hp laserjet 1200

mjewell
This is a printer question.  The printer prints very, very slowly with
long pauses between pages.  If a test page is sent to the printer, the
following message prints:

PCL XL error
  Subsystem:  KERNEL
  Error:      IllegalAttributeDataType
  Operator:   SetLineDash
  Position:   12

The printer is hp laserjet 1200 attached to a machine running Ubuntu
5.10.  The printer was installed by using the "printing" menu item under
the System menu.  Add Printer was clicked.  The printer was not
detected.  HP laserjet 1200 was selected.    USB Port # 1 was selected.
The recommended driver was selected.

Under the "services" menu item in the System menu, "Printer services
(cupsys) is selected.

Re: hp laserjet 1200

Alexander Jacob Tsykin
Have you used the HPLIP drivers or the ones which came with Ubuntu. If
you're using the standard ones,then change to the HPLIP drivers. You can
get them from hpinkjet.sourceforge.net

Re: hp laserjet 1200

mjewell
On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 22:40 +1100, Sasha Tsykin wrote:
> Have you used the HPLIP drivers or the ones which came with Ubuntu. If
> you're using the standard ones,then change to the HPLIP drivers. You can
> get them from hpinkjet.sourceforge.net

THANK YOU!  It sounds like I am using the wrong driver.  I haven't
changed drivers before using Ubuntu.  Are there instructions for getting
the package from Sourcefourge and installing it automatically or does it
need to be done from a terminal?

Re: hp laserjet 1200

paul cooke
On Thursday 22 December 2005 19:12, mjewell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 22:40 +1100, Sasha Tsykin wrote:
> > Have you used the HPLIP drivers or the ones which came with Ubuntu. If
> > you're using the standard ones,then change to the HPLIP drivers. You can
> > get them from hpinkjet.sourceforge.net
>
> THANK YOU!  It sounds like I am using the wrong driver.  I haven't
> changed drivers before using Ubuntu.  Are there instructions for getting
> the package from Sourcefourge and installing it automatically or does it
> need to be done from a terminal?

the instructions are here:

http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/install.php

and yes, you will need to get down and dirty with a command prompt ;)

note, for the debian instructions, use sudo before every command that requires
root. sudo don't work in Ubuntu unless you've set a root password.

Re: hp laserjet 1200

Phillip Sc. Boegh
> On Thursday 22 December 2005 19:12, mjewell wrote:
>> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 22:40 +1100, Sasha Tsykin wrote:
>> > Have you used the HPLIP drivers or the ones which came with Ubuntu. If
>> > you're using the standard ones,then change to the HPLIP drivers. You
>> can
>> > get them from hpinkjet.sourceforge.net
>> THANK YOU!  It sounds like I am using the wrong driver.  I haven't
>> changed drivers before using Ubuntu.  Are there instructions for getting
>> the package from Sourcefourge and installing it automatically or does it
>> need to be done from a terminal?
> the instructions are here:
> http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/install.php
> and yes, you will need to get down and dirty with a command prompt ;)

But you can do it more easy using this description from:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HpPscHpPhotosmartSeriesAllInOnePrinters?highlight=%28printer%29

and you have the scanningprocess running like xsane at the same time!

Have fun

Phillip