installing java libraries

Thufir Hawat
How do you go about "installing" jars?  I'll configure an IDE, netbeans,
to use the jar as a library.

Would I just navigate to:

https://rome.dev.java.net/

and download rome-1.0RC2.jar

to /usr/share/java ?  Seems a bit fragile to set all that up manually.

thanks,

Thufir

Re: installing java libraries

John Hubbard-3
Thufir wrote:

> How do you go about "installing" jars?  I'll configure an IDE, netbeans,
> to use the jar as a library.
>

> Would I just navigate to:
>
> https://rome.dev.java.net/
>
> and download rome-1.0RC2.jar

If you set up netbeans to use them then it doesn't matter where they
are. If you want to be able to use them when you launch a program from
the command line then you just need to add a their location to the
classpath. I am not sure where it is by default. You should be able to
get it with something like:

System.out.println(System.getEnv("classpath"));

Try it and see what comes up.

--
-john

                2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
        0b11000100 || !0b11000100
        0b11000100 || 0b00111011
               0b11111111
        255, that is the answer.

Re: installing java libraries

Derek Broughton-2
Thufir wrote:

> How do you go about "installing" jars?  I'll configure an IDE, netbeans,
> to use the jar as a library.
>

> Would I just navigate to:
>
> https://rome.dev.java.net/
>
> and download rome-1.0RC2.jar
>

> to /usr/share/java ?  Seems a bit fragile to set all that up manually.

Not really, since they're self-contained.  Using apt to install jars seems
like overkill.

Still, most jars are available as lib*-java from the Ubuntu repos.  I try
there first, and if I can't find what I want, I just drop the appropriate
jar into /usr/share/java (otoh, I'm getting away from using java anyway).
--
derek

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:15:48 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Thufir wrote:
>
>> How do you go about "installing" jars?  I'll configure an IDE,
>> netbeans, to use the jar as a library.
[...]
> Not really, since they're self-contained.  Using apt to install jars
> seems like overkill.
>
> Still, most jars are available as lib*-java from the Ubuntu repos.  I
> try there first, and if I can't find what I want, I just drop the
> appropriate jar into /usr/share/java (otoh, I'm getting away from using
> java anyway).

Ok, thanks.  I've just manually installed them for now and will probably
leave it as is.

I may look at the classpath later.

-Thufir