kde5 and kdewallet

Phil-2
A kde wallet service dialog box pops up at odd times since a new install
of 19.04 Is this telling me anything that's important? This didn't occur
after an upgrade from 18.10, only after a fresh install.

"The application 'kde5" has requested to open the wallet". A password is
then requested.

Phil

Re: kde5 and kdewallet

Michael McCallister
Phil,

KWallet is a password manager. At some point, you must have set up Wallet to generate a password for some other app, and you created a Master Password for the Wallet. If you don't remember setting up an account with KWallet, I think you can uninstall KWallet. If you want to reinstall it, I believe it will allow you to create a new master password, and possibly access whatever other password(s) you set up in the past.

Mike McCallister
Notes from the Metaverse: http://metaverse.wordpress.com

On 29/5/19 12:50 am, Michael McCallister wrote:
> Phil,
>
> KWallet is a password manager. At some point, you must have set up
> Wallet to generate a password for some other app,

Thank you for your reply Michael,

I don't know how KWallet came to be installed, perhaps it was required
by something else that I had installed? I do have a password safe that I
use across  all of my computers including my Android devices.

Anyway, I have uninstalled KWallet and no ill effect has been seen, so far.

Phil

Re: kde5 and kdewallet

Cody Smith-2
Kwallet is used by KDE to store credentials not just for sites, but WiFi passwords and a bunch of other things. It's actually not insecure nor disadvantageous. It's also suck in most KDE distro, Kubuntu included.

--c_smith

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019, 4:48 PM Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29/5/19 12:50 am, Michael McCallister wrote:
> Phil,
>
> KWallet is a password manager. At some point, you must have set up
> Wallet to generate a password for some other app,

Thank you for your reply Michael,

I don't know how KWallet came to be installed, perhaps it was required
by something else that I had installed? I do have a password safe that I
use across  all of my computers including my Android devices.

Anyway, I have uninstalled KWallet and no ill effect has been seen, so far.

Phil

Re: kde5 and kdewallet

Cody Smith-2
Stock in those distros, not suck