hp probook 4515s going rebooting when I click Shutdown

hp probook 4515s going rebooting when I click Shutdown

Кондурян Сергей Петрович
I have HP ProBook 4515s with SLED 11 preinstalled.
I have installed Ubuntu Desktop 10.04.2 i386 and update system with
Update Manager.
Now when I'm press Shutdown in upper right corner computer is rebooting.
In 10.10 and SLED/openSUSE it was OK. What is could be?
Sorry for bad English

Re: hp probook 4515s going rebooting when I click Shutdown

NoOp-4
On 03/05/2011 08:19 AM, Сергей Кондурян wrote:
> I have HP ProBook 4515s with SLED 11 preinstalled.
> I have installed Ubuntu Desktop 10.04.2 i386 and update system with
> Update Manager.
> Now when I'm press Shutdown in upper right corner computer is rebooting.
> In 10.10 and SLED/openSUSE it was OK. What is could be?
> Sorry for bad English

Possible hardware issue? I was having the same issue on one of my
desktops and found out that one of my nic cards had gone bad. No matter
what I attempted (upgraded bios, ensured Wake On Lan was off, kernel
ACPI etc. modifications, it would still reboot. On occassion it would
even do it in WinXP (dual boot system) & then finally did it every time
even in WinXP. It would also do it from the Ubuntu liveCD. I finally
resolved my stripping the machine of every peripheral device with the
exception of the CD drive & putting each card (SCSI, Video, etc) back in
one at a time. It was only when I put the nic card back in the problem
appeared again. So, I replaced the nic card & all is well again.

I realise that it will be considerably harder to pin down a similar
hardware issue with a laptop so you might try checking your bios
settings & also check to see if it occurs with a liveCD. If the liveCD
is OK, then look for power setting issues (acpi etc).

And I see that you've entered a question(s):
on launchpad & received no responses.

В Сбт, 05/03/2011 в 18:36 -0800, NoOp пишет:

> On 03/05/2011 08:19 AM, Сергей Кондурян wrote:
> > I have HP ProBook 4515s with SLED 11 preinstalled.
> > I have installed Ubuntu Desktop 10.04.2 i386 and update system with
> > Update Manager.
> > Now when I'm press Shutdown in upper right corner computer is rebooting.
> > In 10.10 and SLED/openSUSE it was OK. What is could be?
> > Sorry for bad English
> >

> Possible hardware issue? I was having the same issue on one of my
> desktops and found out that one of my nic cards had gone bad. No matter
> what I attempted (upgraded bios, ensured Wake On Lan was off, kernel
> ACPI etc. modifications, it would still reboot. On occassion it would
> even do it in WinXP (dual boot system) & then finally did it every time
> even in WinXP. It would also do it from the Ubuntu liveCD. I finally
> resolved my stripping the machine of every peripheral device with the
> exception of the CD drive & putting each card (SCSI, Video, etc) back in
> one at a time. It was only when I put the nic card back in the problem
> appeared again. So, I replaced the nic card & all is well again.
>
> I realise that it will be considerably harder to pin down a similar
> hardware issue with a laptop so you might try checking your bios
> settings & also check to see if it occurs with a liveCD. If the liveCD
> is OK, then look for power setting issues (acpi etc).
>
> And I see that you've entered a question(s):
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/147946
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/147940
> on launchpad & received no responses.

In Windows/SLED 11/openSUSE (I have check this only ) everything is OK,
even in Ubuntu 10.10. So it's strange. I think Hardware is fully
supported because notebook was with SLED 11 preinstalled. And I've take
a look this http://www.linlap.com/wiki/hp+probook+4515s and all hardware
is fully supported.

On 03/05/2011 11:12 PM, Сергей Кондурян wrote:
> В Сбт, 05/03/2011 в 18:36 -0800, NoOp пишет:
>> And I see that you've entered a question(s):
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/147946
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/147940
>> on launchpad & received no responses.

> In Windows/SLED 11/openSUSE (I have check this only ) everything is OK,
> even in Ubuntu 10.10. So it's strange. I think Hardware is fully
> supported because notebook was with SLED 11 preinstalled. And I've take
> a look this http://www.linlap.com/wiki/hp+probook+4515s and all hardware
> is fully supported.

Which kernel on 10.04? If it is standard 2.6.32, then you might try the
same kernel that works for you on 10.10 by enabling the backports
(System|Administration|Synaptic|Settings|Repositories|Updates|tick
'Unsuported updates (lucid-backports)'|Close|Reload. Then in the search
box enter: 2.6.35 & tick the box on 'linux-headers-2.6.35-25-generic.
That will also pull in the headers. Then click 'Apply'. You'll need to
reboot afterwards & select the 2.6.35 kernel at the grub menu. If that
works for you, then I'd recommend searching:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs
with 'reboot +lucid' in the search box to see if there is a bug already
filed.

Maybe:
ATI graphic card related?