interrupted do-release-upgrade

Stuart McGraw
Hello all,

I was running 'do-release-upgrade' (in a terminal window) to upgrade my 17.10
system to 18.04.  The download phase had finished, the install phase was in
progress (I think) and I was responding to a debconf prompt about a modified
config file when I accidentally hit ^C and interrupted it.

Some googling suggested the upgrade might be running in a 'screen' process
but 'screen --list' reports screen is not installed.
Rerunning the do-release-upgrade command says no new release found.  Running
   # apt-get install -f
   E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
   E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
I have a "bionic" process running but
   root     20565     1  0 111581 78132  0 15:16 pts/1    00:00:07 /usr/bin/python3 /tmp/ubuntu-release-upgrader-ak_28mh_/bionic --mode=server --frontend=DistUpgradeViewText
but I don't know if that is useful or not.

Google results were varied, some sounded sketchy, a lot pretty old, so I thought
the best thing would be to ask here.  I am new to Ubuntu and this is my first
time doing a release upgrade.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: interrupted do-release-upgrade

ubuntu-users mailing list
10 May 2018  at 17:00, Stuart McGraw wrote:
interrupted do-release-upgrade (at least in part)

>Hello all,

>I was running 'do-release-upgrade' (in a terminal window) to upgrade my 17.10
>system to 18.04.

I may be way-off, but "thought" do-release-upgrade only upgraded ONCE the ".1"
point release came out?  I have only used on LTS versions so there may be a
difference, IIRC there is an option to force the upgrade before point release

Re: interrupted do-release-upgrade

Liam Proven
On Fri, 11 May 2018 at 07:52, Grizzly via ubuntu-users <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I may be way-off, but "thought" do-release-upgrade only upgraded ONCE the
".1"
> point release came out?  I have only used on LTS versions so there may be
> difference, IIRC there is an option to force the upgrade before point
release

Only for LTS -> LTS upgrades. Short-term releases will do it immediately.

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Re: interrupted do-release-upgrade

ubuntu-users mailing list
11 May 2018  at 9:21, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: interrupted do-release-upgrade (at least in part)

>Only for LTS -> LTS upgrades. Short-term releases will do it immediately.

Much as I guessed

On Fri, 11 May 2018 at 01:02, Stuart McGraw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Google results were varied, some sounded sketchy, a lot pretty old, so I
thought
> the best thing would be to ask here.  I am new to Ubuntu and this is my
first
> time doing a release upgrade.

You've seen

https://askubuntu.com/questions/657940/how-to-resume-the-interrupted-upgrade-from-14-10-to-15-04

...?

If you are *sure* dpkg isn't running -- check with

ps aux | grep dpkg

... then manually remove the ``lock'' file from /var/lib/dpkg and try again.

Also see:

https://administratosphere.wordpress.com/2011/11/02/rescuing-an-interrupted-ubuntu-upgrade/

&

http://www.openmutual.org/2012/02/recovering-from-power-loss-interrupted-ubuntu-distribution-upgrade/

On 05/11/2018 04:46 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Fri, 11 May 2018 at 01:02, Stuart McGraw <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Google results were varied, some sounded sketchy, a lot pretty old, so I
> thought
>> the best thing would be to ask here.  I am new to Ubuntu and this is my
> first
>> time doing a release upgrade.
>
> You've seen
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/657940/how-to-resume-the-interrupted-upgrade-from-14-10-to-15-04
> ...?
>
> If you are *sure* dpkg isn't running -- check with
>
> ps aux | grep dpkg
>
> ... then manually remove the ``lock'' file from /var/lib/dpkg and try again.
>
> Also see:
>
> https://administratosphere.wordpress.com/2011/11/02/rescuing-an-interrupted-ubuntu-upgrade/
> &
> http://www.openmutual.org/2012/02/recovering-from-power-loss-interrupted-ubuntu-distribution-upgrade/

Thanks, I had seen the first reference but also some others that seemed
conflicting.

But, as it turns out, it is all moot now.  Bad weather (thunderstorms)
forced me to power off the machine and it refused to boot later (kernel
panic).  So I am repeating the whole 9 hour upgrade again from the backup
disk.  Such is life.  This time I'll try to be less fumble fingered.