kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

robert rottermann
Hi there,

my good old pc  running 16.04 LTS Desktop got a an update today.

Now it does not boot any more.

it is a: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4

The kernel it got is 4.4.0-108.

Fro this one it does not boot any more.

Kernel 4.4.0-104 boots fine.


Is there something I can do about this?


thanks

robert


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার
Hi robert

2018-01-10 7:42 GMT+00:00 robert rottermann <[hidden email]>:
Hi there,

my good old pc  running 16.04 LTS Desktop got a an update today.

Now it does not boot any more.

On which stage it is hanging now while booting? Can you please share a photo/screenshot of your pc while booting?

it is a: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4

The kernel it got is 4.4.0-108.

Fro this one it does not boot any more.

Kernel 4.4.0-104 boots fine.

Is there something I can do about this?

On system start when the bios message appears and showing you messages then --
1. keep pressing up/down arrow key on your keyboard. It helps you to get the system grub/grub2 boot menu.
2. from the menu choose advanced boot option and there you will get your old kernels on the boot menu.
3. Now choose to boot on the kernel of your wish.

Hope this will resolve your problem to boot Ubuntu 16.04 on your system.

Let us know the updates. Thanks.
--
রিং/ring

মহাসচিব/General Secretary
এফওএসএস বাংলাদেশ/FOSS Bangladesh

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

robert rottermann
Hi
On 10.01.2018 08:59, সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার wrote:
Hi robert

2018-01-10 7:42 GMT+00:00 robert rottermann <[hidden email]>:
Hi there,

my good old pc  running 16.04 LTS Desktop got a an update today.

Now it does not boot any more.

On which stage it is hanging now while booting? Can you please share a photo/screenshot of your pc while booting?
When I just let it boot as normal, the pc just hangs with a blank screen, after it displayed the grub boot selection, and booted into the default kernel.

when I select the "more options" (i do not remember the exact wording) i get a list with a number of kernels and boot options.
The first one is kernel 4.4.0-108.
If I boot into it, two lines are displayed in the text console.
The second line tells, that a virtual drive or some such is loaded. Then the pc hangs.

when I boot from an older kernel, or an older ubuntu version still on the box, everything works fine.

robert

it is a: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4

The kernel it got is 4.4.0-108.

Fro this one it does not boot any more.

Kernel 4.4.0-104 boots fine.

Is there something I can do about this?

On system start when the bios message appears and showing you messages then --
1. keep pressing up/down arrow key on your keyboard. It helps you to get the system grub/grub2 boot menu.
2. from the menu choose advanced boot option and there you will get your old kernels on the boot menu.
3. Now choose to boot on the kernel of your wish.

Hope this will resolve your problem to boot Ubuntu 16.04 on your system.

Let us know the updates. Thanks.
--
রিং/ring

মহাসচিব/General Secretary
এফওএসএস বাংলাদেশ/FOSS Bangladesh




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

Colin Law
In reply to this post by robert rottermann
On 10 January 2018 at 07:42, robert rottermann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> my good old pc  running 16.04 LTS Desktop got a an update today.
>
> Now it does not boot any more.
>
> it is a: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4
>
> The kernel it got is 4.4.0-108.
>
> Fro this one it does not boot any more.
>
> Kernel 4.4.0-104 boots fine.
>
>
> Is there something I can do about this?

Have a look in /var/log/syslog and see what it shows there for the
failed boot, which will obviously be before the good boot. Copy/paste
the section showing the failed boot here.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

robert rottermann
Thanks Colin
On 10.01.2018 10:19, Colin Law wrote:

> On 10 January 2018 at 07:42, robert rottermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> my good old pc  running 16.04 LTS Desktop got a an update today.
>>
>> Now it does not boot any more.
>>
>> it is a: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4
>>
>> The kernel it got is 4.4.0-108.
>>
>> Fro this one it does not boot any more.
>>
>> Kernel 4.4.0-104 boots fine.
>>
>>
>> Is there something I can do about this?
> Have a look in /var/log/syslog and see what it shows there for the
> failed boot, which will obviously be before the good boot. Copy/paste
> the section showing the failed boot here.

It seems not to create any entry.

This is what I did to test:

moved /var/log/syslog away.

rebooted into the failing kernel.

two lines are shown in the console.

The second saying that the initial ramdisk is loaded


then nothing

No entry in /var/log/syslog when I log into kernel 4.4.0-104 recovery mode (the
failing version is -108)

robert


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

Colin Law
On 10 January 2018 at 10:22, robert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No entry in /var/log/syslog when I log into kernel 4.4.0-104 recovery mode
> (the failing version is -108)

I wonder whether the kernel install failed for some reason. It would
be worth trying

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If that shows any errors then
sudo apt-get install -f

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

robert rottermann
On 10.01.2018 11:26, Colin Law wrote:

> On 10 January 2018 at 10:22, robert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> No entry in /var/log/syslog when I log into kernel 4.4.0-104 recovery mode
>> (the failing version is -108)
> I wonder whether the kernel install failed for some reason. It would
> be worth trying
>
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> If that shows any errors then
> sudo apt-get install -f
>
> Colin
>
this asked me to remove some unneeded kernel with apt autoremove.

I did so, but nothing changed.


robert


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

Colin Law
On 10 January 2018 at 10:36, robert rottermann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10.01.2018 11:26, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 10 January 2018 at 10:22, robert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> No entry in /var/log/syslog when I log into kernel 4.4.0-104 recovery
>>> mode
>>> (the failing version is -108)
>>
>> I wonder whether the kernel install failed for some reason. It would
>> be worth trying
>>
>> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>>
>> If that shows any errors then
>> sudo apt-get install -f
>>
>> Colin
>>
> this asked me to remove some unneeded kernel with apt autoremove.
>
> I did so, but nothing changed.

This may capture messages from before the log gets going:
Firstly tell systemd to keep the journal
sudo mkdir /var/log/journal
The fact that the directory exists tells it to put stuff there.
Reboot into the failing kernel
Rebbot into the good kernel
Immediately run
journalctl -b -1 > ~/tmp/journal.txt
then in /tmp/journal.txt there may be something useful

Once this problem is sorted remove the /var/log/journal directory again.

Colin



>
>
>
> robert
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

Nils Kassube-2
In reply to this post by robert rottermann
robert wrote:
> No entry in /var/log/syslog when I log into kernel 4.4.0-104 recovery
> mode (the failing version is -108)

What happens if you start the -108 kernel in recovery mode? Is there
more than the two initial lines on the screen?


Nils


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

Oliver Grawert
In reply to this post by robert rottermann
Am Mittwoch, den 10.01.2018, 08:42 +0100 schrieb robert rottermann:
> Hi there,
>
> my good old pc  running 16.04 LTS Desktop got a an update today.
>
> Now it does not boot any more.

this is likely 
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1741934

a 4.4.0-109 package that fixes it is in the archive already ... 
just do apt update/upgrade again ... 

ciao
        oli


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
In reply to this post by robert rottermann
On 01/10/2018 01:41 AM, robert rottermann wrote:

> When I just let it boot as normal, the pc just hangs with a blank screen

I just installed updates and rebooted a server, and the same thing is
happening. blank screen at boot. I had to boot another kernel.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

NoOp-4
In reply to this post by robert rottermann
On 1/9/2018 11:42 PM, robert rottermann wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> my good old pc  running 16.04 LTS Desktop got a an update today.
>
> Now it does not boot any more.
>
> it is a: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4
>
> The kernel it got is 4.4.0-108.
>
> Fro this one it does not boot any more.
>
> Kernel 4.4.0-104 boots fine.
>
>
> Is there something I can do about this?
>
>
> thanks
>
> robert
>
>


See:
https://usn.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3522-3/
"Details

USN-3522-1 fixed a vulnerability in the Linux kernel to address
Meltdown (CVE-2017-5754). Unfortunately, that update introduced
a regression where a few systems failed to boot successfully. This
update fixes the problem."

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1741934
Kernel trace with xenial 4.4 (4.4.0-108.131, Candidate kernels for PTI fix)


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 12:22:41 -0800, NoOp wrote:

> On 1/9/2018 11:42 PM, robert rottermann wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> my good old pc  running 16.04 LTS Desktop got a an update today.
>>
>> Now it does not boot any more.
>>
>> it is a: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4
>>
>> The kernel it got is 4.4.0-108.
>>
>> Fro this one it does not boot any more.
>>
>> Kernel 4.4.0-104 boots fine.
>>
>> Is there something I can do about this?
>
> See:
> https://usn.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3522-3/
> "Details
>
> USN-3522-1 fixed a vulnerability in the Linux kernel to address
> Meltdown (CVE-2017-5754). Unfortunately, that update introduced
> a regression where a few systems failed to boot successfully. This
> update fixes the problem."
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1741934
> Kernel trace with xenial 4.4 (4.4.0-108.131, Candidate kernels for PTI fix)

kernel 4.4.0-109 is available.  I installed it with apt update/upgrade
yesterday and it fix the Non-Boot issue --- without removing any older
kernels - even the borked 4.4.0.108.

Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones    | Marvin      | W3DHJ.net  | linux
   38.238N 104.547W |  @ jonz.net | Jonesy     |  FreeBSD
    * Killfiling google & XXXXbanter.com: jonz.net/ng.htm


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

NoOp-4
On 01/11/2018 07:10 PM, Jonesy via ubuntu-users wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 12:22:41 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> On 1/9/2018 11:42 PM, robert rottermann wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> my good old pc  running 16.04 LTS Desktop got a an update today.
>>>
>>> Now it does not boot any more.
>>>
>>> it is a: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4
>>>
>>> The kernel it got is 4.4.0-108.
>>>
>>> Fro this one it does not boot any more.
>>>
>>> Kernel 4.4.0-104 boots fine.
>>>
>>> Is there something I can do about this?
>>
>> See:
>> https://usn.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3522-3/
>> "Details
>>
>> USN-3522-1 fixed a vulnerability in the Linux kernel to address
>> Meltdown (CVE-2017-5754). Unfortunately, that update introduced
>> a regression where a few systems failed to boot successfully. This
>> update fixes the problem."
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1741934
>> Kernel trace with xenial 4.4 (4.4.0-108.131, Candidate kernels for PTI fix)
>
> kernel 4.4.0-109 is available.  I installed it with apt update/upgrade
> yesterday and it fix the Non-Boot issue --- without removing any older
> kernels - even the borked 4.4.0.108.
>
> Jonesy
>

Yes... that I what USN-3522-3 (that I provided a link for) stated:

<quote>
Details

USN-3522-1 fixed a vulnerability in the Linux kernel to address
Meltdown (CVE-2017-5754). Unfortunately, that update introduced
a regression where a few systems failed to boot successfully. This
update fixes the problem.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Original advisory details:

Jann Horn discovered that microprocessors utilizing speculative
execution and indirect branch prediction may allow unauthorized memory
reads via sidechannel attacks. This flaw is known as Meltdown. A local
attacker could use this to expose sensitive information, including
kernel memory.

Update instructions

The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following
package version:

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
    linux-image-generic 4.4.0.109.114
    linux-image-4.4.0-109-lowlatency 4.4.0-109.132
    linux-image-lowlatency 4.4.0.109.114
    linux-image-4.4.0-109-generic 4.4.0-109.132

To update your system, please follow these instructions:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
</quote>


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users