Quantcast

kmail doesn't show email or headers

Michael Hirsch
My dad called me this morning in a panic with this problem and I was
unable to help him.  I hope someone here knows the answer.

He uses kontact and kmail for his email, and has for around 15 years.
I'm pretty sure he's running 16.04, the latest LTS Kubuntu.

He has many mail folders, which he can see fine in kmail.  But
clicking on one does not display the contents at all.  Neither the
headers nor any contents display.

He usually has a 3 panel view with the folders down the left side, the
headers at the top of the right side, and the message contents at the
bottom of the right side.  The panels should have panel dividers in
between the panels.

Now he has only the folders.  Only the single panel with no panel dividers.

Any ideas for where the missing panels are?

I've been trying to find the place that kmail keeps it's settings for
the panel dividers' locations.  If I can reset them then I hope they
will show up.

Where can I find the values of the dividers?

Thanks,

Michael

Re: kmail doesn't show email or headers

Charles T. Bell

On 02/27/2017 12:49 PM, Michael Hirsch wrote:

> FYI, here is a screenshot of his kmail window
>
> ​
> Michael
>
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Michael Hirsch <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     My dad called me this morning in a panic with this problem and I was
>     unable to help him.  I hope someone here knows the answer.
>
>     He uses kontact and kmail for his email, and has for around 15 years.
>     I'm pretty sure he's running 16.04, the latest LTS Kubuntu.
>
>     He has many mail folders, which he can see fine in kmail.  But
>     clicking on one does not display the contents at all.  Neither the
>     headers nor any contents display.
>
>     He usually has a 3 panel view with the folders down the left side, the
>     headers at the top of the right side, and the message contents at the
>     bottom of the right side.  The panels should have panel dividers in
>     between the panels.
>
>     Now he has only the folders.  Only the single panel with no panel
>     dividers.
>
>     Any ideas for where the missing panels are?
>
>     I've been trying to find the place that kmail keeps it's settings for
>     the panel dividers' locations.  If I can reset them then I hope they
>     will show up.
>
>     Where can I find the values of the dividers?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Michael

Did you have him check the "Settings" menu?
Then click "Configure Kmail..."?
Then click "Appearance"?
Then click "Layout"?
Make sure that "Show the message preview pane below the message list"?

Since I use Thunderbird, not Kmail, that is the best I can suggest to help.
Good luck!

Tom Bell
--
The thing about quotes on the internet is you
cannot confirm their validity. ~Abraham Lincoln

cbell44.vcf (158 bytes) Download Attachment

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 5:42 AM, Charles T. Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/27/2017 12:49 PM, Michael Hirsch wrote:
>> FYI, here is a screenshot of his kmail window
>>

>> Michael
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Michael Hirsch <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     My dad called me this morning in a panic with this problem and I was
>>     unable to help him.  I hope someone here knows the answer.
>>
>>     He uses kontact and kmail for his email, and has for around 15 years.
>>     I'm pretty sure he's running 16.04, the latest LTS Kubuntu.
>>
>>     He has many mail folders, which he can see fine in kmail.  But
>>     clicking on one does not display the contents at all.  Neither the
>>     headers nor any contents display.
>>
>>     He usually has a 3 panel view with the folders down the left side, the
>>     headers at the top of the right side, and the message contents at the
>>     bottom of the right side.  The panels should have panel dividers in
>>     between the panels.
>>
>>     Now he has only the folders.  Only the single panel with no panel
>>     dividers.
>>
>>     Any ideas for where the missing panels are?
>>
>>     I've been trying to find the place that kmail keeps it's settings for
>>     the panel dividers' locations.  If I can reset them then I hope they
>>     will show up.
>>
>>     Where can I find the values of the dividers?
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     Michael
>>

> Did you have him check the "Settings" menu?
> Then click "Configure Kmail..."?
> Then click "Appearance"?
> Then click "Layout"?
> Make sure that "Show the message preview pane below the message list"?

Yes, we tried that.  Since he doesn't even have the message list it is
something else going on.

In the past he has managed to drag the separator between the folder
and the messages so far to the left that the folder were not visible.
I hoped for something like that here, but haven't found it.  My kmail
no longer lets me drag the separator that far over.

I still can't find where the UI configuration is stored.  I've tried
dragging my panel separator, then looking for changed files and can't
find one that seems to hold that data.

Where is the kmail UI configuration saved?

On 02/28/2017 01:18 PM, Michael Hirsch wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 5:42 AM, Charles T. Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 02/27/2017 12:49 PM, Michael Hirsch wrote:
>>> FYI, here is a screenshot of his kmail window
>>>

>>> Michael
>>>
>>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Michael Hirsch <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     My dad called me this morning in a panic with this problem and I was
>>>     unable to help him.  I hope someone here knows the answer.
>>>
>>>     He uses kontact and kmail for his email, and has for around 15 years.
>>>     I'm pretty sure he's running 16.04, the latest LTS Kubuntu.
>>>
>>>     He has many mail folders, which he can see fine in kmail.  But
>>>     clicking on one does not display the contents at all.  Neither the
>>>     headers nor any contents display.
>>>
>>>     He usually has a 3 panel view with the folders down the left side, the
>>>     headers at the top of the right side, and the message contents at the
>>>     bottom of the right side.  The panels should have panel dividers in
>>>     between the panels.
>>>
>>>     Now he has only the folders.  Only the single panel with no panel
>>>     dividers.
>>>
>>>     Any ideas for where the missing panels are?
>>>
>>>     I've been trying to find the place that kmail keeps it's settings for
>>>     the panel dividers' locations.  If I can reset them then I hope they
>>>     will show up.
>>>
>>>     Where can I find the values of the dividers?
>>>
>>>     Thanks,
>>>
>>>     Michael
>>>

>> Did you have him check the "Settings" menu?
>> Then click "Configure Kmail..."?
>> Then click "Appearance"?
>> Then click "Layout"?
>> Make sure that "Show the message preview pane below the message list"?
>
> Yes, we tried that.  Since he doesn't even have the message list it is
> something else going on.
>
> In the past he has managed to drag the separator between the folder
> and the messages so far to the left that the folder were not visible.
> I hoped for something like that here, but haven't found it.  My kmail
> no longer lets me drag the separator that far over.
>
> I still can't find where the UI configuration is stored.  I've tried
> dragging my panel separator, then looking for changed files and can't
> find one that seems to hold that data.
>
> Where is the kmail UI configuration saved?
>
> Michael

I would say to use "locate kmailrc" command on the commandline and
select the line that starts with "/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/"
I don't know how much longer the line will be, but however long you can
find one version of kmailrc there.
Good luck!

Tom Bell
--
The thing about quotes on the internet is you
cannot confirm their validity. ~Abraham Lincoln

cbell44.vcf (158 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: kmail doesn't show email or headers

Clay Weber-2

Actually the user's kmailrc will be in ~/.config or possibly ~/.local/share . the local user config takes precedence over any system wide default settings.

Clay Weber

On 02/28/2017 01:18 PM, Michael Hirsch wrote:> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 5:42 AM, Charles T. Bell  wrote:>>>>>> On 02/27/2017 12:49 PM, Michael Hirsch wrote:>>> FYI, here is a screenshot of his kmail window>>>>>>>>> Michael>>>>>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Michael Hirsch >> > wrote:>>>>>>     My dad called me this morning in a panic with this problem and I was>>>     unable to help him.  I hope someone here knows the answer.>>>>>>     He uses kontact and kmail for his email, and has for around 15 years.>>>     I'm pretty sure he's running 16.04, the latest LTS Kubuntu.>>>>>>     He has many mail folders, which he can see fine in kmail.  But>>>     clicking on one does not display the contents at all.  Neither the>>>     headers nor any contents display.>>>>>>     He usually has a 3 panel view with the folders down the left side, the>>>     headers at the top of the right side, and the message contents at the>>>     bottom of the right side.  The panels should have panel dividers in>>>     between the panels.>>>>>>     Now he has only the folders.  Only the single panel with no panel>>>     dividers.>>>>>>     Any ideas for where the missing panels are?>>>>>>     I've been trying to find the place that kmail keeps it's settings for>>>     the panel dividers' locations.  If I can reset them then I hope they>>>     will show up.>>>>>>     Where can I find the values of the dividers?>>>>>>     Thanks,>>>>>>     Michael>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Did you have him check the "Settings" menu?>> Then click "Configure Kmail..."?>> Then click "Appearance"?>> Then click "Layout"?>> Make sure that "Show the message preview pane below the message list"?> > Yes, we tried that.  Since he doesn't even have the message list it is> something else going on.> > In the past he has managed to drag the separator between the folder> and the messages so far to the left that the folder were not visible.> I hoped for something like that here, but haven't found it.  My kmail> no longer lets me drag the separator that far over.> > I still can't find where the UI configuration is stored.  I've tried> dragging my panel separator, then looking for changed files and can't> find one that seems to hold that data.> > Where is the kmail UI configuration saved?> > Michael> I would say to use "locate kmailrc" command on the commandline andselect the line that starts with "/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/"I don't know how much longer the line will be, but however long you canfind one version of kmailrc there.Good luck!Tom Bell-- The thing about quotes on the internet is youcannot confirm their validity. ~Abraham Lincoln-- kubuntu-users mailing[hidden email]ify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

On 03/01/2017 12:09 PM, Clay Weber wrote:

> Actually the user's kmailrc will be in ~/.config or possibly
> ~/.local/share . the local user config takes precedence over any system
> wide default settings.
>
> Clay Weber

Actually, I found the kmailrc at three locations and only one had more
lines than one in it.
The following:
[Geometry]
ColumnOrder=0
ColumnWidths=246
TotalColumn=-1
UnreadColumn=-1

[TipOfDay]
RunOnStart=false

[Reader]
htmlMail=true

...was found in the one that started with,
"/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/".
I am not an expert, I just know what I found to exist.
Good luck!

Tom Bell