i915 & screen resolution

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

i915 & screen resolution

Camuzat Sebastien
hi everybody.
Maybe someone could help me. My hp nx6110 laptop has a
i915gm video chipset.

Running ubuntu 5.10 I cannot get higher resolution
than 1024*768.
Ive installed the 915resolution hack patch but did not
succeed in make it run. It indicates the VBIOS
resolutions list, but I cannot get more from this
patch. I'm stuck.
Someone could detail me the procedure to follow ?

Ive also downloaded i915graphics tar drivers from
intel but Im unable to install it (Im basically
newbee, maybe a little step beyond newbee but not more
:-) ).

Which of both methods should be used ?
Thanks for your help.

S?bastien.
(loc : France :-) )



       
               
__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
http://mail.yahoo.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: i915 & screen resolution

chrisccoulson

I use the i915 chipset at 1280x800 on a Sony Vaio laptop. Here is an
extract from my xorg.conf. Maybe it will help you. Look at the
modelines, default color depth, etc.





Section "Device"

        Identifier "Intel Corporation Intel Default Card"

        Driver "i810"

        BusID "PCI:0:2:0"

EndSection



Section "Monitor"

        Identifier "Monitor gen�ico"

        Option "DPMS"

        Modeline "1280x800@60" 83.91 1280 1312 1624 1656 800 816 824 841

EndSection



Section "Screen"

        Identifier "Default Screen"

        Device "Intel Corporation Intel Default Card"

        Monitor "Monitor gen�ico"

        DefaultDepth 24

        SubSection "Display"

                Depth 1

                Modes "1280x800"

        EndSubSection

        SubSection "Display"

                Depth 4

                Modes "1280x800"

        EndSubSection

        SubSection "Display"

                Depth 8

                Modes "1280x800"

        EndSubSection

        SubSection "Display"

                Depth 15

                Modes "1280x800"

        EndSubSection

        SubSection "Display"

                Depth 16

                Modes "1280x800"

        EndSubSection

        SubSection "Display"

                Depth 24

                Modes "1280x800"

        EndSubSection

EndSection


--
kairu0

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: i915 & screen resolution

Oscar Carlsson-2
In reply to this post by Camuzat Sebastien
It doesn't matter what driver you have - to be able to use a higher resolution than 1024x768, you need to have correct refreshrates (VertRefresh and HorizSync)...

Oscar

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:21:12 -0800 (PST)
Camuzat Sebastien <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi everybody.
> Maybe someone could help me. My hp nx6110 laptop has a
> i915gm video chipset.
>
> Running ubuntu 5.10 I cannot get higher resolution
> than 1024*768.
> Ive installed the 915resolution hack patch but did not
> succeed in make it run. It indicates the VBIOS
> resolutions list, but I cannot get more from this
> patch. I'm stuck.
> Someone could detail me the procedure to follow ?
>
> Ive also downloaded i915graphics tar drivers from
> intel but Im unable to install it (Im basically
> newbee, maybe a little step beyond newbee but not more
> :-) ).
>
> Which of both methods should be used ?
> Thanks for your help.
>
> S├ębastien.
> (loc : France :-) )
>
>
>
>
>
> __________________________________
> Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
> http://mail.yahoo.com
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: i915 & screen resolution

Camuzat Sebastien
In reply to this post by chrisccoulson
Thanks for your help!
The xorg.conf file is very similar to what you sent to
me, except for the line 'modeline' (that I added, it
was void).

Actually Ive tried to modify my /etc/x11/xorg.conf
this way but unsuccessfully. I've still got one choice
only in the resolution config listbox. 1024*768 @ 60Hz

I also tried the resolution 1280*1024 (listed by
915resolution -l) but no change.

???
My newbee's comprehension is out !

S?bastien.

--- 'Forum Post <[hidden email]>,
'@wailuku.xlogicgroup.com wrote:

>
> I use the i915 chipset at 1280x800 on a Sony Vaio
> laptop. Here is an
> extract from my xorg.conf. Maybe it will help you.
> Look at the
> modelines, default color depth, etc.
>
>
>
>
>
> Section "Device"
>
> Identifier "Intel Corporation Intel Default Card"
>
> Driver "i810"
>
> BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
>
> EndSection
>
>
>
> Section "Monitor"
>
> Identifier "Monitor gen&#65533;ico"
>
> Option "DPMS"
>
> Modeline "1280x800@60" 83.91 1280 1312 1624 1656
> 800 816 824 841
>
> EndSection
>
>
>
> Section "Screen"
>
> Identifier "Default Screen"
>
> Device "Intel Corporation Intel Default Card"
>
> Monitor "Monitor gen&#65533;ico"
>
> DefaultDepth 24
>
> SubSection "Display"
>
> Depth 1
>
> Modes "1280x800"
>
> EndSubSection
>
> SubSection "Display"
>
> Depth 4
>
> Modes "1280x800"
>
> EndSubSection
>
> SubSection "Display"
>
> Depth 8
>
> Modes "1280x800"
>
> EndSubSection
>
> SubSection "Display"
>
> Depth 15
>
> Modes "1280x800"
>
> EndSubSection
>
> SubSection "Display"
>
> Depth 16
>
> Modes "1280x800"
>
> EndSubSection
>
> SubSection "Display"
>
> Depth 24
>
> Modes "1280x800"
>
> EndSubSection
>
> EndSection
>
>
> --
> kairu0
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
>
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>



               
__________________________________
Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click.
http://farechase.yahoo.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: i915 & screen resolution

chrisccoulson
In reply to this post by Oscar Carlsson-2

Oscar Wrote:
> It doesn't matter what driver you have - to be able to use a higher
> resolution than 1024x768, you need to have correct refreshrates
> (VertRefresh and HorizSync)...

>



Actually, it's a combination of the two. For example, this particular
chipset couldn't get up to the 1280x800 resolution under any
circumstances with the Hoary vanilla i810 driver.



But, in Breezy, the default X server is OK out-of-the-box, just not as
fast as the freedesktop.org compile-your-own i810 driver.


--
kairu0

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users