il.archive.ubuntu.com is too far away?

Tomer
Hi,

After some investigations, it seems that the "download server for Israel" in Ubuntu Software Sources (System - Administration - Software Sources) is il.archive.ubuntu.com, while the server itself is outside of Israel, which make our updates and upgrades very slow. Since ISOC-IL are mirroring the distribution on their servers (http://mirror.isoc.org.il/pub/ubuntu/), and every local Linux expert is manually tweaking the sources.list file to point to ISOC server instead on every installations, I am wondering - is it a known issue or just a mistake? In case this is not intended behavior, I would be happy to open a new issue to inform Canonical we have local mirroring servers which will make the packages downloading at speed of a bullet.

--
Tomer Cohen
http://tomercohen.com

Re: il.archive.ubuntu.com is too far away?

Bugzilla from shahar@shahar-or.co.il
On ש', 2009-05-02 at 20:27 +0300, Tomer Cohen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After some investigations, it seems that the "download server for
> Israel" in Ubuntu Software Sources (System - Administration - Software
> Sources) is il.archive.ubuntu.com, while the server itself is outside
> of Israel, which make our updates and upgrades very slow. Since
> ISOC-IL are mirroring the distribution on their servers
> (http://mirror.isoc.org.il/pub/ubuntu/), and every local Linux expert
> is manually tweaking the sources.list file to point to ISOC server
> instead on every installations, I am wondering - is it a known issue
> or just a mistake? In case this is not intended behavior, I would be
> happy to open a new issue to inform Canonical we have local mirroring
> servers which will make the packages downloading at speed of a

Dear Tomer,

Perhaps telling ISOC about it will be better. They'll choose to register
as the official archive if they pass the criteria.

Many blessings.

--
שחר אור | 050-7966664 | http://www.shahar-or.co.il
   *** שיעורים פרטיים בלינוקס ותכנה חופשית ***

ISOC are listed as an official mirror (see https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+mirror/mirror.isoc.org.il-archive), but not as an official country mirror.

I'm adding Lior Kaplan to the loop. Kaplan, do you think ISOC would like to become the official country mirror? Mirror requirement and configurations are available here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/mirror/2).

--
שחר אור | 050-7966664 | http://www.shahar-or.co.il
  *** שיעורים פרטיים בלינוקס ותכנה חופשית ***

--
Tomer Cohen
http://tomercohen.com
Sent from Haifa, Israel
Fred Allen  - "The last time I saw him he was walking down lover's lane holding his own hand."

Re: il.archive.ubuntu.com is too far away?

Tomer
Hi,

Talking to people won't help with anything, as this is only registration issue. As soon as someone will opt-in for official country-code mirror we will be able to register is as such. I hope that Kaplan will be able to help to solve this issue, and in case he won't I will try looking for different approach.

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 23:26, Dolev Ravid <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I think that the  best way to make this mirror as a "official country mirror" can be by talking with "Ubuntu loco-teams"  (I meaning by the IRC).
Because , this guy's have a lof of power to change process in this issue, so why need we try other way?
If you want I can try to contact them  and I'll send the conversation's log here,

So. what do you think ?

Dolev Ravid
Head of the Israeli LoCo team and founder the Israeli community :-)

--
שחר אור | 050-7966664 | http://www.shahar-or.co.il
  *** שיעורים פרטיים בלינוקס ותכנה חופשית ***

--
Tomer Cohen
http://tomercohen.com
Sent from Haifa, Israel
Fred Allen  - "The last time I saw him he was walking down lover's lane holding his own hand."

--
Tomer Cohen
http://tomercohen.com
Sent from Haifa, Israel
Fred Allen  - "The last time I saw him he was walking down lover's lane holding his own hand."

Re: il.archive.ubuntu.com is too far away?

confiq-2
Hi there
I even didn't know that ISOC has ubuntu REPOs :)
Nice to see that... When you choice to download ISO there is also http://ubuntu.interhost.co.il/ but i didn't find repository on that server

regards