Quantcast

kde login screen freezes at around 56%

Luca Ferrari
Hi all,
this happened twice to my laptop: kubuntu 16.10, amd64, plain install.
It worked for a couple of months than the kde login screen (progress
bar) freezes at 56% (I got the above from a console) and I'm unable to
do the login.
I reinstalled the distro, and after a couple of weeks, it happened again.
The kde init process seems blocked somewhere (again, I inspect with
top and alike from a terminal). Booting in single mode does not result
in any help.
Any idea on how to investigate/fix?

Thanks,
Luca

P.S.
I know there are too few details, but I need some hint on how to get more

Re: kde login screen freezes at around 56%

Nils Kassube-2
Luca Ferrari wrote:
> this happened twice to my laptop: kubuntu 16.10, amd64, plain install.
> It worked for a couple of months than the kde login screen (progress
> bar) freezes at 56% (I got the above from a console) and I'm unable
> to do the login.

Please elaborate. If you write "login screen", I suppose you mean the
place where you can select the user and enter the password (i.e. the
sddm screen). But I don't see a progress bar before that screen appears.
Or do you perhaps mean you can enter your password and then it stops at
56% of the progress bar before your desktop whould show up?

How long did you wait until you decided that something is wrong? And did
it happen again after a reboot?

> I reinstalled the distro, and after a couple of weeks, it happened
> again. The kde init process seems blocked somewhere (again, I inspect
> with top and alike from a terminal). Booting in single mode does not
> result in any help.

Well, in single mode the GUI doesn't start (AFAIK) and therefore you may
not see the problem, at least if it is related to the GUI.

Anyway, you could have a look at the logfiles in "/var/log/" - maybe you
find a clue there.

Furthermore, do you have the desktop configured to restore the previous
session (that's the default IIRC)? Then there might be a problem
starting a particular application.

Nils

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Nils Kassube <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please elaborate. If you write "login screen", I suppose you mean the
> place where you can select the user and enter the password (i.e. the
> sddm screen). But I don't see a progress bar before that screen appears.
> Or do you perhaps mean you can enter your password and then it stops at
> 56% of the progress bar before your desktop whould show up?

Sorry, I wrote login screen, but was meaning splash screen (I've
autologin enabled).

> How long did you wait until you decided that something is wrong? And did
> it happen again after a reboot?

10 minutes without i/o (disk activity monitored with iostat).

> Furthermore, do you have the desktop configured to restore the previous
> session (that's the default IIRC)? Then there might be a problem
> starting a particular application.

Yes, I've tried also to remove the .kde folder to start out a plain
new session, but nothing changed.
I will search in the logs for any symptom.

Luca

wrote:

> > Please elaborate. If you write "login screen", I suppose you mean
> > the
> > place where you can select the user and enter the password (i.e. the
> > sddm screen). But I don't see a progress bar before that screen
> > appears. Or do you perhaps mean you can enter your password and
> > then it stops at 56% of the progress bar before your desktop whould
> > show up?
>
> Sorry, I wrote login screen, but was meaning splash screen (I've
> autologin enabled).

OK, thanks for clarifying.

> > How long did you wait until you decided that something is wrong? And
> > did it happen again after a reboot?
>
> 10 minutes without i/o (disk activity monitored with iostat).

Yes, 10 minutes should really be considered to be too long for normal
operaion.

Nils

André Verwijs wrote:
> I have the same on TW.... (with last update)

TW = Time-Warner? More seriously: If you mean Opensuse tumbleweed, then
it looks like a general KDE problem, not specific to Kubuntu.

Nils

Re: kde login screen freezes at around 56%

Dutchglory
What else woul "TW" mean đŸ˜– ...

Op 23 jan. 2017 12:42 schreef "Nils Kassube" <[hidden email]>:
André Verwijs wrote:
> I have the same on TW.... (with last update)

TW = Time-Warner? More seriously: If you mean Opensuse tumbleweed, then
it looks like a general KDE problem, not specific to Kubuntu.

Nils

Re: kde login screen freezes at around 56%

Luca Ferrari
Here I attache the .xsession-errors, it seems a dbus problem.
However killing ksmserver reports me back to the login screen (kdm)
but then the problem persists: I'm unable to get the desktop.
Any idea?

Thanks,
Luca

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/20x11-common_process-args: line 57: message:
command not found
startkde: Starting up...
kdeinit5: preparing to launch 'libkdeinit5_klauncher'
kdeinit5: Launched KLauncher, pid = 1234, result = 0
Qt: Session management error: networkIdsList argument is NULL
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kdeinit5: opened connection to :0
kdeinit5: preparing to launch 'libkdeinit5_kded5'
kdeinit5: Launched KDED, pid = 1236 result = 0
kdeinit5: preparing to launch 'libkdeinit5_kcminit_startup'
Qt: Session management error: networkIdsList argument is NULL
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Breeze)"
kdeinit5: Launched 'kcminit_startup', pid = 1237 result = 0
kdeinit5: Got EXT_EXEC '/usr/bin/kbuildsycoca5' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/bin/kbuildsycoca5'
kf5.kinit.klauncher: "/usr/bin/kbuildsycoca5" (pid 1241) up and running.
kbuildsycoca5 running...
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Trying to open ksycoca from "/home/luca/.cache/ksycoca5"
Recreating ksycoca file ("/home/luca/.cache/ksycoca5", version 300)
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Breeze)"
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Trying to open ksycoca from "/home/luca/.cache/ksycoca5"
kdeinit5: Got SETENV 'KDE_MULTIHEAD=false' from launcher.
Initializing  "kded_touchpad" :  "kcminit_touchpad"
Width:  3440  height:  2616
Approx. resX:  38  resY:  52
Touchpad resolution: x:  64  y:  85
Final resolution x: 64  y: 85
Initializing  "kcm_input" :  "kcminit_mouse"
Initializing  "kcm_style" :  "kcminit_style"
kdeinit5: Got SETENV
'GTK_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/luca/.gtkrc:/home/luca/.config/gtkrc'
from launcher.
kdeinit5: Got SETENV
'GTK2_RC_FILES=/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:/home/luca/.gtkrc-2.0:/home/luca/.config/gtkrc-2.0'
from launcher.
Initializing  "kcm_access" :  "kcminit_access"
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Trying to open ksycoca from "/home/luca/.cache/ksycoca5"
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/bin/kaccess' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/bin/kaccess'
kf5.kinit.klauncher: "/usr/bin/kaccess" (pid 1249) up and running.
Initializing  "kcm_bell" :  "kcminit_bell"
QCoreApplication::arguments: Please instantiate the QApplication object first
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before
QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before
QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
kdeinit5: PID 1237 terminated.
kdeinit5: Got KWRAPPER 'ksmserver' from wrapper.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch 'libkdeinit5_ksmserver'
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Breeze)"
kdeinit5: PID 1249 terminated.
Qt: Session management error: networkIdsList argument is NULL
Configuring Lock Action
XSync seems available and ready
XSync Inited
Supported, init completed
Menu "applications-kmenuedit.menu" not found.
Saving
Emitting notifyDatabaseChanged ("services", "servicetypes",
"xdgdata-mime", "apps")
kdeinit5: PID 1241 terminated.
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Trying to open ksycoca from "/home/luca/.cache/ksycoca5"
kf5.kded: kded module "keyboard" still uses .desktop files
("kded/keyboard.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "solidautoeject" still uses .desktop files
("kded/solidautoeject.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "touchpad" still uses .desktop files
("kded/touchpad.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "soliduiserver" still uses .desktop files
("kded/soliduiserver.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "notificationhelper" still uses .desktop files
("kded/notificationhelper.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "ksysguard" still uses .desktop files
("kded/ksysguard.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "kscreen" still uses .desktop files
("kded/kscreen.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "freespacenotifier" still uses .desktop files
("kded/freespacenotifier.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "ktimezoned" still uses .desktop files
("kded/ktimezoned.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "powerdevil" still uses .desktop files
("kded/powerdevil.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "networkwatcher" still uses .desktop files
("kded/networkwatcher.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "remotedirnotify" still uses .desktop files
("kded/remotedirnotify.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "kded_baloosearch_kio" still uses .desktop files
("kded/baloosearchfolderupdater.desktop"). Please port it to JSON
metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "khotkeys" still uses .desktop files
("kded/khotkeys.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "proxyscout" has already been found using JSON
metadata, please don't install the now unneeded .desktop file
("kded/proxyscout.desktop").
kf5.kded: kded module "printmanager" still uses .desktop files
("kded/printmanager.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "statusnotifierwatcher" still uses .desktop
files ("kded/statusnotifierwatcher.desktop"). Please port it to JSON
metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "desktopnotifier" still uses .desktop files
("kded/desktopnotifier.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "networkstatus" still uses .desktop files
("kded/networkstatus.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "appmenu" still uses .desktop files
("kded/appmenu.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "ktouchpadenabler" still uses .desktop files
("kded/ktouchpadenabler.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "recentdocumentsnotifier" still uses .desktop
files ("kded/recentdocumentsnotifier.desktop"). Please port it to JSON
metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "platformstatus" still uses .desktop files
("kded/platformstatus.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: kded module "networkmanagement" still uses .desktop files
("kded/networkmanagement.desktop"). Please port it to JSON metadata.
kf5.kded: found kded module "ksysguard" by prepending 'kded_' to the
library path, please fix your metadata.
kf5.kded: Successfully loaded module "ksysguard"
kf5.kded: found kded module "kscreen" by prepending 'kded_' to the
library path, please fix your metadata.
kf5.kded: Successfully loaded module "kscreen"
kf5.kded: found kded module "powerdevil" by prepending 'kded_' to the
library path, please fix your metadata.
kf5.kded: Successfully loaded module "powerdevil"
kf5.kded: Successfully loaded module "kded_baloosearch_kio"
kf5.kded: found kded module "printmanager" by prepending 'kded_' to
the library path, please fix your metadata.
kf5.kded: Successfully loaded module "printmanager"
kf5.kded: found kded module "statusnotifierwatcher" by prepending
'kded_' to the library path, please fix your metadata.
kf5.kded: Successfully loaded module "statusnotifierwatcher"
kf5.kded: found kded module "ktouchpadenabler" by prepending 'kded_'
to the library path, please fix your metadata.
kf5.kded: Successfully loaded module "ktouchpadenabler"
kf5.kded: found kded module "networkmanagement" by prepending 'kded_'
to the library path, please fix your metadata.
kf5.kded: Successfully loaded module "networkmanagement"
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Trying to open ksycoca from "/home/luca/.cache/ksycoca5"
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW
'/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/kconf_update' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch
'/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/kconf_update'
kf5.kinit.klauncher:
"/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/kconf_update" (pid 1266) up and
running.
kdeinit5: PID 1266 terminated.
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Breeze)"
powerdevil: Loading UPower backend...
powerdevil: UPower service,  org.freedesktop.UPower , is not
registered on the bus. Trying to find out if it is activated.
powerdevil: UPower was found, activating service...
powerdevil: Success!
powerdevil: Backend loaded, loading core
powerdevil: Core loaded, initializing backend
powerdevil: No outputs have backlight property
powerdevil: Falling back to helper to get brightness
pm.kded: unable to register service to dbus
Created alarm 20971521
ksmserver: "/run/user/1000/KSMserver"
kdeinit5: Got SETENV
'SESSION_MANAGER=local/luca-Aspire-6935:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/1261,unix/luca-Aspire-6935:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1261'
from launcher.
ksmserver: KSMServer: SetAProc_loc: conn  0 , prot= local , file=
@/tmp/.ICE-unix/1261
ksmserver: KSMServer: SetAProc_loc: conn  1 , prot= unix , file=
/tmp/.ICE-unix/1261
ksmserver: KSMServer::restoreSession  "saved at previous logout"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: Service:  0 "/etc/xdg/autostart/baloo_file.desktop"
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/bin/baloo_file' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/bin/baloo_file'
kf5.kinit.klauncher: "/usr/bin/baloo_file" (pid 1300) up and running.
kf5.kinit.klauncher: Service:  0 "/etc/xdg/autostart/kdeconnectd.desktop"
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kdeconnectd'
from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kdeconnectd'
kf5.kinit.klauncher: "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kdeconnectd"
(pid 1301) up and running.
kf5.kinit.klauncher: Service:  0 "/etc/xdg/autostart/krunner.desktop"
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/bin/krunner' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/bin/krunner'
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Breeze)"
QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we
thought it was ':1.10'
kf5.kinit.klauncher: "/usr/bin/krunner" (pid 1302) up and running.
detected kglobalaccel restarting, re-registering all shortcut keys
Session path: "/org/freedesktop/login1/session/_31"
powerdevil: current screen brightness value:  9
powerdevil: Backend is ready, KDE Power Management system initialized
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appId= ":1.11" newAppId= ":1.11" pendingAppId=
"org.kde.krunner"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appId= "org.kde.KScreen.Backend.XRandR" newAppId=
"org.kde.KScreen.Backend.XRandR" pendingAppId= "org.kde.krunner"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appId= ":1.12" newAppId= ":1.12" pendingAppId=
"org.kde.krunner"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: Service:  0 "/etc/xdg/autostart/plasmashell.desktop"
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/bin/plasmashell' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/bin/plasmashell'
kf5.kinit.klauncher: "/usr/bin/plasmashell" (pid 1313) up and running.
XSync seems available and ready
XSync Inited
Supported, init completed
powerdevil: Session path: "/org/freedesktop/login1/session/_31"
powerdevil: ACTIVE SESSION PATH: "/org/freedesktop/login1/session/_31"
powerdevil: Current session is now active
powerdevil: fd passing available: true
powerdevil: systemd powersave events handling inhibited, descriptor: 29
powerdevil: systemd support initialized
powerdevil: The session is not registered with ck
powerdevil: Got a valid offer for  "DPMSControl"
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Breeze)"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appId= ":1.13" newAppId= ":1.13" pendingAppId=
"org.kde.plasmashell"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appId= ":1.14" newAppId= ":1.14" pendingAppId=
"org.kde.plasmashell"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appId= "org.kde.kdeconnectd" newAppId=
"org.kde.kdeconnectd" pendingAppId= "org.kde.plasmashell"
kdeconnect.core: KdeConnect daemon starting
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Breeze)"
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Trying to open ksycoca from "/home/luca/.cache/ksycoca5"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: Service:  0
"/etc/xdg/autostart/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1.desktop"
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW
'/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1'
from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch
'/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1'
kf5.kinit.klauncher:
"/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1"
(pid 1319) up and running.
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appId= "org.kde.kdeconnect" newAppId=
"org.kde.kdeconnect" pendingAppId=
"*.polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appName= "kdeconnect"
kdeconnect.core: KdeConnect daemon started
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Breeze)"
completeShutdownOrCheckpoint called
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appId= ":1.15" newAppId= ":1.15" pendingAppId=
"*.polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appName= "15"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appId= "org.kde.baloo" newAppId= "org.kde.baloo"
pendingAppId= "*.polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appName= "baloo"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appId= ":1.16" newAppId= ":1.16" pendingAppId=
"*.polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appName= "16"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appId= ":1.17" newAppId= ":1.17" pendingAppId=
"*.polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appName= "17"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appId= ":1.18" newAppId= ":1.18" pendingAppId=
"*.polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appName= "18"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appId= "org.kde.kwin" newAppId= "org.kde.kwin"
pendingAppId= "*.polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: appName= "kwin"
New PolkitAgentListener  0x72b120
Adding new listener  PolkitQt1::Agent::Listener(0x74e270) for  0x72b120
Listener online
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Breeze)"
completeShutdownOrCheckpoint called
completeShutdownOrCheckpoint called
true
Invalid service name "/org/kde/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1"
using: "/org/kde/polkitkdeauthenticationagent1"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: Service:  0 ""
ksmserver: Autostart 0 done
kcminit not running? If we are running with mobile profile or in
another platform other than X11 this is normal.
ksmserver: Kcminit phase 1 done
kf5.kinit.klauncher: Service:  1 "/etc/xdg/autostart/kwrited-autostart.desktop"
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/bin/kwrited' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/bin/kwrited'
kwin_core: Extensions: shape: 0x "11"  composite: 0x "4"  render: 0x
"b"  fixes: 0x "50"  randr: 0x "14"  sync: 0x "31"  damage: 0x  "11"

kf5.kinit.klauncher: "/usr/bin/kwrited" (pid 1331) up and running.
kf5.kinit.klauncher: Service:  1 "/etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop"
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11'
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Breeze)"
kf5.kinit.klauncher: "/usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11" (pid 1333) up and running.
kf5.kinit.klauncher: Service:  1
"/etc/xdg/autostart/restore_kmix_volumes.desktop"
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/bin/kmixctrl' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/bin/kmixctrl'
kf5.kinit.klauncher: "/usr/bin/kmixctrl" (pid 1334) up and running.
kf5.kinit.klauncher: Service:  1 ""
ksmserver: Autostart 1 done
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Breeze)"
Constructing a KPluginInfo object from old style JSON. Please use
kcoreaddons_desktop_to_json() for
"/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/org.kde.kdecoration2/breezedecoration.so"
instead of kservice_desktop_to_json() in your CMake code.
Constructing a KPluginInfo object from old style JSON. Please use
kcoreaddons_desktop_to_json() for
"/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/org.kde.kdecoration2/kwin5_aurorae.so"
instead of kservice_desktop_to_json() in your CMake code.
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Trying to open ksycoca from "/home/luca/.cache/ksycoca5"
Trying to load decoration plugin:
"/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/org.kde.kdecoration2/breezedecoration.so"
"/home/luca/.local/share/baloo/file/" true
"/home/luca"
"/home/luca"
Successfully opened connection to inotify: 23
XSync seems available and ready
XSync Inited
Supported, init completed
Battery
No file queue: suspended or on battery
"/home/luca/.xsession-errors"
Created alarm 33554433
Battery
No file queue: suspended or on battery
"/home/luca/.xsession-errors"
Battery
No file queue: suspended or on battery
"/home/luca/.xsession-errors"
Battery
No file queue: suspended or on battery
"/home/luca/.xsession-errors"
Battery
No file queue: suspended or on battery
"/home/luca/.xsession-errors"
Battery
No file queue: suspended or on battery
"/home/luca/.xsession-errors"
Battery
No file queue: suspended or on battery
"/home/luca/.xsession-errors"
Battery
No file queue: suspended or on battery
Failure: Timeout
kdeinit5: PID 1333 terminated.
"/home/luca/.xsession-errors"
Battery
No file queue: suspended or on battery
"/home/luca/.xsession-errors"
Battery
No file queue: suspended or on battery
Failed to get dbus path for component  "krunner"
QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply", "Did not receive a
reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a
reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply
timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.")
Failed to get dbus path for component  "kwin"
[...]
true "/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda2"
"/home/luca/.xsession-errors"
Battery
No file queue: suspended or on battery
Failed to get dbus path for component  "krunner"
QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply", "Did not receive a
reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a
reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply
timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.")
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kdeconnectd'
from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kdeconnectd'
kf5.kinit.klauncher: "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kdeconnectd"
(pid 1456) up and running.
Failed to get dbus path for component  "kwin"
QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply", "Did not receive a
reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a
reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply
timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.")
false "/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda2"
true "/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda3"

Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Here I attache the .xsession-errors, it seems a dbus problem.
> However killing ksmserver reports me back to the login screen (kdm)
> but then the problem persists: I'm unable to get the desktop.

> Failed to get dbus path for component  "kwin"
> QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply", "Did not receive a
> reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a
> reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply
> timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.")

Indeed it looks like a dbus problem with kwin, but I have no idea what
to do about it.

Nils