i386 EOL plans for Kubuntu?

Bryan Quigley-2
Hi all,

From the thread on Ubuntu-devel/discuss [1] I'm going to start
conversations with each flavor on what their plans are for i386 in the
18.04 timeframe.  Also see the survey [2] results to get a rough idea
of the impact.

The general ideas are:
A. Drop kubuntu i386 ISO for 16.10 and drop some packages from
the i386 archive - like kwin/kwayland*.
B.  Just drop kubuntu i386 ISO for 16.10.
C.  Keep everything as is for 18.04, and then consider dropping i386
in 18.10 timeframe.

Thoughts?
Bryan

* You could consider any packages that are 100% specific to the Kubuntu flavor.

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2016-June/039420.html

[2] These results are Kubuntu specific (22 of the 300 responses).
Given the lower response rate I would guess that less Kubuntu users
use i386 to begin with.  Over half of the Kubuntu responses are from
64-bit capable machines but using i386 due to memory or other
constraints.

How long do you expect this machine to last?
at least 1 year - 3
at least 3 years - 11
at least 5 years - 5
at least 7 years - 3

What would be the effect if support ended... (1 is no impact, 5 is
significant impact)
April 2019 (16.04 LTS support ends here for Kubuntu - 3 year LTS)
1 - 7
2 - 3
3 - 3
4 - 3
5 - 5

April 2021
1 - 12
3 - 3
4 - 2
5 - 2

April 2023
1 - 13
2 - 4
3 - 2

Re: i386 EOL plans for Kubuntu?

Bryan Quigley-2
Sorry for the late notice - there is a live discussion scheduled for
this Wednesday on this topic for any flavors that want to further the
discussion.

http://summit.ubuntu.com/uos-16 11/meeting/22714/architecture-discussions/

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Bryan Quigley
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> From the thread on Ubuntu-devel/discuss [1] I'm going to start
> conversations with each flavor on what their plans are for i386 in the
> 18.04 timeframe.  Also see the survey [2] results to get a rough idea
> of the impact.
>
> The general ideas are:
> A. Drop kubuntu i386 ISO for 16.10 and drop some packages from
> the i386 archive - like kwin/kwayland*.
> B.  Just drop kubuntu i386 ISO for 16.10.
> C.  Keep everything as is for 18.04, and then consider dropping i386
> in 18.10 timeframe.
>
> Thoughts?
> Bryan
>
> * You could consider any packages that are 100% specific to the Kubuntu flavor.
>
> [1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2016-June/039420.html
>
> [2] These results are Kubuntu specific (22 of the 300 responses).
> Given the lower response rate I would guess that less Kubuntu users
> use i386 to begin with.  Over half of the Kubuntu responses are from
> 64-bit capable machines but using i386 due to memory or other
> constraints.
>
> How long do you expect this machine to last?
> at least 1 year - 3
> at least 3 years - 11
> at least 5 years - 5
> at least 7 years - 3
>
> What would be the effect if support ended... (1 is no impact, 5 is
> significant impact)
> April 2019 (16.04 LTS support ends here for Kubuntu - 3 year LTS)
> 1 - 7
> 2 - 3
> 3 - 3
> 4 - 3
> 5 - 5
>
> April 2021
> 1 - 12
> 3 - 3
> 4 - 2
> 5 - 2
>
> April 2023
> 1 - 13
> 2 - 4
> 3 - 2

Re: i386 EOL plans for Kubuntu?

ovidiub13
I'd propose we don't drop the 32bit release. In fact, I'd also propose that we prepare it with a 32bit EFI support for those special little snowflakes out there.

Ovidiu - Florin BOGDAN

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> From the thread on Ubuntu-devel/discuss [1] I'm going to start
> conversations with each flavor on what their plans are for i386 in the
> 18.04 timeframe.  Also see the survey [2] results to get a rough idea
> of the impact.
>
> The general ideas are:
> A. Drop kubuntu i386 ISO for 16.10 and drop some packages from
> the i386 archive - like kwin/kwayland*.
> B.  Just drop kubuntu i386 ISO for 16.10.
> C.  Keep everything as is for 18.04, and then consider dropping i386
> in 18.10 timeframe.
>
> Thoughts?
> Bryan
>
> * You could consider any packages that are 100% specific to the Kubuntu flavor.
>
> [1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2016-June/039420.html
>
> [2] These results are Kubuntu specific (22 of the 300 responses).
> Given the lower response rate I would guess that less Kubuntu users
> use i386 to begin with.  Over half of the Kubuntu responses are from
> 64-bit capable machines but using i386 due to memory or other
> constraints.
>
> How long do you expect this machine to last?
> at least 1 year - 3
> at least 3 years - 11
> at least 5 years - 5
> at least 7 years - 3
>
> What would be the effect if support ended... (1 is no impact, 5 is
> significant impact)
> April 2019 (16.04 LTS support ends here for Kubuntu - 3 year LTS)
> 1 - 7
> 2 - 3
> 3 - 3
> 4 - 3
> 5 - 5
>
> April 2021
> 1 - 12
> 3 - 3
> 4 - 2
> 5 - 2
>
> April 2023
> 1 - 13
> 2 - 4
> 3 - 2

Re: i386 EOL plans for Kubuntu?

Marco Parillo
It does appear to be fading away.

For my personal use case, I had to change my bios to support 64-bit guest VMs on my work Win7 box. Good thing they have not locked down my BIOS, or I would have been restricted to 32-bit guests.