to get my new zfs server setup to my
desires... not interested in restarting the whole thing and working my
way thru it all.

Can any one offer help about:
How to edit ~/.initrc so that when I type `startx' from console the
installed lubuntu-desktop starts up instead of the default ubuntu desktop.

Re: how to start particular desktop with startx

Little Girl
Hey there,

Harry Putnam wrote:

>Can any one offer help about:
>How to edit ~/.initrc so that when I type `startx' from console the
>installed lubuntu-desktop starts up instead of the default ubuntu
>desktop.

Can you type startlxqt instead of startx when you're in the console?

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Little Girl wrote:

>Can you type startlxqt instead of startx when you're in the console?

I should have said:

Can you type startlxqt or startlxde instead of startx when you're in
the console?

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 17:55, Harry Putnam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps you noticed the plethora of instructions and the many labor
> intensive steps ... compared to just a few things to do when its built
> into the install media as in the 20.04 desktop.

Firstly, if you ask for help doing something, and someone gives it,
then it is ungrateful and rude to complain that it is too long or too
complicated.

Secondly, if you read the links I provided, you will see that there
are also instructions in there for how to remove GNOME.

> So I'm still wanting to get my new zfs server setup to my
> desires... not interested in restarting the whole thing and working my
> way thru it all.

Well, I am sorry, but tough. It sounds to me like you did it wrongly
(or at least poorly) in the first place. If you want to fix it, do it
right.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Re: how to start particular desktop with startx

Harry Putnam
Liam Proven <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 17:55, Harry Putnam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps you noticed the plethora of instructions and the many labor
>> intensive steps ... compared to just a few things to do when its built
>> into the install media as in the 20.04 desktop.
>
> Firstly, if you ask for help doing something, and someone gives it,
> then it is ungrateful and rude to complain that it is too long or too
> complicated.

You didn't offer help for what I'm doing... you offered what you would
do I guess.  Thanks for the non-answers and you should know that it is
not rude to explain why the help if a bit off base...
Especially when the the alleged helper is a windbag.

Little Girl <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hey there,
>
> Little Girl wrote:
>
>>Can you type startlxqt instead of startx when you're in the console?
>
> I should have said:
>
> Can you type startlxqt or startlxde instead of startx when you're in
> the console?

Thank you,

Yes, of course, but my hope is to start the lubuntu-desktop
environment.  Even though lubuntu uses lxqt if has many other features
as well.

I did find that by starting `sddm' window manager... the desktop comes
up in lubuntu-desktop env.  It also provides a chance to change to
several other desktops.

The one thing I notice though is that it is a long and slow process to
get to X compared to what you would get with just using startx and
having it call the right stuff to start lubuntu-desktop.

Re: how to start particular desktop with startx

Karl Auer
On Sat, 2020-10-03 at 11:11 -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Especially when the the alleged helper is a windbag.

How about a little respect?

Liam has been on this list for nearly fifteen years. In that time he's
answered (or helped to answer, or tried to answer) hundreds of
questions, simple and complex. Pick a random month in the list archive
and chances are that you will find Liam was there.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer

GPG fingerprint: 2561 E9EC D868 E73C 8AF1 49CF EE50 4B1D CCA1 5170
Old fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D

Harry Putnam wrote:
>Little Girl writes:

>> Can you type startlxqt or startlxde instead of startx when you're
>> in the console?

>Thank you,

Any time.

>Yes, of course, but my hope is to start the lubuntu-desktop
>environment.  Even though lubuntu uses lxqt if has many other
>features as well.

Okay. I'm not quite sure how that's done.

>I did find that by starting `sddm' window manager... the desktop
>comes up in lubuntu-desktop env.  It also provides a chance to
>change to several other desktops.

So sddm works, but does more than you want it to, right?

>The one thing I notice though is that it is a long and slow process
>to get to X compared to what you would get with just using startx and
>having it call the right stuff to start lubuntu-desktop.

I've got two pages for you that might help:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/243195/what-desktop-environment-does-startx-run-and-how-can-i-change-it

and:

https://superuser.com/questions/671169/starting-and-stopping-x11-and-lxde-from-command-line

Then there's this third page that looks like it will help, because it
goes into great detail on (and provides example scripts for) a variety
of ways to start the GUI, with special mention of window managers,
which seems to be what you're after:

https://tldp.org/HOWTO/XWindow-User-HOWTO/runningx.html

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: how to start particular desktop with startx

Harry Putnam
Little Girl <[hidden email]> writes:

[...] snipped good comments, and I see you've understood what I'm after.

> I've got two pages for you that might help:
>
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/243195/what-desktop-environment-does-startx-run-and-how-can-i-change-it

Excellent, yes.  I'd seen a briefer form of that article somewhere but
it had no details as are found there.

> https://tldp.org/HOWTO/XWindow-User-HOWTO/runningx.html

Oh man, this is the stuff here.  Repleat with detail and example
scripts.

Thank you sir for the excellent help... very good stuff.

Harry Putnam wrote:
>Little Girl writes:

>[...] snipped good comments, and I see you've understood what I'm
>after.

That's always good to know, especially with something like this that
can go in several directions.

>> I've got two pages for you that might help:
>>
>> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/243195/what-desktop-environment-does-startx-run-and-how-can-i-change-it

>Excellent, yes.  I'd seen a briefer form of that article somewhere
>but it had no details as are found there.

Good. I'm glad it's useful.

>> https://tldp.org/HOWTO/XWindow-User-HOWTO/runningx.html
>
>Oh man, this is the stuff here.  Repleat with detail and example
>scripts.

Heh. That's pretty much how I feel about their material, too. They do
a great job explaining things and go deep in their quest to explore
each topic.

>Thank you sir for the excellent help... very good stuff.

Any time. I hope it's all smooth sailing now.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.