irssi

eric dan
does anybody know where i can find a beginner's guide to irssi?
the irssi website takes certain knowledge for granted and does not explain.
i want to find out how i can autojoin freenode and identify and join channels on startup without becoming an irssi guru.
can anybody help with this?

thanks

Re: irssi

Pybe
On 08/11/05, eric dan <[hidden email]> wrote:
does anybody know where i can find a beginner's guide to irssi?
the irssi website takes certain knowledge for granted and does not explain.
i want to find out how i can autojoin freenode and identify and join channels on startup without becoming an irssi guru.
can anybody help with this?

All the information you are asking for is there on the site, and it doesnt assume certain knowlege... It tells you what you neet to type such as /network add -auto blah blah blah, and /channel add -auto blah blah blah.

I suggest that you give the whole getting started document a good read then go back and do the bits you want to. Dont just find the piece you want then start typing the commands they give as examples, read the whole section then go back and do what you need.

Hope this helps.

Re: irssi

Peter Garrett
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 01:25:17 -0800
eric dan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> does anybody know where i can find a beginner's guide to irssi?
> the irssi website takes certain knowledge for granted and does not explain.
> i want to find out how i can autojoin freenode and identify and join
> channels on startup without becoming an irssi guru.
> can anybody help with this?
>
> thanks

Hi ,

In your home directory you will find the directory  .irssi  (the dot makes it a "hidden" directory). In this directory is the file "config". You can open thus:

gedit ~/.irssi/config

Now look for a section that looks like

{
    address = "irc.freenode.net";
    chatnet = "freenode";
    port = "6667";
    autoconnect = "yes";
    password = "xxxx";
  }

Clearly you need  autoconnect = "yes";    as above, and your password subsituted for "xxxx"  (which I've obscured for obvious reasons ;) )

Scroll down and look for the section that looks like this:

-- channels = (
  { name = "#irssi"; chatnet = "ircnet"; autojoin = "No"; },
  { name = "#irssi"; chatnet = "freenode"; autojoin = "No"; },
  { name = "#ubuntu"; chatnet = "freenode"; autojoin = "Yes"; },
  { name = "silc"; chatnet = "silc"; autojoin = "No"; }
);

Notice the line that has chatnet = "freenode"; autojoin = "Yes";   - in this case set to join #ubuntu. As you see, other lines can be set up to join , say, freenode #irssi, or #kubuntu, or whatever you wish...

Under this you'll also see "aliases" , where you can  set up your own "shortcut" commands if you wish, and so on.

Further down is a section like this:

 core = {
    real_name = "Peter Garrett";
    user_name = "prospero";
    nick = "thoreauputic";
    hostname = "\"\"";
  };

Which you use to set your user_name, and your default nickname

You will also want to set your alternativee nickname in this section:

"irc/core" = { alternate_nick = "thoreauputic_"; };

This should get you started,  I hope.
You might already have read

http://www.irssi.org/?page=beginner

but it has some useful pointers and links. Many things in irssi can be set using the /set command from within irssi itself.

http://www.irssi.org/index.php?page=docs&doc=faq

Might help too.

It also makes your life easier if you link your alternative/ alternate nick to your default nick.
Try "/msg nickserv help"   for a list of posssibilities (once you are connected to freenode) - each option has its own help entries as well.

Peter

Linux User #343161

Re: irssi

eric dan
this actually helped. thanks.
the stuff on the irssi website created some confusuon because it uses /network instead of /ircnet . i guess /network works only for the cvs release.  i thought i had the newest version, but i guess i was wrong.