Quantcast

indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

Sebastien Bacher
Hey,

Looking to the most reported raring issues, I noticed that
indicator-weather is listed in there. Investigating the issue I ended on
"https://bugs.launchpad.net/weather-indicator/+bug/1162485: " It is
impossible to add new location to the list ""

The problem is that the code uses a service which has been discontinued
by Yahoo [1]. The services returns a 404 error nowadays, which means
adding a location can't work.

There is another service in place to get a woeid (location code number)
from a city name, but somebody would need to register for an appid key
and port the code to it (I guess the porting should be alright).

Since the indicator seems quite popular I wanted to email the list to
mention the issue before asking for the source to be dropped from raring
(in case anyone wants to step in to fix it). Is there anyone wanting to
have a go at fixing the code?

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

[1] http://where.yahooapis.com/geocode

Re: indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

Barry Warsaw-2
On Apr 19, 2013, at 04:26 PM, Sebastien Bacher wrote:

>Looking to the most reported raring issues, I noticed that indicator-weather
>is listed in there. Investigating the issue I ended on
>"https://bugs.launchpad.net/weather-indicator/+bug/1162485: " It is
>impossible to add new location to the list ""

It's also pretty crashy.  I'd say it crashes for me about once a week, but
then I just restart it and it seems happy again for a while.

>Since the indicator seems quite popular I wanted to email the list to mention
>the issue before asking for the source to be dropped from raring (in case
>anyone wants to step in to fix it). Is there anyone wanting to have a go at
>fixing the code?

Even with all its problems, I still like having a weather indicator on my
desktop.  I'd vote for keeping it for Raring, but giving us through S to fix
the more egregious of the problems, or replacing it with something more
stable.

Time permitting, I'd be willing to work with others to help improve it.

-Barry

Re: indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

Dmitrijs Ledkovs-2
On 19 April 2013 15:26, Sebastien Bacher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Looking to the most reported raring issues, I noticed that indicator-weather
> is listed in there. Investigating the issue I ended on
> "https://bugs.launchpad.net/weather-indicator/+bug/1162485: " It is
> impossible to add new location to the list ""
>
> The problem is that the code uses a service which has been discontinued by
> Yahoo [1]. The services returns a 404 error nowadays, which means adding a
> location can't work.
>
> There is another service in place to get a woeid (location code number) from
> a city name, but somebody would need to register for an appid key and port
> the code to it (I guess the porting should be alright).
>
> Since the indicator seems quite popular I wanted to email the list to
> mention the issue before asking for the source to be dropped from raring (in
> case anyone wants to step in to fix it). Is there anyone wanting to have a
> go at fixing the code?

What exactly does the applet require? We are already running geoip &
location lookup server for datetime indicator and the installer. Can
we simply add remaining bits there?
Or is it actually Yahoos mapping from location -> woeid -> weather data?

There is a new weather app/widget very popular (kept on reviewed on
OMG!Ubuntu) can that simply have an indicator functionality as well?

Regards,

Dmitrijs.

Re: indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

Iain Lane-6

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:46:25AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2013, at 04:26 PM, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
>
> >Looking to the most reported raring issues, I noticed that indicator-weather
> >is listed in there. Investigating the issue I ended on
> >"https://bugs.launchpad.net/weather-indicator/+bug/1162485: " It is
> >impossible to add new location to the list ""
>
> It's also pretty crashy.  I'd say it crashes for me about once a week, but
> then I just restart it and it seems happy again for a while.

I wrote an upstart user session job to automatically respawn it when it
crashes and I've been quite happy with it ever since ;-).

> >Since the indicator seems quite popular I wanted to email the list to mention
> >the issue before asking for the source to be dropped from raring (in case
> >anyone wants to step in to fix it). Is there anyone wanting to have a go at
> >fixing the code?
>
> Even with all its problems, I still like having a weather indicator on my
> desktop.  I'd vote for keeping it for Raring, but giving us through S to fix
> the more egregious of the problems, or replacing it with something more
> stable.
> Time permitting, I'd be willing to work with others to help improve it.
Yeah, me too. There's also indicator-china-weather which I don't think
is a fork but perhaps could be folded back into the main
indicator-weather project, as they seem to have quite similar goals.

Iain Lane                                  [ [hidden email] ]
Debian Developer                                   [ [hidden email] ]
Ubuntu Developer                                   [ [hidden email] ]

On Apr 19, 2013, at 03:57 PM, Iain Lane wrote:

>I wrote an upstart user session job to automatically respawn it when it
>crashes and I've been quite happy with it ever since ;-).

Oh neat!  /me can has? :)

-Barry

Le 19/04/2013 16:50, Dmitrijs Ledkovs a écrit :
> Or is it actually Yahoos mapping from location -> woeid -> weather data?

I'm not that familiar with the code, but from what I saw it basically
that. It seems to simply get datas from the yahoo weather service, which
takes a woeid location code as parameter
(http://developer.yahoo.com/weather/).

That said, it seems the issue would be easy enough to fix, somebody
basically needs to take ownership of the project and get a yahoo appid
key for it, then the code can be updated to use their new service...

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Re: indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

Sebastien Bacher
Hey Barry,

Le 19/04/2013 16:46, Barry Warsaw a écrit :
> Even with all its problems, I still like having a weather indicator on my
> desktop.  I'd vote for keeping it for Raring

I guess you have a configured indicator with your location, right? ;-)

- The current bug makes impossible to configure it/add a location, so
it's basically useless as a new package to install (or you need to get
the woeid code and tweak the config by hand, but if you do that you can
probably as well get the package from a ppa or launchpad library).

- The users who have it installed can keep it, nothing is going to
remove it from your system because we drop it from the archive.

Seeing the number of reports on errors.ubuntu.com, quite some users try
to installed it and ran into the breakage, I think it's less confusing
to just not mark as available something that can't be used in "normal
condition"

What do you think?

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

On Apr 19, 2013, at 06:36 PM, Sebastien Bacher wrote:

>I guess you have a configured indicator with your location, right? ;-)

I do!  But I fear I might forget my umbrella the next time I travel out of my
home location. :)

>The current bug makes impossible to configure it/add a location, so it's
>basically useless as a new package to install (or you need to get the woeid
>code and tweak the config by hand, but if you do that you can probably as
>well get the package from a ppa or launchpad library).
>
>The users who have it installed can keep it, nothing is going to remove it
>from your system because we drop it from the archive.

That's a good point.  Given that as a fresh install, it's currently pretty
useless, I suppose it makes sense to remove it.  OTOH, I don't like making
this decision so close to the release.  Isn't there a chance that someone will
be motivated to do an SRU to fix the most egregious problems later?

-Barry

Re: indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

Tim-2

On 20/04/13 04:25, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2013, at 06:36 PM, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
>
>> I guess you have a configured indicator with your location, right? ;-)
> I do!  But I fear I might forget my umbrella the next time I travel out of my
> home location. :)
>
>> The current bug makes impossible to configure it/add a location, so it's
>> basically useless as a new package to install (or you need to get the woeid
>> code and tweak the config by hand, but if you do that you can probably as
>> well get the package from a ppa or launchpad library).
>>
>> The users who have it installed can keep it, nothing is going to remove it
> >from your system because we drop it from the archive.
>
> That's a good point.  Given that as a fresh install, it's currently pretty
> useless, I suppose it makes sense to remove it.  OTOH, I don't like making
> this decision so close to the release.  Isn't there a chance that someone will
> be motivated to do an SRU to fix the most egregious problems later?
>
> -Barry

Not really an option for Raring, but perhaps it would make sense to use libgweather as the backend for the applet. That has received a fair bit
of attention during the 3.8 cycle due to the new gnome-weather app.

I believe it has Yahoo and Yr.no weather providers.

Tim

Re: indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

Micah Gersten-8
On 04/19/2013 01:25 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2013, at 06:36 PM, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
>
>> I guess you have a configured indicator with your location, right? ;-)
> I do!  But I fear I might forget my umbrella the next time I travel out of my
> home location. :)
>
>> The current bug makes impossible to configure it/add a location, so it's
>> basically useless as a new package to install (or you need to get the woeid
>> code and tweak the config by hand, but if you do that you can probably as
>> well get the package from a ppa or launchpad library).
>>
>> The users who have it installed can keep it, nothing is going to remove it
> >from your system because we drop it from the archive.
>
> That's a good point.  Given that as a fresh install, it's currently pretty
> useless, I suppose it makes sense to remove it.  OTOH, I don't like making
> this decision so close to the release.  Isn't there a chance that someone will
> be motivated to do an SRU to fix the most egregious problems later?

If it's totally broke, let's drop it and backport it if/when it gets
fixed.  A backport will appear in software center just like something in
the main archive if there's no archive version for it AIUI (apt
certainly treats it that way since backports are enabled by default, but
pinned lower).

Micah

Re: indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

Rodney Dawes-5
On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 00:00 -0500, Micah Gersten wrote:
> If it's totally broke, let's drop it and backport it if/when it gets
> fixed.  A backport will appear in software center just like something in
> the main archive if there's no archive version for it AIUI (apt
> certainly treats it that way since backports are enabled by default, but
> pinned lower).

Since when have backports been enabled by default? They are not enabled
on my machine
at least…

Re: indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

Scott Kitterman-3
Rodney Dawes <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 00:00 -0500, Micah Gersten wrote:
>> If it's totally broke, let's drop it and backport it if/when it gets
>> fixed.  A backport will appear in software center just like something
>in
>> the main archive if there's no archive version for it AIUI (apt
>> certainly treats it that way since backports are enabled by default,
>but
>> pinned lower).
>
>Since when have backports been enabled by default? They are not enabled
>on my machine
>at least…

Since Natty, IIRC.

Scott K

Re: indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

Sebastien Bacher-4
Le 19/04/2013 16:26, Sebastien Bacher a écrit :
> Is there anyone wanting to have a go at fixing the code?

Hey,

Quick status update, it seems like there is a new/active upstream for
the project. A new tarball is out which fixes some of the frequent
segfaults and make it work with the new yahoo service:
https://launchpad.net/weather-indicator/2.0/13.05.17

It require a new pywapi version than the one currently in Debian/Ubuntu:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pywapi/+bug/1154858

Does anyone want to work on those updates, so we can get the package
back in saucy?

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Re: indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

Andrew Starr-Bochicchio
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Sebastien Bacher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 19/04/2013 16:26, Sebastien Bacher a écrit :
>
>> Is there anyone wanting to have a go at fixing the code?
>

> Hey,
>
> Quick status update, it seems like there is a new/active upstream for the
> project. A new tarball is out which fixes some of the frequent segfaults and
> make it work with the new yahoo service:
> https://launchpad.net/weather-indicator/2.0/13.05.17
>
> It require a new pywapi version than the one currently in Debian/Ubuntu:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pywapi/+bug/1154858
>
> Does anyone want to work on those updates, so we can get the package back in
> saucy?

Looking into updating pywapi in sid is actually on my TODO for the weekend.

Thanks,

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>
   Debian Developer <http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=asb>
   PGP/GPG Key ID: D53FDCB1

Le 24/05/2013 19:03, Andrew Starr-Bochicchio a écrit :
> Looking into updating pywapi in sid is actually on my TODO for the weekend.

Great, thanks Andrew!

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Re: indicator-weather broken, should we drop it from raring?

Dustin Kirkland-5
So...  pywapi eventually landed in 13.04.  Is there a Unity indicator
that leverages this API now?

indicator-weather was dropped after Quantal, and hasn't resurfaced for
Saucy.  Is there a new alternative for Saucy?
:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland
Ubuntu Core Developer