kmail kaddressbook problem

dave s-5
Hi all,

Does anyone else have this problem,

Start kmail, compose new message, press select button to access kaddressbook,
the list is empty. I can always get recent addresses but resource is empty.

The solution, cancell compose new message then select it again and then press
select button, all works flawlessly.

I have checked all the drop down menu options, even 'all' does not give me my
resources on the first attempt.

I am considering purging kmail and kaddressbook, re-installing them then
laboriously re-entering all my email accounts

Any ideas ?

Dave

Re: kmail kaddressbook problem

Richard Curley
On Tuesday 22 November 2005 14:09, dave s wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone else have this problem,
>
> Start kmail, compose new message, press select button to access
> kaddressbook, the list is empty. I can always get recent addresses
> but resource is empty.

No answers in 4 days, surprising.

Anyway my address book shows up flawlessly when creating a new
message, and I have moved the file between several distros - Mepis,
PCLinuxOS, Suse 10 and Kubuntu in the past few months. All have been
stable.  The file started several years ago on some unknown distro
and has grown.  I don't think you need to lose your data if you purge
Kontact and reinstall.  That might be better than just installing
KMail.  Unless you didn't install Kontact.

Save all your config files as well as data.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont.Can

Linux    Kubuntu 5.0.4
KDE    v. 3.4.2
Kontact  v. 1.1.2

On Sunday 27 November 2005 01:01, Merv Curley wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 November 2005 14:09, dave s wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anyone else have this problem,
> >
> > Start kmail, compose new message, press select button to access
> > kaddressbook, the list is empty. I can always get recent addresses
> > but resource is empty.
>
> No answers in 4 days, surprising.
>
> Anyway my address book shows up flawlessly when creating a new
> message, and I have moved the file between several distros - Mepis,
> PCLinuxOS, Suse 10 and Kubuntu in the past few months. All have been
> stable.  The file started several years ago on some unknown distro
> and has grown.  I don't think you need to lose your data if you purge
> Kontact and reinstall.  That might be better than just installing
> KMail.  Unless you didn't install Kontact.
>
> Save all your config files as well as data.

Thanks for the reply :)

I have had kmail stability probs from day one, if I dpkg -P kmail and re
apt-get it I thought I would loose all my carefully setup kmail config.

What files did you save to keep your address book and kmail data intact ?

Cheers
Dave

Re: kmail kaddressbook problem

dave s-5
On Sunday 27 November 2005 01:01, Merv Curley wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 November 2005 14:09, dave s wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anyone else have this problem,
> >
> > Start kmail, compose new message, press select button to access
> > kaddressbook, the list is empty. I can always get recent addresses
> > but resource is empty.
>
> No answers in 4 days, surprising.
>
> Anyway my address book shows up flawlessly when creating a new
> message, and I have moved the file between several distros - Mepis,
> PCLinuxOS, Suse 10 and Kubuntu in the past few months. All have been
> stable.  The file started several years ago on some unknown distro
> and has grown.  I don't think you need to lose your data if you purge
> Kontact and reinstall.  That might be better than just installing
> KMail.  Unless you didn't install Kontact.
>
> Save all your config files as well as data.

Thanks for replying :)

I have had kmail stability issues from day one of install (just crashed while
sending this email)

What files are you saving to move your address book (and kmail accounts ?)
from system to system ? If I can save the configs, I will purge & re-install
kmail, contact & kaddressbook

Cheers

Dave

Re: kmail kaddressbook problem

Richard Curley
On Sunday 27 November 2005 03:28, dave s wrote:
 :)

> I have had kmail stability probs from day one, if I dpkg -P kmail
> and re apt-get it I thought I would loose all my carefully setup
> kmail config.
>
> What files did you save to keep your address book and kmail data
> intact ?
>
> Cheers
> Dave

Wow, I haven't picked up my mail here for awhile,  sorry for the
absence.

In your $HOME directory you will see a hidden file  /.kde,  this is
where most of the good KDE stuff is.  Open /share and /apps.  If you
look in the konqueror directory you will find your bookmarks file,
in kabc  you will find your address file, std.vcf and so on.  These
can all be copied to another distro, should you want to try one out,
or just saved regularly.  if you close /apps and open /config  you
will find the config files for all your kde apps.  Again these can be
copied to another distro so you don't have to figure out all the
little tweaks you did to kate for example.

As I recall kubuntu didn't show me my Mail directory in my $HOME
directory when I installed, so I went looking in the kmail config
file (kmailrc), and in the General section there was a line
[  folders=something ]  which I changed to  folders=/home/merv/Mail.
Now when I ran kmail,  it read the Mail directory which I had copied
from my previous distro.  You can leave yours where Kubuntu has it,
in the [ /.kde/share/apps/kmail directory]?  Copy it somewhere else,
floppy - whatever and then copy it back when you have done your
re-install.

Hopefully I have given you enough info for you to continue your
detective work.  At any rate something is wrong in Denmark if Kmail
isn't stable.

Good luck

Merv

--