installing downloaded file: lIghtscribe

Doug McGarrett
I am new to Kubuntu and to .deb systems in general, but not to Linux. I
have downloaded and installed (several times installed, it says)

but I can't find it in the menu of apps. I want to put an icon for it on
my desktop, so I can use it. (I have the drive and the special disks.)

I can't find a way to put the installed file (if it really is) on the
desktop. When I type to search, I get an invitation to install it but I

think it may be installed several times already. What am I missing?

While I'm at it, there must be a way to find and put KFind on the
desktop, but I don't see that in the menu either. I can type it in, and

then it comes up, but I want to make an icon for it.

Old newbie--doug

Re: installing downloaded file: lIghtscribe

Charles T. Bell
Doug,

You should find it in the "Utilities" menu of the KMenu.  If not then
you should find it in the /usr/bin directory.  Be very careful with
this.  If you don't find it in the "Utilities" menu then you can add it
by <right clicking> on the KMenu and selecting to add a new item in the
section you select.  This is a necessary step before putting it on the
desktop.  Once you have an icon and enter the path to the command in the
command line of the item.

Before you do anything else, make sure the file is not found in the
"Utilities" menu of the KMenu.  Otherwise you could be duplicating
needlessly.

If you still can't find it, then at the commandline type:

apt-cache pkgnames | grep kfind

Good luck!

On 6/2/20 1:04 AM, Doug McGarrett wrote:

> I am new to Kubuntu and to .deb systems in general, but not to Linux.
> I have downloaded and installed (several times installed, it says)
>
> but I can't find it in the menu of apps. I want to put an icon for it
> on my desktop, so I can use it. (I have the drive and the special disks.)
>
> I can't find a way to put the installed file (if it really is) on the
> desktop. When I type to search, I get an invitation to install it but I
>
> think it may be installed several times already. What am I missing?
>
> While I'm at it, there must be a way to find and put KFind on the
> desktop, but I don't see that in the menu either. I can type it in, and
>
> then it comes up, but I want to make an icon for it.
>
> Old newbie--doug

Re: installing downloaded file: lIghtscribe

Doug McGarrett

On 6/2/20 1:04 AM, Doug McGarrett wrote:

> I am new to Kubuntu and to .deb systems in general, but not to Linux.
> I have downloaded and installed (several times installed, it says)
>
> but I can't find it in the menu of apps. I want to put an icon for it
> on my desktop, so I can use it. (I have the drive and the special disks.)
>
> I can't find a way to put the installed file (if it really is) on the
> desktop. When I type to search, I get an invitation to install it but I
>
> think it may be installed several times already. What am I missing?
>
> While I'm at it, there must be a way to find and put KFind on the
> desktop, but I don't see that in the menu either. I can type it in, and
>
> then it comes up, but I want to make an icon for it.
>
> Old newbie--doug

PS: Found KFind in the menu and installed its con to the desktop