install ubuntu using something else method - Was: Out of Space

install ubuntu using something else method - Was: Out of Space

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 15:28:46 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

>So what do I do when, after prepping the disk the way I want it,
>partition names assigned and already formatted to ext4, IOW the whole
>maryann and the installer still sees it as a terabyte of unpartitioned
>disk?  Or whatever size the disk is.
>
>fdisk can see it ok, along with a whole catalog of other prep tools.
>But not your installer, why?
>
>Seems like a perfectly valid question to me.  I have made that
>statement several times over this and perhaps 10 other installer
>related threads previously over the last 7 or 8 years, and its the one
>question that seems to be very studiously ignored by all.  And I don't
>feel like we are doing anything more than wasting bandwidth arguing
>back and forth over it until that question IS answered.
>
>I have a new LR drive tire installed on my elderly rider, and I have
>grass over a foot tall.  When I next sit down to read the mail,
>perhaps someone can explain to me what causes this.  But it will be a
>few hours.

Hi Gene,

could you install Ubuntu in a virtual machine and take screenshots of
what is happening?

You could upload the pics at http://picpaste.com/ and post the links.

Assumed you should do this, follow this instruction:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/install-ubuntu-mate-using-something-else-method/651

FWIW virtualbox might not be the best virtualisation, but it's easy to
use.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: install ubuntu using something else method - Was: Out of Space

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 21:48:44 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 15:28:46 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>So what do I do when, after prepping the disk the way I want it,
>>partition names assigned and already formatted to ext4, IOW the whole
>>maryann and the installer still sees it as a terabyte of
>>unpartitioned disk?  Or whatever size the disk is.
>>
>>fdisk can see it ok, along with a whole catalog of other prep tools.
>>But not your installer, why?
>>
>>Seems like a perfectly valid question to me.  I have made that
>>statement several times over this and perhaps 10 other installer
>>related threads previously over the last 7 or 8 years, and its the one
>>question that seems to be very studiously ignored by all.  And I don't
>>feel like we are doing anything more than wasting bandwidth arguing
>>back and forth over it until that question IS answered.
>>
>>I have a new LR drive tire installed on my elderly rider, and I have
>>grass over a foot tall.  When I next sit down to read the mail,
>>perhaps someone can explain to me what causes this.  But it will be a
>>few hours.
>
>Hi Gene,
>
>could you install Ubuntu in a virtual machine and take screenshots of
>what is happening?

You don't need to install it, just take screenshots of what you are
doing, until the usage of pre-formatted partitions fails ;).

--
Death of ROXTerm
https://sourceforge.net/p/roxterm/discussion/422638/thread/60da6975/

Re: install ubuntu using something else method - Was: Out of Space

Richard Barmann

On 08/08/2016 04:13 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 21:48:44 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 15:28:46 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> So what do I do when, after prepping the disk the way I want it,
>>> partition names assigned and already formatted to ext4, IOW the whole
>>> maryann and the installer still sees it as a terabyte of
>>> unpartitioned disk?  Or whatever size the disk is.
>>>
>>> fdisk can see it ok, along with a whole catalog of other prep tools.
>>> But not your installer, why?
>>>
>>> Seems like a perfectly valid question to me.  I have made that
>>> statement several times over this and perhaps 10 other installer
>>> related threads previously over the last 7 or 8 years, and its the one
>>> question that seems to be very studiously ignored by all.  And I don't
>>> feel like we are doing anything more than wasting bandwidth arguing
>>> back and forth over it until that question IS answered.
>>>
>>> I have a new LR drive tire installed on my elderly rider, and I have
>>> grass over a foot tall.  When I next sit down to read the mail,
>>> perhaps someone can explain to me what causes this.  But it will be a
>>> few hours.
>> Hi Gene,
>>
>> could you install Ubuntu in a virtual machine and take screenshots of
>> what is happening?
> You don't need to install it, just take screenshots of what you are
> doing, until the usage of pre-formatted partitions fails ;).
>
>> You could upload the pics at http://picpaste.com/ and post the links.
>>
>> Assumed you should do this, follow this instruction:
>>
>> https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/install-ubuntu-mate-using-something-else-method/651
>>
>> FWIW virtualbox might not be the best virtualisation, but it's easy to
>> use.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ralf
> I can get past the Grub error and the Ubuntu and Kubntu will load partway and then I will gt text errors ending with
(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system
Thaanks
Dick

Re: install ubuntu using something else method - Was: Out of Space

Liam Proven
On 9 August 2016 at 05:45, Barmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I can get past the Grub error and the Ubuntu and Kubntu will load partway
>> and then I will gt text errors ending with
>
> (initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system
> Thaanks
> Dick

That's the error message when a live medium (DVD, USB) won't boot.

You should never see this booting from HD.

What are you trying to boot, from where?

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 13:18:10 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>That's the error message when a live medium (DVD, USB) won't boot.
>
>You should never see this booting from HD.
>
>What are you trying to boot, from where?

The OP already explained that he tries to boot the DVD.

On 9 August 2016 at 19:13, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The OP already explained that he tries to boot the DVD.

As far as I can see, the OP was you.

Gmail threading is a little broken... :-(

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 02:34:39 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>On 9 August 2016 at 19:13, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The OP already explained that he tries to boot the DVD.
>

>As far as I can see, the OP was you.
>
>Gmail threading is a little broken... :-(

The OP of...

"Re: install ubuntu using something else method - Was: Out of Space"
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
..."Out of Space" is Richard. I tried to split the thread, so yes, I
opened the thread "install ubuntu using something else method", but
because this is related to an issue Gene experienced.

IOW I tried to separate the issue of Richard and the issue of Gene,
since this is common practise on other mailing lists.

Again, the OP of the original thread is Richard and then the thread was
hijacked regarding another issue, experienced by Gene, so I opened a
new thread for Gene's issue.

Richard replied to the new thread, instead of using his own thread.

--
Death of ROXTerm
https://sourceforge.net/p/roxterm/discussion/422638/thread/60da6975/

Re: install ubuntu using something else method - Was: Out of Space

Gene Heskett-2

wrote:

> >> The OP already explained that he tries to boot the DVD.
> >
> >As far as I can see, the OP was you.
> >
> >Gmail threading is a little broken... :-(
>
> The OP of...
>
> "Re: install ubuntu using something else method - Was: Out of Space"
>                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ..."Out of Space" is Richard. I tried to split the thread, so yes, I
> opened the thread "install ubuntu using something else method", but
> because this is related to an issue Gene experienced.
>
> IOW I tried to separate the issue of Richard and the issue of Gene,
> since this is common practise on other mailing lists.
>
> Again, the OP of the original thread is Richard and then the thread
> was hijacked regarding another issue, experienced by Gene, so I opened
> a new thread for Gene's issue.

Which I hope is this thread now.

> Richard replied to the new thread, instead of using his own thread.

I have the disk prepared and formatted. Both fdisk and gparted are happy
as clams.  About the only thing I haven't done is labeled the disk,
something I haven't done in about 4 years, but it sure is handy in that
I can put the drive labeled "Amandatapes" on any of the 6 sata sockets
of this motherboard, and it Just Works(TM) when I reboot.

And I have the iso for "Ubuntu 16.04 LTS MATE" for amd64 coming down now.

I'll burn the dvd tomorrow, and see if it will install.  And report
success or the same old failure.

Thanks for all the help on methods, one tidbit at a time, over the last 2
weeks for all the posters since I sorta hijacked the original thread
because I felt my experience so far was related to Richards problem.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 23:08:14 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Again, the OP of the original thread is Richard and then the thread
>> was hijacked regarding another issue, experienced by Gene, so I
>> opened a new thread for Gene's issue.
>
>Which I hope is this thread now.

Yes Sir, it is :).

On Wednesday 10 August 2016 04:33:10 Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 23:08:14 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> Again, the OP of the original thread is Richard and then the thread
> >> was hijacked regarding another issue, experienced by Gene, so I
> >> opened a new thread for Gene's issue.
> >
> >Which I hope is this thread now.
>
> Yes Sir, it is :).
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Ok, I just tried to run the ubuntu-mate-16.04_LTS dvd as a live session.

Unfortunately I was unable to establish a static network connection,
going thru the network settings facilities. Went around that brier patch
10+ times.   I believe because although it was showing me some off the
wall interface names with what looked like ipv6 serial numbers, it
requires a MAC address, and that was unk to my wet ram. I even tried
entering that HWaddr 00:1f:c6:62:fc:bb in the MAC box, no effect.

There is a dhcp server running in the router, but its limited to the MAC
of my lappy, so to the ubuntu-mate 16.04 LTS iso, there was not a usable
dhcp server.  I even tried to edit /etc/network/interfaces, but found it
wasn't writable by me, and I have no clue how to get root perms from the
dvd live boot.

I would, and although it did seem to remember what data I had plugged
into its "add" data fields, have to assume that the user "ubuntu-mate"
simply does not have sufficient rights to setup a static network.  And
no clue how to acquire those rights.  Since the "ubuntu-mate" user is an
automatic login, it seems to be a gotcha engineered in.  Bad dog, no
biscuit.

So obviously I did not try the install, since from several previous
experiences it will NOT succeed w/o a valid network connection when the
install button is clicked.

My whole network is on a 192.168.xx.nn addressing scheme, which means the
router itself is not at 192.168.1.1, but an address that avahi or any
other discovery tools never tries. The router will, IIRC, respond to a
query at its class d using 255 as the last triplet.

So thats my problem at the present time. I'll see if I can setup one dhcp
available address in the router thats available to all, and try it
again, probably tomorrow. Right now I have several hundred sq foot of
weeds to attend to with a weed eater, and a piece of brass that needs
filed to fit with a thousandth tolerance before my "little monster"
lathe can cut threads again.

Well, after about an hour out in 90F weather, the weed eater started
losing power, possibly too hot and or low on fuel, but it matched the
pains in my legs, so both are cooling. My diabeticly poor leg
circulation has the calf muscles screaming for more oxygen when I overdo
it, and this sort of "exercise" qualifies.

Suggestions on setting up a working static network in the live DVD booted
situation will be appreciated in the meantime.

Thanks everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: install ubuntu using something else method - Was: Out of Space

Paul Smith-2
On Wed, 2016-08-10 at 12:47 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I have no clue how to get root perms from the dvd live boot.

Run sudo -s (the -s option asks sudo to give you a shell).

http://www.sudo-juice.com/how-to-set-a-static-ip-in-ubuntu-the-proper-way/

On Wednesday 10 August 2016 13:28:56 Paul Smith wrote:

> On Wed, 2016-08-10 at 12:47 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I have no clue how to get root perms from the dvd live boot.
>
> Run sudo -s (the -s option asks sudo to give you a shell).

And this does not require an unknown pw?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On Wed, 2016-08-10 at 14:18 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 August 2016 13:28:56 Paul Smith wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2016-08-10 at 12:47 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > I have no clue how to get root perms from the dvd live boot.
> >
> > Run sudo -s (the -s option asks sudo to give you a shell).
>
> And this does not require an unknown pw?

Sudo on the live DVD is configured to not require a password.

On Wednesday 10 August 2016 13:37:41 Liam Proven wrote:

> On 10 August 2016 at 18:47, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Unfortunately I was unable to establish a static network connection,
> > going thru the network settings facilities.
>
> http://www.sudo-juice.com/how-to-set-a-static-ip-in-ubuntu-the-proper-
>way/

Thank you Liam, received and printed. And my thanks to the composer(s) of
that web page, the info is all there and saveable by a single print
request.

Way too many web artists just put a link in the text to the most valuable
info, a link that has a similar function to the teats on a boar hog when
you are stuck with a no network situation.  The writer(s) of that page
apparently understand that huge difference, and a tip of my hat goes out
to them.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On 10 August 2016 at 20:44, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you Liam, received and printed.

You're very welcome.

I know I am too snarky and critical sometimes, but honestly, I do want to help!

On Wednesday 10 August 2016 14:43:18 Paul Smith wrote:

> On Wed, 2016-08-10 at 14:18 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > Run sudo -s (the -s option asks sudo to give you a shell).
> >
> > And this does not require an unknown pw?
>
> Sudo on the live DVD is configured to not require a password.

Great, not knowing the pw kept me from even trying.  My bad.

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On Wednesday 10 August 2016 14:46:51 Liam Proven wrote:

> On 10 August 2016 at 20:44, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thank you Liam, received and printed.
>
> You're very welcome.
>
> I know I am too snarky and critical sometimes, but honestly, I do want
> to help!

I tolerate that 95% of the time because I know I can be a stubborn old
coot. So we are definitely on the same page fairly often. And I am not
afraid to look in the mirror when I point my finger & say bad dog, no
biscuit. :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On 10 August 2016 at 22:56, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tolerate that 95% of the time because I know I can be a stubborn old
> coot. So we are definitely on the same page fairly often. And I am not
> afraid to look in the mirror when I point my finger & say bad dog, no
> biscuit. :)

Thank you!

For what it's worth, I think I am one, too. ;-)

On Wednesday 10 August 2016 17:02:11 Liam Proven wrote:

> On 10 August 2016 at 22:56, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I tolerate that 95% of the time because I know I can be a stubborn
> > old coot. So we are definitely on the same page fairly often. And I
> > am not afraid to look in the mirror when I point my finger & say bad
> > dog, no biscuit. :)
>
> Thank you!
>
> For what it's worth, I think I am one, too. ;-)

Chuckle, and I've seen that first hand Liam, its appreciated.  Now back
to our regularly scheduled list mayhem. :) FWIW, you may want to put a
space after the double-dash below, which enables other email agents to
strip the sigs automatically. :)

> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Cell/Mobiles: +44 7939-087884 (UK) • +420 702 829 053 (ČR)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)