i386 ISO tests

Valorie Zimmerman
Hi all, I completed the i386 tests I could complete, and filed bugs
about the problems I encountered. Of course all these tests were done
on 64-bit machine, so I don't know if they are worthwhile at all.

We need tests on 32-bit software.

Even still, there are some tests I could not complete:

* Install (auto-resize) -- the option does not appear in my choices.

* Install (manual partitioning) - possibly because I have done this so
few times.

* Install (OEM setup) -- again, I was unable to start the process by
clicking f4.

We need to complete these if possible in the next few hours.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: i386 ISO tests

Franklin Weng
Hi,

Valorie Zimmerman 於 2018年03月09日 14:15 寫道:

> Hi all, I completed the i386 tests I could complete, and filed bugs
> about the problems I encountered. Of course all these tests were done
> on 64-bit machine, so I don't know if they are worthwhile at all.
>
> We need tests on 32-bit software.
>
> Even still, there are some tests I could not complete:
>
> * Install (auto-resize) -- the option does not appear in my choices.
>
> * Install (manual partitioning) - possibly because I have done this so
> few times.
>
> * Install (OEM setup) -- again, I was unable to start the process by
> clicking f4.
>
> We need to complete these if possible in the next few hours.
>
> Valorie

I've done some tests too, and now i386 only OEM setup not passed.  I
couldn't start the process either since no option in F4 menu.

--
Franklin Weng
中華民國軟體自由協會理事長

Re: i386 ISO tests

Rik Mills-2
Odd, as it's certainly there in a VM.

https://i.imgur.com/2xkNoNH.png

On 09/03/18 08:56, Franklin Weng wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Valorie Zimmerman 於 2018年03月09日 14:15 寫道:
>> Hi all, I completed the i386 tests I could complete, and filed bugs
>> about the problems I encountered. Of course all these tests were done
>> on 64-bit machine, so I don't know if they are worthwhile at all.
>>
>> We need tests on 32-bit software.
>>
>> Even still, there are some tests I could not complete:
>>
>> * Install (auto-resize) -- the option does not appear in my choices.
>>
>> * Install (manual partitioning) - possibly because I have done this so
>> few times.
>>
>> * Install (OEM setup) -- again, I was unable to start the process by
>> clicking f4.
>>
>> We need to complete these if possible in the next few hours.
>>
>> Valorie
>>

> I've done some tests too, and now i386 only OEM setup not passed.  I
> couldn't start the process either since no option in F4 menu.

Re: i386 ISO tests

Franklin Weng
Odd^2, I got it this time.

But a few hours ago I did see only one option (Normal) in the F4 menu.

There must be something wrong in the iso IMO...

Odd, as it's certainly there in a VM.

https://i.imgur.com/2xkNoNH.png

On 09/03/18 08:56, Franklin Weng wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Valorie Zimmerman 於 2018年03月09日 14:15 寫道:
>> Hi all, I completed the i386 tests I could complete, and filed bugs
>> about the problems I encountered. Of course all these tests were done
>> on 64-bit machine, so I don't know if they are worthwhile at all.
>>
>> We need tests on 32-bit software.
>>
>> Even still, there are some tests I could not complete:
>>
>> * Install (auto-resize) -- the option does not appear in my choices.
>>
>> * Install (manual partitioning) - possibly because I have done this so
>> few times.
>>
>> * Install (OEM setup) -- again, I was unable to start the process by
>> clicking f4.
>>
>> We need to complete these if possible in the next few hours.
>>
>> Valorie
>>

> I've done some tests too, and now i386 only OEM setup not passed.  I
> couldn't start the process either since no option in F4 menu.

Franklin Weng
中華民國軟體自由協會理事長
LibreOffice 導入專家
LibreOffice 法人代表文件基金會董事、認證委員會委員
KDE 協會成員、歐洲自由軟體基金會成員

Re: i386 ISO tests

Franklin Weng
Hi,

I checked i386 iso again, with virtualbox on different laptops and virtual machine on PVE (set to single core kvm32, that might be the closest environment to real i386 machine).

Here are some results:

- The noisy screen problem only happened on the virtualbox on my laptop.  PVE, and virtualbox on other laptops wouldn't have this problem.  However even in my laptop only i386 iso has this problem.  amd64 iso wouldn't.
- The OEM installation options in F4 menu is only unavailable the first time I tried it (after reading Varolie's report).  All the other time it is okay.
- However OEM installation has never been successful.  I saw Rik has already had patches for that.

BTW, now the *real* i386 machine is very rare...  even if there is real i386 machine, the memory is usually not enough for running live.  However I've met a scenario which only i386 iso works: I had classes teaching FOSS and would like to have students install ezgo on virtualbox, which runs on a Windows 7 32-bit system... Orz

Franklin