intel_panel_fitter command not found

Jon Danniken
Hello all, I am running Kubuntu 14.04 on a Toshiba Satellite L675 (Intel
i3 380M, Ironlake).

I am trying to correct for overscan on the HDMI output of the laptop, so
I installed intel-gpu-tools in order to use the intel_panel_fitter
application.  Unfortunately, while there is a man page installed for
intel_panel_fitter, running the command itself comes up with "command
not found".

Any ideas why intel_panel_fitter isn't found after installing
intel-gpu-tools?

Jon

Re: intel_panel_fitter command not found

Volker Wysk
Am Sonntag, 10. September 2017, 14:25:15 CEST schrieb Jon Danniken:

> Hello all, I am running Kubuntu 14.04 on a Toshiba Satellite L675 (Intel
> i3 380M, Ironlake).
>
> I am trying to correct for overscan on the HDMI output of the laptop, so
> I installed intel-gpu-tools in order to use the intel_panel_fitter
> application.  Unfortunately, while there is a man page installed for
> intel_panel_fitter, running the command itself comes up with "command
> not found".
>
> Any ideas why intel_panel_fitter isn't found after installing
> intel-gpu-tools?

Try "apt-file search intel_panel_fitter".

Bye
V.W.

On 9/11/17 1:01 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 10. September 2017, 14:25:15 CEST schrieb Jon Danniken:
>> Hello all, I am running Kubuntu 14.04 on a Toshiba Satellite L675 (Intel
>> i3 380M, Ironlake).
>>
>> I am trying to correct for overscan on the HDMI output of the laptop, so
>> I installed intel-gpu-tools in order to use the intel_panel_fitter
>> application.  Unfortunately, while there is a man page installed for
>> intel_panel_fitter, running the command itself comes up with "command
>> not found".
>>
>> Any ideas why intel_panel_fitter isn't found after installing
>> intel-gpu-tools?
> Try "apt-file search intel_panel_fitter".
Thanks Volker.  That returns just a listing of the man file:

$ apt-file search intel_panel_fitter
intel-gpu-tools: /usr/share/man/man1/intel_panel_fitter.1.gz

Am Montag, 11. September 2017, 05:15:18 CEST schrieb Jon Danniken:

> On 9/11/17 1:01 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 10. September 2017, 14:25:15 CEST schrieb Jon Danniken:
> >> Hello all, I am running Kubuntu 14.04 on a Toshiba Satellite L675 (Intel
> >> i3 380M, Ironlake).
> >>
> >> I am trying to correct for overscan on the HDMI output of the laptop, so
> >> I installed intel-gpu-tools in order to use the intel_panel_fitter
> >> application.  Unfortunately, while there is a man page installed for
> >> intel_panel_fitter, running the command itself comes up with "command
> >> not found".
> >>
> >> Any ideas why intel_panel_fitter isn't found after installing
> >> intel-gpu-tools?
> >
> > Try "apt-file search intel_panel_fitter".
>
> Thanks Volker.  That returns just a listing of the man file:
>
> $ apt-file search intel_panel_fitter
> intel-gpu-tools: /usr/share/man/man1/intel_panel_fitter.1.gz

You have done "apt-file update" before, haven't you...

I've found this in the man page (https://www.mankier.com/1/intel_panel_fitter):

    "In the future, there will be support for this feature inside the Linux
    Kernel."

Perhaps this is your case?

Otherwise, you could try to build intel_panel_fitter from the sources:

cd /tmp
apt-get source intel-gpu-tools
cd intel-gpu-tools-1.14

There appears tools/intel_panel_fitter.c, which should be what you are looking
for.

Happy hacking
Volker

Am Montag, 11. September 2017, 14:23:48 CEST schrieb Volker Wysk:
> Otherwise, you could try to build intel_panel_fitter from the sources:
>
> cd /tmp
> apt-get source intel-gpu-tools
> cd intel-gpu-tools-1.14

And then:

apt-get build-dep intel-gpu-tools
./configure
make

Then there should be the "intel_panel_fitter" program have been built, probably
in tools/. It probably doesn't need installation, but you can install it with
a variety of methods.

Bye
V.W.

On 9/11/17 6:23 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> Am Montag, 11. September 2017, 05:15:18 CEST schrieb Jon Danniken:

>>> Try "apt-file search intel_panel_fitter".
>> Thanks Volker.  That returns just a listing of the man file:
>>
>> $ apt-file search intel_panel_fitter
>> intel-gpu-tools: /usr/share/man/man1/intel_panel_fitter.1.gz
> You have done "apt-file update" before, haven't you...
Indeed, it was the first thing I did upon installing apt-file this
morning. :)
> I've found this in the man page (https://www.mankier.com/1/intel_panel_fitter):
>
>      "In the future, there will be support for this feature inside the Linux
>      Kernel."
>
> Perhaps this is your case?
This is possible, but in such a case how would I access it?

> Otherwise, you could try to build intel_panel_fitter from the sources:
>
> cd /tmp
> apt-get source intel-gpu-tools
> cd intel-gpu-tools-1.14
>
> There appears tools/intel_panel_fitter.c, which should be what you are looking
> for.
Thanks Volker, I will try this along with the configure/make steps from
your subsequent post.  Much appreciated!

Am Dienstag, 12. September 2017, 04:38:33 CEST schrieb Jon Danniken:

> On 9/11/17 6:23 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> >> Thanks Volker.  That returns just a listing of the man file:
> >>
> >> $ apt-file search intel_panel_fitter
> >> intel-gpu-tools: /usr/share/man/man1/intel_panel_fitter.1.gz
> >
> > You have done "apt-file update" before, haven't you...
>
> Indeed, it was the first thing I did upon installing apt-file this
> morning. :)
>
> > I've found this in the man page (https://www.mankier.com/1/
intel_panel_fitter):
> >      "In the future, there will be support for this feature inside the
> >      Linux
> >      Kernel."
> >
> > Perhaps this is your case?
>
> This is possible, but in such a case how would I access it?

I have no idea...

> > Otherwise, you could try to build intel_panel_fitter from the sources:
> >
> > cd /tmp
> > apt-get source intel-gpu-tools
> > cd intel-gpu-tools-1.14
> >
> > There appears tools/intel_panel_fitter.c, which should be what you are
> > looking for.
>
> Thanks Volker, I will try this along with the configure/make steps from
> your subsequent post.  Much appreciated!

Hope it works.

Cheers
Volker

Re: intel_panel_fitter command not found (Solved)

Jon Danniken
On 9/11/17 6:58 AM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> Am Montag, 11. September 2017, 14:23:48 CEST schrieb Volker Wysk:
>> Otherwise, you could try to build intel_panel_fitter from the sources:
>>
>> cd /tmp
>> apt-get source intel-gpu-tools
>> cd intel-gpu-tools-1.14
> And then:
>
> apt-get build-dep intel-gpu-tools
> ./configure
> make
>
> Then there should be the "intel_panel_fitter" program have been built, probably
> in tools/. It probably doesn't need installation, but you can install it with
> a variety of methods.

Thanks again Volker, I had a chance to play around over the weekend and
the panel fitter did it's job splendidly.

Jon